Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Muffler/back pressure question  (Read 1570 times)
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »

A friend of mine has a 1996 model polaris 500 and he sunk it a while back. He said that he he had it to where it would idle afterwards but it ended up blowing his muffler apart. After it blew apart it quit running. He asked me about a muffler and I told him to get an aftermarket muffler, but someone told him that it he needs to buy a stock muffler because it would not run right because of the back pressure the stock mufler has on it. Is this correct.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 09:21:30 AM »

No. Any muffler is going to provide some backpressure, just some more than others. With more backpressure present, it will give more low end power. But with a more free flowing muffler, you will loose some low end but pick up power in the mid/top range.  With a better flowing muffler the exhaust will be more susceptabile to back firing. But if he did get a better flowing one he may need to rejet the carb. Maybe that's what he is referring to.  Hope this helps. -Mark
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:23:10 AM by Old_School » Logged

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »

I ran into a similar issue on the YFZ where I over modified the stock can. and well that is exactly what happened to mine. no back pressure. soon as I strapped on the slip on pipe it fired right up.
jwscroll
Supreme Member

Singin sweet song, a melody pure and clear

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 05:01:50 AM »

I would not recommend rejetting if all you change is the pipe. A pipe only lets air OUT of the motor, rejetting will require more air to ENTER the motor to compensate for adding more fuel to the mixture.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com