Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Rhinos in Ocala  (Read 8040 times)
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:51:10 PM »

I was told by a ranger (Mike Adams)Sat. that when the new trail system goes into effect that Rhinos would not be allowed. He said only machines that had to be straddled would be allowed. This really upsets me because I bought our Rhino specifically for Ocala. I will be checking up on this and I hope it was bad info.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Njoutlaw88

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:04:19 AM »

that sucks. I'm sure you could still ride it on the fire roads.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »

well, we all know how reliable the information that the rangers have is.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point, but if you find out anything, please let us know.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Hoosier Daddy
Southern Flat Track League
Supreme Member

Team WareRacing Member #07

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 10:17:01 AM »

i think its a fine line between a rhino/jeep/sandrail
they are allowed in the forest..... so whats the problem?

BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 10:52:25 AM »

yeah, how much do those things weigh?

I remember the law says something about 900lbs?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 10:55:16 AM »

Now that I am a volunteer for the Forest Service.  Let me tell you what the plans are. Mike Adams (another volunteer) is right in one sense.  In the area that they are currently working on developing the trail system And this system is only under development from rt 316 north to Rodman rev and from Rt 19 on the east to the Ocklawa River on the west.

In this area there are going to be 150 miles of marked, maintained trails.  Part of these trails will be for all offroad vehicles and part will be for ATV's and dirt bikes.  These trails are being funded by a grant that specifically says ATV's, and there classification of ATV's is a 4 wheeler that you straddle, less then 50" in width.  Both Mark Turck and I have complained that you need UTV to go on these trails for safty reasons (last Eureka ride) but so far we have gotten no where.  They will be putting posts 50" apart at all trail heads that are for ATV's only.  

Remember, this is only in the northern most part of the forest.

I have studied the trail maps, and while it may appear we are loosing trails, we are really only loosing duplicate trails.  In addition, due to the maintenance of the trails they will be more ridable. (no longer will there be miles of whoops from Lake Delancy to Rodman pit.)  There will be 6 trailheads with parting for cars and trailers and pit toilets at the trailheads.

If you have any more questions, post they here and I will try to get you the correct answers.

Terry

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »

I really think that exceptions should be made or the definition of ATV should be changed to accomodate these new machines. I was told to E-mail bbush@fs.fed.us with my complaint. I hope others will too. I know after the last Eureka ride a lot of people were impressed with how my Rhino kept up and how usefull it was. I know of at least one that was bought after seeing it and is planning on bringing it to the next ride.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 04:25:42 PM »

Its  great  for  hauling  the  beer  coolers !!! Wink Grin Grin

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Qdawg76
Supreme Member

AKA FLblaster. AKA FLsportsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 05:03:22 PM »

I really think that exceptions should be made or the definition of ATV should be changed to accomodate these new machines. I was told to E-mail bbush@fs.fed.us with my complaint. I hope others will too. I know after the last Eureka ride a lot of people were impressed with how my Rhino kept up and how usefull it was. I know of at least one that was bought after seeing it and is planning on bringing it to the next ride.
I will send an e-mail also, That thing was amazing. Very Impressive and Useful. Smiley

05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 05:29:30 PM »

wtf 50 inchs that sux  what happins if our atv is wider then 50 inch like if we have a coustem irs on the way  Wink 

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
96 warrior

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »

my wheel base is 48 in. on a warrior i dont know how utes are going to fit

96 (and a 98) warrior
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 06:22:05 PM »

mine is like 40 sum thinking all stock

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
bigscrub79
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 09:27:42 AM »

my vinson is 46 overall width. so i think the utes will be ok

Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »

my wheel base is 48 in. on a warrior i dont know how utes are going to fit

your wheelbase is 48" but your width is less(around 43")

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »

dang, if I widen the front any more, I might have to learn how to get it on the two side wheels ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
96 warrior

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »

is there where two poles 46 in apart i couldnt fit   Smiley

96 (and a 98) warrior
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 08:46:02 AM »

Just so you understand the problem Rhino is 53" wide

this is the Yamaha spec page;http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelspecs/486/0/specs.aspx

They are designing the trails to NOT allow UTV's  It is Bret Bush at the Lake George Ranger Station that needs to know our feeling and maybe he can help.

Terry

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 11:17:54 AM »

Thanks Terry, I emailed him and I will try to call him. 3 inches shouldnt be enough to exclude a machine.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Odykid

need places to ride !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »

At the beginning of the year I was told the same thing about my Rhino and Pilot, the Ranger also told me that it will an area for Jeeps and 4X4 trucks, but nether the Rhino or the Pilot will also be allowed in this area ether because they don't have a license plate, Some one inform me that the Rhino fall into the agriculture vehicle qualification  and you can have an special permit to drive it on the streets with a SLOW sing just like the tractors, But in my case the pilot still OUT... I will be sending 2 e-mails to this guys…

my 2 cent's

;)dykid

Looking for TJ Jeep...
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 07:09:31 PM »

I am with you chillin!, remember my DS is also WIDE!!, I would just barely make it through those post settings.
 I dont think the utv`s should be seperated from the atv`s, they are the same power plants as atv`s, and are not plated(license), they are sold @ the same dealerships as atv`s, so WHAT gives???,
 They are also a great way to extract someone @ an accident scene in the middle of nowhere.
                    Just my 2 cents
                    Chillin pm me if you need anymore help with this thing, I will do all I can Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
joecool

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 03:52:26 PM »

I have talked with the right people and have it on good authority that UTV's (utility vehicles like mules and rhinos) may be allowed on about 80 miles of mixed use roads on the Ocala National Forest.  Check out :  http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/news/index.shtml  to see where these mixed use roads are.  UTV's will not be allowed on ATV trails as they do not meet the definition of an ATV as defined by state law and by USDA Forest Service regulations.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 04:32:17 PM »

I also had a long talk today with Bret Bush and its not going to be completly closed to the utility vehicles. It still is going to be very restricted compared to what we have now. My family usually rides with me in front and then my three kids with my wife in the rear on the Rhino with extra gas food and drinks etc. We wont be able to do that any more Sad. It will only get worse because they wont stop until it is completly close to off road use. I also asked why they dont designate small mudding areas or pit areas. He said they would NEVER designate "play" areas. In other words, ride in the forest, on the few designated trails that we leave you, but try not to have fun while doing it.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 01:58:17 AM »

I also had a long talk today with Bret Bush and its not going to be completly closed to the utility vehicles. It still is going to be very restricted compared to what we have now. My family usually rides with me in front and then my three kids with my wife in the rear on the Rhino with extra gas food and drinks etc. We wont be able to do that any more Sad. It will only get worse because they wont stop until it is completly close to off road use. I also asked why they dont designate small mudding areas or pit areas. He said they would NEVER designate "play" areas. In other words, ride in the forest, on the few designated trails that we leave you, but try not to have fun while doing it.

Bret said that because the biologists have the most input in that regard, and any mud play is considered to be habitat destruction. Bret is the most pro-atv Rec. Director in any of the US Forests. He is truly on our side, but he has a HUGE beauracracy(sp?) to deal with. Don't blame him. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have nearly this much trail left to ride.

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »

I know, Kurt. Bret was a nice guy. I dont even care about mudding, I ride a sport bike most of the time. The biologist call it habitat destuction but it could be considered natural habitat for 4x4s Grin.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 06:54:25 PM »

Chillin--------FFFRRRREEEEEE BBBBUUUUMMMMPPPP Grin

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up