Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Cypress is for the Big Dogs only!  (Read 16621 times)
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:48:56 AM »

I went to Big Cypress this weekend and had a BLAST. However, I made two mistakes: 1. I went alone 2. I did not have a winch, only a come-along.
Spent almost 2 hours getting myself unstuck. The Burns trail is nasty and muddy and deep. If you want a good long ride that is full of undercarriage cleaning water mixed with some of the nastiest mud, The Burns trail is for you.
Probably the longest 5 hours of my life. Once the trail starts to get soupy, there is not a break for miles. Harsh trail with bumps, lumps, mud, water, and stumps.  A real challenge. Best part, after about an hour of orientation and the Rangers making sure your bike can handle the trails (9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width) and $50, trail after trail of LEGAL riding. PLEASE if you are an idiot that will ruin it for everyone else, DO NOT APPLY. After a few times out there I have seen only one other ATC out there.

Side note: I want to thank Russ the Park Ranger again for helping me out. Thanks Russ. I could have not gotten myself unstuck without his support.  Wink

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:28:56 AM »

Lets see some pics dude? I don't beleive you.  Grin

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:45:39 AM »

Was walking out of the house, had my camera in my hand, then I had to walk back in to kiss my wife, put the camera down and forgot it.  Angry     It will not happen again. Believe me there is some nasty stuff out there. Water is not snorkel deep but it is knee cap deep.

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 08:30:16 PM »

that place is beautiful in the spring, its not near as wet.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »

(9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width)  is that the smallist they can be or the bigist

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:33:59 PM »

(9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width)  is that the smallist they can be or the bigist

That's the smallest they can be.  I guess they think bigger tires are better for the ground.   Shocked
OUTLAWMUD

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 09:42:15 AM »

i ran 26 laws all the way when i had my bike they said because it gives a wider foot print it does less harm

DITCH THE CHICK AND GO MUDDIN

BEIN BROKE IN THE MUD IS BETTER THAN BEIN BROKE AT WORK

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER BUT STILL TO YOUNG TO CARE

TO MUCH FUN WHATS THE MEAN???

I AINT FIRST CLASS BUT I AINT WHITE TRASH WILD AND ALITTLE CRAZY TO
BADAZZ750

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »

Where is this place at? Is it $50 bucks a day or what? How come nobody rides there or do they?

05 BRUTE FORCE 750 WITH 27`S (MINE)        05 POLARIS PREDATOR 50 (DAUGHTERS)
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:52:53 PM »

$50 for a year. Or three years, dont remember. Go to their website  http://www.nps.gov/bicy/orv/orvpage.htm  Why more people dont go there may becasue they are afraid, oooooooo.   Dunno why more people dont ride there. The stuff I just rode in was mean, really mean. Evil  It is not a mud hole that is 50 to 100 feet wide, this stuff is a mile or more of pure challenge. Really mental and physical  Huh   

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
CAPT69

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 08:58:07 PM »

Hey Keeter I'm in Ft. Lauderdale also, i'll ride with you  Grin
bbf
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 01:56:56 AM »

that sound like a good place to ride i like to check it out
Anoriginal

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 07:57:59 AM »

People don't ride there because its not an ORV park. There is a 15mph speed limit that is enforced. There are designated trails in many areas that you must stick to or get kicked out.

It's really not a place for recreational ATV riding.
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 11:06:39 AM »

Anoriginal, sounds like sour grapes to me. The people you may be referring to might be the people who like to speed unsafely down the trails. This place is for going 15 mph, not 60.  I have been down 3 different rails and they all are not made to go more than 15. These trails are for big ATC's not the crotch rockets( no offense to the crotch rocket guys  Roll Eyes ). Outdoorsman and the like. Wish I had pictures.

You said  "People don't ride there because its not an ORV park". Then what is it? What do you consider "a place for recreational ATV riding"? There are two schools of thought here. 1. The Outdoorsman who likes riding your Grizzly or in my case a Sportsman in the woods facing different terrains.( not to generalize all Grizzly and Sportsman riders  Smiley ) and 2. The Banshee riders who (not to generalize all Banshee riders  Smiley ) push the limits of their bikes for the unbridled thrill. What school are you from?

My point is that there are two types of ATC's.  How fast can you go and how deep can you go. Different trails for different folks.

Then again it is your opinion just like this rant is mine. 

Big Cypress is awesome, I am off the entire week of the 19th of December and plan on riding sometime during that week. Who is with me Grin Grin

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Anoriginal

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 01:14:55 PM »

Big Cypress is a National Preserve. We are able to access it on ORV's by the skin of our teeth. 15mph and stick to the trails is great. Problem is, not many people do it. You are right that it is a place for 4x4 ATV's and not sport bikes.

Not sour grapes. I love the place and respect it. However, as soon as people start treating it like an off road park, we'll lose it.

Have fun
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »

Anoriginal, I understand your motivation and concern. People like you and I can help prevent this from happening by educating people we see out there.  The damage I see is from non-ATC vehicles. The type of damage I see can only be done by large vehicles. I am not talking 44's. At least on the trails I have been on.

I would love to ride with you. Let me know the next time you plan to go out. Smiley

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 10:45:44 PM »

at the first of the year em and my freinds will be driving up there and geting all of our atvs perments to ride out there i cant wate now i got to get my winch fixed

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
2 rut

simple man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 06:31:59 PM »

[
People don't ride there because its not an ORV park. There is a 15mph speed limit that is enforced. There are designated trails in many areas that you must stick to or get kicked out.

