Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprint and Nextel Merger  (Read 7303 times)
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2005, 01:17:46 PM »

SPRINT NEXTEL COMPLETES MERGER

Existing Sprint and Nextel Customers Will Continue With Current Services and Plans

OVERLAND PARK, Kan., and RESTON, Va. — 08/12/2005

Sprint (NYSE: FON) and Nextel Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: NXTL) today announced that they have completed their merger transaction, forming Sprint Nextel Corporation. Sprint Nextel common stock will begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange Monday, Aug. 15, 2005, under the symbol "S."

Gary Forsee, chief executive officer and president of Sprint Nextel, said, "This is a great day for our investors, customers, employees and partners. Through a broad portfolio of product and service offerings and a passion for meeting the needs of our customers, Sprint Nextel expects to win in the market. As we look to the future, Sprint Nextel will provide customers innovative wireless data services with media and entertainment content augmented by a global IP network that provides consumer, business and government customers compelling integrated communications solutions."

Tim Donahue, executive chairman of Sprint Nextel, commented, "Communication is changing, and we are not only ready for it, we will lead it. In solid, tangible, measurable ways Sprint Nextel will put points on the scoreboard as we drive growth and profitability in a wireless world. The leadership team has worked tirelessly over the past several months to position the combined company for a seamless integration and Sprint Nextel is ready to hit the ground running to deliver on its promise to all of its customers."

Merger Transaction
Each outstanding share of Nextel common stock will be converted into a combination of Sprint Nextel common stock and cash with a value equal to 1.3 shares of Sprint Nextel common stock. The amount of stock and cash consideration will be computed in accordance with the adjustments set forth in the Sprint Nextel merger agreement and will be based on, among other things, the actual number of shares of Sprint and Nextel stock outstanding immediately before the completion of the merger. The preliminary calculations of the stock exchange ratio, cash ratio and per share cash merger consideration for Nextel common stock are expected to be announced prior to market open Monday, Aug. 15, 2005.

With more than 44 million wireless subscribers, Sprint Nextel serves a balanced mix of consumer, business and government customers, and produces the highest average revenue per user in the industry. On a "pro forma" basis, Sprint Nextel reported revenues of $40.8 billion for the year ending December 31, 2004.

Sprint Nextel, along with its affiliates and partners, operates networks that cover approximately 268 million people. With its extensive network, spectrum assets and technology migration path, Sprint Nextel is well positioned to lead the industry. Sprint Nextel has approximately 80,000 employees with its corporate headquarters in Reston, Va., and its operational headquarters in Overland Park, Kan.

Seamless Transition
Customers using CDMA and iDEN products and services will continue to enjoy the benefits of their current phones, service plans and features. Customers with questions or looking for more information should log on to www.sprint.com for answers about the combined company. Sprint Nextel will soon start communicating with customers through advertising and direct communications channels. As announced earlier this summer, Sprint Nextel will go-to-market using the Sprint brand name, with the Nextel name continuing as a key product brand.

A highly experienced management team leads the combined company. Gary Forsee is the president and chief executive officer of Sprint Nextel. Tim Donahue is executive chairman of the combined company. Together they have a proven track record of leadership and nearly six decades of industry experience. Len Lauer serves as chief operating officer of Sprint Nextel and Paul Saleh serves as chief financial officer of Sprint Nextel.

Local Telecommunications Business

Sprint Nextel has begun the process of separating the operations of Sprint's local telecommunications business, including consumer, business and wholesale operations, and will seek regulatory approvals to spin off the local telecommunications business to Sprint Nextel shareholders in a tax-free transaction, which is expected to be completed in 2006.

The local telecommunications business, led by Daniel Hesse, chief executive officer – designate, will have its own management team and board of directors, consisting of an equal number of designees from Sprint and Nextel. The local telecommunications business, which has approximately 7.5 million local access lines in 18 states and as of June 30, 2005 had revenues of more than $6 billion during the prior 12 months, will be the largest independent local telecommunications company in the United States. It will have commercial operating relationships with Sprint Nextel for mobile and long-distance network services, and will receive certain transitional services, including corporate support functions. Its corporate headquarters will be in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Completion of the spin-off is subject to certain conditions, including regulatory approvals. Following completion of the spin-off, the common stock of the local telecommunications business is expected to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business and government customers. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks offering industry leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
A number of the matters discussed in this document that are not historical or current facts deal with potential future circumstances and developments, in particular, information regarding the combined company, including expected synergies resulting from the merger of Sprint and Nextel and future technology plans. The discussion of such matters is qualified by the inherent risks and uncertainties surrounding future expectations generally, and also may materially differ from actual future experience involving any one or more of such matters. Such risks and uncertainties include: competitive conditions and market acceptance of Sprint Nextel's products and services, economic conditions in targeted markets, performance of our technologies, timely development and delivery of new technologies, access to sufficient capital to meet financing needs, actions by regulatory agencies, and the risks that have been described from time to time in Sprint's and Nextel's respective reports filed with the SEC, including each company's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2004 as amended, and their respective quarterly reports on Form 10-Q filed in 2005. This document speaks only as of its date, and Sprint Nextel disclaims any duty to update the information herein.

