Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tates Hell  (Read 11160 times)
themensh

« on: November 21, 2005, 08:31:04 PM »

I justheard about this place....and since I have never heard of it....maybe someone else would enjoy the info.  I thought it interesting the quote “The key to the success of this trail site, as with future sites, depends on how responsible the users are in riding on these trails”.
  I sent a 'thank-you' to Mr Bronson..along with incouragement to open more trails on state land.

>>The OHV Trail System in Tate’s Hell State Forest will give ATV and OHM users an opportunity to ride their vehicles on more than 150 miles of designated trails on existing forest roads. While riding the trails, forest users can expect to see various ecosystems including cypress/tit swamps, blackwater creeks and pine flatwoods. It’s hoped that the availability of this and future trails will cut down on ATV and other vehicle use in undesignated areas which result in damage to the ecosystem.

“The primary purpose of the Tate’s Hell OHV Trail System is to give the public an opportunity to explore the forest with an alternative to driving a car or a truck,” Bronson (Charles H. Bronson; Florida's Commisioner of Agriculture)said. “The key to the success of this trail site, as with future sites, depends on how responsible the users are in riding on these trails”.

The T. Mark Schmidt OHV Safety and Recreation Act requires each ATV and OHM to purchase a title, similar to those required by car buyers, prior to riding on any public lands that have a designated area for OHV riding. The titles are available through the Florida Department of Highway and Motor Vehicles at any county tag office. The law provides that the title fees be used to develop the OHV trails. To ride on the new Tate’s Hell OHV Trail System, each ATV or OHM owner will also have to purchase an annual permit at a cost of $50.00 per year (permits are prorated for each quarter of the fiscal year). Permits are valid for riding at either the Tate’s Hell OHV Trail System or the Croom Motorcycle Area at the Withlacoochee State Forest in Brooksville.<<

Chuck

ronny86250r

keeping up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »

as far as i understand your croom sticker is good there also
2Raptors

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:50:18 AM »

Who's gone riding there?  I'm sure we'd all like to get more information before making that trip.
SwampRat

Life's hard; get a helmet.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 11:42:10 AM »

Is there camping (toy hauler) allowed at Tates Hell?  If so, is there any additional cost?

06 F-250 4x4 PSD TowCommand
06 Weekend Warrior FS2300; Onan 4KW Genset
05 Suzuki King Quad; 27" 589's; 2.5 Warn Winch; Garmin Map76 GPS
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/SwampRat_/Avatars/mudriders.jpg
Anoriginal

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 01:29:58 PM »

Tate's Hell will be closing to ORV use after the first of the year. I just read about it on myfwc.com.   Sad
ronny86250r

keeping up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 01:37:33 PM »

that figures just when people started to go there they close it down hopefully they open it up again after they do there impact testing
themensh

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »

Unless we (ATV'rs) let them know we are here........they won't know.
  If you don't take time to write/e-mail/ or call, you can't really pregnant dog about it.
   I don't know why Tates Hell has shut down so soon......but we can write letters asking for it to be reopened...why it was closed.....and to have more trails added.

write to : Charles H. Bronson, Commisioner of Agriculture
                 Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
                 The Capitol
                 Tallahassee, FL 32399-0800
                  http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/

I just sent this:
Division of Forestry
dof_support@doacs.state.fl.us
I have just recently found out about Tates Hell off road vehicle (ORV) trails
being opened, just south of Tallahassee.  Then a couple days later I hear that Tates Hell is closing to ORV's on January 1st, 2006.
  Can you please verify for me this information, and if the trails are being closed to ORV's, please provide me with the reason. A point of contact and e-mail address would also be appreciated.
   Thanks in advance,
PaulyV500

Ride on!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 09:53:23 AM »

Iwould love to read the article that says it is going to be closed.  I just spent the better part of an hour looking on that site and never saw anytrhing about a closure. I did find alot of info on Tate's Hell, hope this is just another piece of negative info because 150 + miles sounds great.

2006 Bombardier Outlander 800 XT advantage timber
2007 Can AM Outlander 500 Max Red
2006 Can AM Outlander 400 Advantage Timber
Mickey Mouse ATV
racemanfl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »

The last I read about it ,it was going to close for hunting season.
They will do a study and see if all atv's followed the rules and didn't tear things up or go off the trails.
They said they would annouce in the spring if its going to open again,  Jerry
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 09:33:33 PM »

not really sure I'm all that enthused about driving up there to ride,,,,check out what I pulled from the rules list.

All roads have a maximum speed of 30 mph. No person shall drive any vehicle on managed lands at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under existing conditions or in such a manner that disregards the actual and potential hazards. OHVs are required to obey all traffic and information signs.

and the trail system that is promised is an interlocking set of roads,,,,looks to me like they match the clay roads in Ocala,,,,sorry but doesn't seem all that great to me.

and also looks like a 3 mile by 3 mile not-so-square area, whoopie.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »

thought I would give the link so everyone can see for themselves.

http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/thsf_ohv_index.html

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
themensh

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 09:27:54 AM »

I don't think the idea is how big the area the State authorized us ATV'rs to use....it's that they DID it at ALL!
   This is a small step for us.  We need to get active and request more areas to ride, and so what YOU may not travel up there to ride it, but others that live in that area may need it.....and others traveling to Florida on vacation may want it!
   Look how many people crave to go to West Virginia to ride the Hatfield-McCoy trails....they made a tourist destination from it!
   Florida could do the same......and Us ATV'rs in Florida would benefit.
  We have to encourage our representatives that this would be a good thing.
    Tates Hell is good step forward...a small one? Yes, but lets move a little bit more forward now.

