Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best oil i can put it my YFZ 450  (Read 38975 times)
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »

I really want to keep my quad in good condition. But some of my freinds say Yama-lube and others say bel-ray or other oils???

Njoutlaw88

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 08:16:50 PM »

go with the yamaha brand.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 08:20:51 PM »

When I change the oil in my truck I save it and use it in my quads

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
muddinguy1034

old enough to no better but still to young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

i use yamaha its a yamaha stay with yamaha porducts you cant go wrong
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:26:21 AM »

I use water in my case. Works great!  Grin  -Mark

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 10:10:55 AM »

Stop it, you guys. He asked a legitimate question.

You can't go wrong with Yamalube or Bel-Ray. I use Mobil1 synthetic motorcycle oil. You can actually get it at Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps.

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
backinsaddle

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:30:42 AM »

I'm running amsoil.  when i changed from yamalube, i notice a HUGE difference.  shifting was so much smoother, it was like butter
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 02:05:05 PM »

I'm running amsoil.  when i changed from yamalube, i notice a HUGE difference.  shifting was so much smoother, it was like butter

Come to think of it, I did notice the shifting was easier when I switched to synthetic.

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 03:15:35 PM »

So "Amsoil" is a synthetic that can be purchased at any auto parts store?
Pat

Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!
backinsaddle

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 03:51:06 PM »

No, amsoil you have to go through a dealer for.  You can go to www.amsoil.com and find a local dealer.

Amsoil is a funny product.  Most people don't know about it, or don't know much about it.  I grew up in a family of mechanics, none of them have ever used it, but they all heard good things.  I took a chance and am very happy so far.  I'm running it in both of my vehicles and the quads.  I've been told by more than one source that 85% of all nascar cars are running amsoil, regardless of what it says on the hood (don't know if i believe it, but it sounded good)

I will tell you that it's the only product that is truly synthetic, it is made in a lab.  All the other oils that say they are synthetic, are still petroleum based.

Personnally, i would stay away from the honda/yamaha lubes and run a better oil like the ones mentioned in this and other threads on the topic (bel-ray, motul, mobil1).  As long as you change oil regularly, probably doesn't matter a lot what you use.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 09:29:53 PM »

AMSOIL HERE ALSO. Big improvements over all temp is down ETC
Ride1Rob
Supreme Member

YFZ 450!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 09:50:44 PM »

Motul technosynsthesis here. Smells sweet enough for me to Drink and that's no lie! Buy a can and get a wiff of it. Definitely noticed a drastic improvement in my streetbikes performance when I started using it in it, so I started using it in my quad as well and she hasn't missed a beat. Alot of streetbike racers use it and I've been using it for awhile now as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 09:53:31 PM by Ride1Rob » Logged

If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 09:45:18 AM »

I am an AMSOIL dealer if you want some.
jaxdawg2

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 05:56:16 PM »

i have heard some verry good things about amsoil. i havn't used it in my quad yet but i'm deffinately going to put it in there next oil change
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 07:49:32 PM »

I've used MOTUL for about the last 10 oil changes in my blaster and it has worked great but That AMSOIL sounds pretty sweeet have to try that.

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
nATiVcracker

You Gotta Wanna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 08:01:17 PM »

DON'T USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN A BRAND NEW ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO ....ONLY AFTER IT IS BROKEN IN . AND THEN ITS NOT THE GREATEST THING FOR YOUR CLUTCH WHICH OPERATES ON THE PRINCIPLES OF FRICTION . ON A 2005 YFZ450 THE MANUAL RECOMMENDS BETWEEN 10W30 AND 20W40 DEPENDING ON THE OUTDOOR TEMP . LOOK AT THE API RECOMMENDATIONS SE , SF, OR SG . THESE ARE LISTED FOR A REASON . FOR EXAMPLE MOBIL ONE OIL AT WAL-MART OR EVEN YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORES MOST LIKELY WANT INCLUDE THIS . IN OTHER WORDS MAKE SURE YOU USE OIL INTENDED FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES .

TALK TO THE PROS MECHANICS AT THE TRACK ....... OR JUST USE WATER LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED ....LOL
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 08:23:23 PM by nATiVcracker » Logged

06 Brute Force 750 camo 29.5 outlaws
05 YFZ 450 Hipers,elkas, houser arms
05 King Quad 700 27" ITP 589's
04 Ford F250 CrewCab FX4 ,8" lift, 38" Super Swampers
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 08:53:07 PM »

DON'T USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN A BRAND NEW ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO ....ONLY AFTER IT IS BROKEN IN . AND THEN ITS NOT THE GREATEST THING FOR YOUR CLUTCH WHICH OPERATES ON THE PRINCIPLES OF FRICTION . ON A 2005 YFZ450 THE MANUAL RECOMMENDS BETWEEN 10W30 AND 20W40 DEPENDING ON THE OUTDOOR TEMP . LOOK AT THE API RECOMMENDATIONS SE , SF, OR SG . THESE ARE LISTED FOR A REASON . FOR EXAMPLE MOBIL ONE OIL AT WAL-MART OR EVEN YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORES MOST LIKELY WANT INCLUDE THIS . IN OTHER WORDS MAKE SURE YOU USE OIL INTENDED FOR MOTORCYCLE ENGINES .

TALK TO THE PROS MECHANICS AT THE TRACK ....... OR JUST USE WATER LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED ....LOL

Welcome Newbie. Now on to the good stuff... The only thing I could agree with you on is to Use the oil for a motorcycle. Automotive oils have a frictions modifier that will cause damage to a wet clutch system similar to most quads. as for not breaking an engine in on Synthetics. I will have to disagree. I drained the factory oil out of my YFZ as soon as I got it home and installed Amsoil 0W50 spoke to a couple tech reps from amsoil prior to doing so. The only thing that was mentioned is that it may take a little longer for it to break in. I have been Running the Amsoil 20W50 ever since. not a lick of problems unlike what I have  read on YFZ central and Bluetraxx. just my opinion.
YFZ450-Tampa
Supreme Member

Pura Vida !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 09:53:59 PM »

Look there is a important point, one of the Yamaha techs, mentioned to me that if you go synthetic, you shouldn't go back to regular oil, and also said that the clutch worns out a little faster...

Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC
Nightbreed
Supreme Member

ATP Racing Engines Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 01:21:46 AM »

If your quad is fully broken in, Use "AMSOIL, for atv transmissions". We run amsoil in all of our race engines after breakin. I have done a lot of testing with oils and clutchs and we have found that AMSOIL has produced the best results in our engines.

Mike

What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com