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »

FQA

How long can Nextel customers continue to use their phones?
•   The new Sprint will continue to provide the services enjoyed by millions of customers today on the Nextel National Network as well as the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network This combined company is about customer choice and flexibility..
•   Nextel customers will continue to use the industry-leading one-of-a-kind Nextel Direct Connect® walkie-talkie service on the Nextel National Network.
•   Sprint and Nextel use different wireless technologies today – Sprint uses CDMA, while Nextel uses iDEN. No customers will be forced to migrate from one network to the other, and Sprint will continue to support and invest in both networks (the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network and the Nextel National Network), with iDEN planned to be operational through at least 2010 and Nextel’s popular walkie-talkie services continuing to deliver.

Will my walkie-talkie service work between Sprint (Ready Link) and Nextel (Direct Connect)?
Nextel Direct Connect and Sprint Ready Link walkie-talkie services operate on two different network technologies, and customers using one type of service will not be able to push-to-talk with someone using the other service. We are exploring ways to include the best qualities of the two different technologies in one device (a dual-mode wireless phone) that, based on our current estimates of the availability of the technology, could be introduced in several years. Such a device could communicate by walkie-talkie with devices using either technology.

If I want to switch my service between Sprint and Nextel will I be charged a penalty or fee?
In the weeks immediately after the close of the merger, existing Sprint and Nextel switching and upgrade policies will not change -- customers will be charged early termination and activations fees as applicable. This will be required only during an organizational period before the combined company begins a highly visible promotional campaign. At that point, customers who would like to switch services between the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network (CDMA) and the Nextel National Network (IDEN) and will not be charged an early termination fee, activation fee or upgrade fee. A new contract will be required. Customers eligible for an upgrade discount will receive the discount when switching across networks. (Note: Due to certain legal requirements, the company will not be able to waive early termination or activation fees for customers who are switching to or from Sprint Affiliate or Nextel Partner coverage areas.

Will I be able to use my Mobile-to-Mobile minutes between Sprint and Nextel customers?
In the weeks immediately after the merger closes, Mobile-to-Mobile service will only apply to the Sprint network. When the new company begins its promotional campaign, Mobile to Mobile calls (previously Sprint PCS to PCS calling) between customers on either network are free. Customers who are interested in adding Mobile to Mobile service should call 1-800-SPRINT1 or go to Sprint.com. (Note: This will not be applicable for customers in Nextel Partners coverage areas.)

Will RadioShack stores carry Nextel products?
RadioShack expects to carry Nextel products beginning in the fall of 2005. This was made possible through an agreement reached during July 2005 between Sprint and RadioShack, making Sprint a long-term wireless provider for RadioShack in its stores nationwide. The new 11-year agreement builds upon an existing, almost 10-year agreement that Sprint and RadioShack have.

How long will the old company websites be up and functioning?
The sites will be merged in phases, starting today (when the merger is approved) and lasting well into 2006. The key goal is to provide easy-to-navigate and easy-to-understand web access to information about the new company and its products and services, and the ability to manage accounts and purchase online. With that in mind, both the Sprint and Nextel sites have highly visible “Contact Us” sections with information on how customers can ask questions and get additional information. The “About Sprint” section, which includes the newsroom, investor, analyst, corporate governance and other sites, contains updated content representing the merged company.

Will rate plans change? If so, how?
Customers will not be required to change their service plans. Contract will be honored under their current terms and conditions. Sprint will continue to offer competitive voice and data plans for a variety of needs and budgets.

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:59:26 PM »

This was no merger by any means.  It's basically Sprint taking over Nextel.  My nextel voice mail already says "The sprint customer you are trying to reach is being located".  Sprint must be saving alot in Tax dollars or something by calling this a merger.  I've been told that the Nextel name will be history... Undecided
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:58:34 PM »

thats usually what happens in a merger, look at banks, they are always changing names when they merge

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »

all i have to say is nextel has sucked some major A$$ for the past 2 months...if they don't get their stuff together, sprint will be right back where it was 4 years ago...

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 10:03:44 AM »

I'm still looking forward to when Cingular comes out with thier Direct Connect feature (Possibly Sept-Oct). Ever since they merged with AT&T their reception has been a lot better. I dont even have Nextel, but I cant stand it... every time I try to call someone with a Nextel it sends me straight to thier voicemail.. or constantly says "Trying to locate...." its really annoying!