It's really not a place for recreational ATV riding.

thats exactlily it keeter diffrent strokes 4 diffrent folks but in the end its still atv

98 f150 3in w/305-70-17's    
05 big bear
02 lakota  
2 kids on my weekends 
and a mortgage
themensh

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 07:23:38 PM »

Riding trails around my area...and even in Ocala, I seldom get over 18 MPH.    Just the riding I seem to do so far.
     I want more places like BIg Cypress.......and NO, it may not be for everybody but the more places we can get open to ATVs....and show that
we are not a bunch of thugs and hoodlums, the more we may get open in the future.
    I heard on the news the other night that Florida is ranked number 4 in the U.S.A. in ATV registrations.  I bet we are not even #15 in trails/riding areas.
  Anyhow.......got to put Cypress on my list of places to visit....15 MPH or not.

Chuck
MuddingMark

Show me the mud and I'm in it!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 07:34:14 AM »

Hi All,

When I took the class last summer, I found that you only have to stick to the trails for the first ½ mile that you travel from the road after that it’s a free for all. The major thing is to stay out of the prairies they are restricted. During the test you are presented with pictures of the damage that can be done when traveling where you are not suppose to be, meaning that permanent trails begin to form and there is no recovery for years. They have developed some trails in hope to minimize the impact.

The sport in the Big Cypress is to meet the challenges of the environment not the need for speed. I agree that there are two forms of thought here and each demands it’s own respect but the Big Cypress is for those who need the All Terrain Travel challenge. Personally I like both, to dig up mud and get filthy dirty, and to rider because it’s so beautiful out there.

All things aside, I want to do some camping from my ATV this winter and would love to have some friends, ATV people, join me. We could get together and make some kind of party out of this.

MuddingMark  Cool

Now this is stress relief!
MuddingMark

Show me the mud and I'm in it!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 07:50:33 AM »

Hi All,

Speaking of where to ride. In the big Cypress there are different trails. The Burns Lake trail is the only one that you are aloud to drive your ATV into the camp area. By the way the Burns Lake camp area closes sometime in January. All the other trails are just launch points with out camping at the head of the trail.

One of the trails that I especially like is the Monument Road at least that is what they called it when I was a kid. It starts at Monroe Station and goes north several miles on semi-maintained trails. You can find it on the trail maps. The terrain varies and offers camping anywhere you choose.

There is another more popular trail that launches from the Loop Road close to the head of the Florida Trail. I’ve never been there but have seen vehicles lined up along the road.

Anyway, I think this winter will be nice and the Big Cypress could be some fun. The $50 per year is nothing compared to $30 a month for L-Cross, which is over crowded. I also enjoy Holey Lands but that’s a little limited too. Each offers its pros and cons.

Looking forward to the adventures as the water levels drop.

MuddingMark  Cool

Now this is stress relief!
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »

MuddingMark, chuck, rancher 350, gamer, and everyone else who wants to ride BC.

I am up for Big Cypress any weekend. I am off the last two weeks of December. During that time I am willing to go anythime during then as well.  I am on this board VERY often, so reply to this thread or post a thread inside the "Group ride or event " board. I have got the fever and I want to ride, not by myself, I have learned my lesson the hard way on Burns Trail.

Again to ECHO what Anoriginal and I spoke of, "Repect for the land" and "NO Knuckleheads" on the trails.

Keeter

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
bbf
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 03:36:08 AM »

i would like to ride with you all i am off for the first 2 weeks of jan
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »

With the Holidays and New Years approaching I won't be able to go until January.  My friends and I have planned the camping dates in Big Cypress for the 20th, 21st and 22nd.  We have not decided if were doing back country camping or staying somewhere outside of Big Cypress.  I'll keep you posted.
themensh

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »

I have yet to even look on a map to see where Big Cypress is........
what area of the state is it in?
     Seems like every place charges $50 for the year to ride, and none of these recipricate?  (I could spend $50 for Croom, $50 (coming soon) at
Ocala and $50 at Big Cypress......and only use Croom and Big Cypress once.
  That is allot of dough to be handing out.......hopefully they will come up with a 'day pass'....kind of "try-it-before-you-buy-it-for-a-year".
     Anyhow....got to add Big Cypress to the list.

Chuck
dirty1

Im in it for the RIDE.....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »

ok first off, the reason not many people ride it is because there are a limited amount of permits per year..... its first come first serve with the guys  who are  renewing ahead of everyone. the other resons why its not big and not known to many atv'ers is because it is alot more on the hunting side than anything else.   and the old timers dont like it much for bikes to be in there.   burns lake,  and oasis station are the two  that are used more for pleasure than hunting.  i am a hunter with a buggy aswell as someone who likes doing donuts in the mudd on my foreman so i dont say ya or nay to either side of means of travel and what you do out there.... my only thing is" TO THOSE OF YOU KNEW TO IT AND UNFRAMILIAR,   THE SAME POEPLE WHO TOOK THE SQUARES aka BADLUCK ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO CAN TAKE BIG CYPRESS.  THERE ARE RULES AND REGULATIONS THAT ARE ENFORCED EVEN BIKES TAKEN.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND RESEARC BIG CYPRESS BEFORE GOING........   oh yeah here are some pics for those who havent been.

[attachment deleted by admin]

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com