Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a sport rider have fun on a Utility?  (Read 14738 times)
1FasterBlaster

« on: December 18, 2005, 09:25:23 PM »

I 'm used to blasting down trails full throttle with all my buddies on their 400's and 450's.
 A couple of months ago, I severed two nerves in my throttle thumb. I've tried to ride the trails like I use to...but I just can't do it. It hurts like hell trying to ride fast with my thumb.
  Is there a Utility quad than rides fast , but doesn't feel like I'm gonna flip over? Is it as fun as sport riding?
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:31:07 PM »

Twist throttle?

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
themensh

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 10:00:55 PM »

wow.....what a question.
  Here is my background.....I ride a Honda 1500 goldwing for my street bike.
  I have ridden Kawasaki 400s, a Yamaha 650, a Suzuki 125, A Honda
1100 and 1200 Goldwing, 1000cc Harley sportster, and a Honda elite 50cc.
   I had fun...no matter which bike I was riding.
  Now, if you have limitations as far as riding......but you still want to ride?
  Ride whatever you can.  My friends called me a 'motorcycle sleeper'.....
because I would ride ANYTHING...Honda, Yamaha, Harley......yup.....I like to ride.  I could not go as fast on the Honda elite.....and didn't sound quite like a Sportster...but you know what?   Yup...I was riding.
   Ahhhhhhh........hope you get better soon.

Chuck
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

Just a good ole' boy never meanin no harm.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:03:20 PM »

Twist throttle?

Or if that doesnt work, take a jet ski throttle. Its a "trigger" for the throttle. Learned that one last week from Slow450r.

2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:07:14 PM »

I have a jetski and yes that throttle is kewl. But quads ride a lot harder than a jetski does in the water. I was thinking of switching to utility because the suspension is smoother.
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »

elkas?? Haha, just kidding. Go for a Big Bore UTE. You can get a grizzly 660 used with low hours for about 3700-5k

Good bike, great power and easy throttle.

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Numkut

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:30:08 PM »

Well I've always liked stock UTEs over stock sports. Coming off a racing dirtbike sports feel chocked up with sketchy suspension (refering to a stock raptor660 which was my dads old ride), while I've always loved how nice and smooth the utilitys are. You can enjoy the veiw and ride alot slower while having as much fun. When I go places with my Uncle and when want to just have a nice relaxing day and check out the sites we ride his 2 Polaris 500s. They are a blast. Plus those big ol seats feel so good. As far as keeping up with your buddys you might have a problem there. I tried keeping up with a RM125 I was with in Neveda and I had that 500 pinned the whole time and he was still WAY ahead of me. Theres defiantly tons of fun to be had on Utilities powerslides are awsome I can do donuts all day on our Grizzly and I've been through the side of a lake so these machines really can go through just aobut anything.

Magnum330

Having Fun on ATV.Com Now Lets Ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 11:58:12 PM »

Hey The Utilitys are great fun also. If you can go to tractor supply company they have a throttle extension that you can adjust and use the palm of you hand works great and you don't need as much force to push it to the limit.

Donnie
Meet ya out on the trail.
ish

It ain't fast without mixed gas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 11:23:38 AM »

I have both and yes you can have a great time on either. mostly i have more fun on the ute due to the fact that i am muddin and have the cooler strapped to the bike so wherever i want to have a break i do.

SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 11:39:54 AM »

Sport quads and Utilities are both extremely fun in their own ways. But honestly I dont see how anyone can compare the two because they are truely two different worlds.

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 02:49:15 PM »

Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike.  Its the Yamaha Wolverine.  They just redesigned it though and I think they are only classifying it as a sport bike now.  I have the 2001 model which looks more like a utility with the big front and rear rackes.  Take a look at the new one.  It looks bad ass....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/477/0/home.aspx
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 03:20:39 PM »

1 FB-
Come out the next time susieblazer & Hoss meet me & Stitch, and you can try my Eiger & see what you think. Also, the twist throttle suggestion is a great one. Cheaper than buyin' a new quad.