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:20:13 AM »

i have cingular and i really have no complaints.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:29:36 AM »

Iden (owned by Motorola) is what Nextel uses for there two way system and others use voice over IP for the two way radio part of it. Iden is push to talk and others are push and wait.  Wink Nextel started with two way radio back in 1997. The others have a long ways to go. Motorola is working on a new system for sprints two way radios that will work on both systems... And yes in time the Nextel name will disappear.

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 01:30:26 PM »

I'm with SkyhighT100 on this one. Cingular + Direct Connect  would be the way to go. Also Metro PCS + Direct Connect would be the best value.

big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 01:51:24 PM »

direct connect is a trademark of sprint now. Cingular is push and wait  Grin

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 02:01:47 PM »

I'm still looking forward to when Cingular comes out with thier Direct Connect feature (Possibly Sept-Oct). Ever since they merged with AT&T their reception has been a lot better. I dont even have Nextel, but I cant stand it... every time I try to call someone with a Nextel it sends me straight to thier voicemail.. or constantly says "Trying to locate...." its really annoying!

The main reason for that is because when your using your radio on the nextel and someone calls you it takes them staight to voice mail.  You can't use both features at the same time.  The only reason to have Nextel is for there push to talk radio feature.  No one else comes close to that.  Nextel bought up all the 900mhz frequency's and that's why no other company can do it.  Sprints push and wait is garbage.  It takes 15 to 20 seconds for it to come over.  Cingular's will probably be the same.  Sprint now has the technology and will most likely become the biggest and best cellular company.  Start buying the stock now...
Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 02:06:17 PM »

direct connect is a trademark of sprint now. Cingular is push and wait  Grin

You work for Nextel don't you Big Daddy?  My mother is a supervisor in the retention department over off Cypress Creek.  My cousin is the owner of D + E Communications which repairs the phones.  Just wondering if you heard of them...
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 02:11:03 PM »

I own a store, I sell there phones and also Motorola products.  But I dont work for Nextel. Will Sprint now  Undecided

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
MxRacingChick21

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 04:03:36 PM »

Hey Big-Daddy can you hook me up on good deals for nextel phones? I already have a plan and contract but want a new phone! Grin

02 Ford Lightning
04 Suzuki GSXR 1000
04 Yamaha YFZ 450
03 Suzuki z400
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »

MxRacingChick21  what do you want?

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »

Gamer, the 900 MHz frequency was stolen from Motorola... They forget to file the license for that frequency. They moving over to 1.6 frequency and sprint the own 50% and Nextel 45% for the 2.5 MHz frequency a total of 95% for all data stream frequency. Buy stock now... 

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
MxRacingChick21

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 04:26:10 PM »

MxRacingChick21  what do you want?

One of the new camera phones. Preferably the blueish one.

02 Ford Lightning
04 Suzuki GSXR 1000
04 Yamaha YFZ 450
03 Suzuki z400
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:58 PM »

i850, Next month comes the i870 the best camera so far. 1.3 mega pixels 

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 04:30:18 PM »

yo big daddy , you aint got no hook up with cingular, do you. my son got his phone ran over while riding his gocart.

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
MxRacingChick21

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 04:37:56 PM »

Will you sell me a phone without extending my contract and rebates and all of that crap? PM me some prices!

02 Ford Lightning
04 Suzuki GSXR 1000
04 Yamaha YFZ 450
03 Suzuki z400
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 04:39:44 PM »

yo big daddy , you aint got no hook up with cingular, do you. my son got his phone ran over while riding his gocart.
Roll Eyes hehe my bad Tongue
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 04:48:09 PM »

cingular what that  Huh  i dont know price at this time

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 04:53:48 PM »

yeah i know. i was just messing around with my son cause he knows hes gotta pay for it. i mean he did break it. oh well jesse back to ebay and spending some of that birthday money. Grin Grin

klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 05:02:25 PM »

yeah i know. i was just messing around with my son cause he knows hes gotta pay for it. i mean he did break it. oh well jesse back to ebay and spending some of that birthday money. Grin Grin
I DIDNT BREAK ITmom ran it over then went back in reverse 2 see what she ran over lol, if anything its your fualt for buying me those shorts with those big pockets, i think it was an accident waiting 2 happen Tongue and as for me payin for it, lookin at ebay right now ON YOUR ACCOUNT Tongue Grin Cool
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 05:04:59 PM »

all i gotta tell ya is i am leaving work now on my way home and as we cubans say "preparate" Wink 

p.s. english translation- whoop @ss can opening.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com