(on my way to Ocala now....one hour drive)...LOL
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 09:36:35 AM »

I don't doubt at all that it's a good thing, and a small step towards what we all want,,,,in fact if that place was within an hour's drive of me, I'd go check it out.

I think that the forestry service could take some pointers from Durhamtown up in Georgia.  I'm unemployed, broke, and yet I'm still trying to find a way to get back there.

and it's about a 9 hour drive.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
bcnucs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 08:31:36 PM »

We are planning a trip in 2 weeks and were going to try Tates hell.  Has anyone ever rode there.  Details please.

05 Arctic Cat 650 V2(Lime Green)
28" Mudlites
dg5 module
red epi secondary clutch spring
maroon epi primary spring
themensh

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 09:47:32 PM »

BCnucs......Tates hell seems to be a bit of a new thing.
  How about going there for us......getting a good view?
  How is the surrounding area?   Nearby town, how do they feel?
   How about stopping into a local dealer (yamaha/honda/suzuki dealer/whatever).......get their take on it.
   Let US know how you do. OK?

Chuck'roast
indianjoe
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »

Tate's Hell OHV Trail system is not closed, The trails that are being talked about that are closing are in the wildlife management area, which is seperate and those trails will reopen in Jan.. Got this info. from Chris Reed the OHV Coordinator with the Division of Forestry. If someone has a link to the info. In the FWC site that talks about this he would like to see it.
themensh

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 07:19:08 PM »

Just got this reply:

Chuck,
  The OHV area for Tate’s Hell State Forest is still open and there are no plans of closing it anytime soon.  These areas can be closed temporary due to storms and other natural elements so it is good to call them ahead of time.  The number is 850/697-3734.  Have a great day and thank you for your interest in Florida’s state forests.
 P.S. we will be sending you a copy of our new state forest guide.

John C. Waldron
Forest Recreation Coordinator
850/414-9852

My reply:

"Thank you, Mr. Walden for your information.  I have just become active
in the ATV owner arena.
    I am not really an ecologist, but I realize that care must be taken
with the environment and I believe that ATVs and off road areas can co-exist.
  I enjoy the freedom to explore areas that may normally be out of reach
by other means.
   Please help me and other ATV'ers gain access to other areas in Florida.
        Thanks again for your reply"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:40:52 PM by chuck (roast) » Logged
themensh

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 08:47:16 PM »

and in addition, I received this:

"I also wanted to let you know that the Division of Forestry was given the lead responsibility several years ago to try and open riding areas to the public on lands where it is suitable and not detrimental to the resources.  It’s a slow process but we are gaining some ground.
  Currently the only legal areas to ride on state owned public lands is at the Croom Motorcycle Area in Withlacoochee State Forest and the OHV riding area in Tate’s Hell State Forest.  There is an annual permit fee of $50.00 that will allow riding at both areas.  In Ocala National Forest and Apalachicola National Forests there are also areas where OHV riding is legal.
 We are working on other areas but always can use the political support of people like you in trying to open more areas.  By opening legal areas to the public we can better protect our sensitive resources from illegal riding.

Take care and safe riding!
 John C. Waldron
850/414-9852"

So Come On.........write to these people!  Let them know we are here!

Chuck

MAV400

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 10:12:08 PM »

do you guys have his E-mail address
themensh

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2005, 05:45:57 AM »

John C. Waldron
850/414-9852:

waldroj@doacs.state.fl.us

bloodybear

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 11:54:01 PM »

Glad to hear that Florida OHV is moving forward.  It's a important that everyone knows how strong your voice (letters, showing up for meetings, etc) is.

Has anyone been to Tate's yet?  Was thinking about making a trip out there and checking it out.

My Homepage
Thrasher
Supreme Member

i have a headache...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »

when i was at Croom this weekend, the ranger was telling me that Tates hell is not worth the drive up if u have to travel any kind of time to get there..

You can only ride on the forest roads, not trails thru the woods....the exact opposite of what we are used too...a la Ocala.

2 x 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twins, w/Warn 3000/2500 winches, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage,  Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, 27" Outlaws, Mud chunks, a lil tin can Cheesy

Out to pis
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »

Hey maybe it aint worth it to the guy at Croom but I bet it can't possibly be as crowded ? The state hasn't quite filled up to the top up there ya know? Seems like it's just now filling up to Ocala area. Give it another 5 years and it will be either overcrowded or shut down.
bloodybear

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:25 PM »

Well it's new and needs time to grow.  In order to grow interest needs to be there.  Also people who like to ride need to show up at meetings to give input.  If you're not showing up at meetings your whinning/complaining gets you nowhere. 

How is Croom doing at staying clean and staying on approved trails?  I fear that this is one thing that people that oppose the OHV idea could use against us if we don't take care of the land given to us to use for OHV. 

My Homepage
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com