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
themensh

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 04:35:39 PM »

>>"Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike."<<

I think the Polaris Scrambler 500 is pretty close to SPORT.....and has 4X4.....

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV/2005Models/Scrambler500/

I guess it depends how close to sport OR utility you want to get?

(I was thinking about getting a Scrambler, until I found my used Yamaha Grizzly)

Chuck
raptor426

Its 5'oclock somewhere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 11:42:37 AM »

Sport quads and Utilities are both extremely fun in their own ways. But honestly I dont see how anyone can compare the two because they are truely two different worlds.
I agree 100% with that.  I ride a raptor 660R, and I prefer sport bikes over UTEs, but when I ride my dads Grizzle 660, well, all I can say is that mudding is A LOT of FUN!!

2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »

Try  the  twist  throttle  first.  Like  GPSKurt  said  its  a  LOT  cheeper  then  a  new  quad.  If  you  go  this  route  just  be  very  careful  till  you  get  used  to  the  twist.  Ive  never  used  anything  else  so  trust  me  once  you  get  used  to  it  you  will  love  it ! Thumbs Up

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 01:37:12 PM »

Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike.  Its the Yamaha Wolverine.  They just redesigned it though and I think they are only classifying it as a sport bike now.  I have the 2001 model which looks more like a utility with the big front and rear rackes.  Take a look at the new one.  It looks bad ass....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/477/0/home.aspx

yea... my dad has one, its prety nice but it depends if you want to shift or not. the autamatic trany is pretty good tho, it goes a lil over 50mph
sct450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 06:14:09 PM »

i just heard today that bombardier makes an 800. the guy told me it was faster than a 450 and it is 4x4.

04 YFZ450
GO NOLES
GO PHINS
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2005, 12:53:02 AM »

i just heard today that bombardier makes an 800. the guy told me it was faster than a 450 and it is 4x4.

That thing is a BEAST!

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
florida gator

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 03:34:16 PM »

I have a Scrambler and I have never been left behind by a sport bike and I can go where most utilities go. Not much of a wheelie machine with the extra weight in the front end but great all around bike.
qt314nfla

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 12:51:04 AM »

I need to put some work in to my wolverine to get it running like I want it.  You are welcome to try mine out.  I ride it hard....well as hard as I know how to run it.  I have a blast w/ it.  The serious sport will leave me behind for now.  But I generally run it in front of the utes on the group rides.  It doesn't jump well, but I've had it 4 ft off the ground.  Doesn't wheelie well....YET!  And it hangs w/ the utes in the mud.
stump66
Supreme Member

Quads we ride by God we abide

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 07:17:20 PM »

JUST GETTIUNG OUTDOORS SHOULD BE ENOUG, WHO YA RACIN' SQUIRTS?  JK   Bonk Bonk

GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!
2 rut

simple man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 07:26:43 PM »

i dont know can u ?

98 f150 3in w/305-70-17's    
05 big bear
02 lakota  
2 kids on my weekends 
and a mortgage
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2005, 05:12:12 AM »

Don't know if I can get use to a twist throttle. Going wide open while trying to hang on and hitting a tree doesn't sound too exciting.I've almost done that with the thumb throttle.
 I do like the sport riding. But the new trail system also is starting to make me think a utility might be the only way to ride. Me and some buddies went riding on the west side of Ocala forest just off 42. Thirty minutes down a trail, we saw a fence post right in front of the trail posting no motorized vehicles.
stump66
Supreme Member

Quads we ride by God we abide

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2005, 06:24:06 AM »

Its sounds like the area you ended up at was around "BIG BASS LK" that was our favorite family spot but they were logging it and you want to talk about tearing up the forest, GEEZ  Angry it looked like a bomb went of. And they say WE ruin the joint.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
GLEN aka sport66 aka STUMP66  Loved by All

GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!
Scramdaddy

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 09:11:06 AM »

One of my favorite feature's of the Scrambler's is the ability to ride pretty fast as well as cruise around with a beer in your clutch hand! Cool

2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  Gen3usa.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com