Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: America  (Read 11321 times)
SkyHighT100
Supreme Member

Enough Bullsh*t... LETS RIDE!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2005, 10:03:13 AM »

I also agree that our government has some serious issues... especially when it comes to "politcal correctness".  Here's my prime example....

I live with my mom. Our house is 3 years old, 1000 SF, and still not finished. We just got carpet a few months ago, until then, our floor was bare concrete. My mom works her azz off for the state, yet still makes under $32,000. I do not qualify for government financial aid.. because they feel my mom makes to much money. I have to pay for my college on my own (I make $9 an hour). When I went to my counselor to try to get more financial aid options this is what she told me...   "The only other thing I can tell you to do in order to recieve a Govt. grant is to have a baby and lose the father." I was absolutely floored. Here I am trying to make a good life for myself and do things responsibly.. yet I'm getting punished? I understand that there are single parents out there who really want to make the best life possible, but just as with EBT cards... there are SO many who just dont learn and take advantage of the system. Birth Control pills are free to those who cant afford them... USE THEM until you can at least support yourself. Don't buy what you cant afford.. etc... BE RESONSIBLE! I am so angry at the way our govt handle things like this... priorities are WAY out of line.

Punish the hard workers.... Reward the lazy irresponsible ones....

Am I the only one seeing a problem???

The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/humrz28
Grizzlygirl

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2005, 10:23:27 AM »

My father died when I was 15 and he was the only one who worked . He  left my my mother, who was in the middle of a nervous break down and had never worked with 4 children, one who was mental retarded and 2 under the age of 11 years and me. He had no insurance, etc. SSI took 3 months to kick in so we went down to Miami  for food stamps just for 3 months so we could eat. They literally said we were the wrong color, why couldn't she work even though under evaluation for the breakdown, and to sell our house. They gave us food stamps for one month $98 for five people and said that we had to come back down again next month by bus because my mother didn't   drive. It took 3 busses with 4 children. The next day I went out and got a job and declared never to ask for help again
  Mama Grizz
Anoriginal

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2005, 10:38:44 AM »

Here's one for you all. This is my experience with being punished for not being a minority and/or not being lazy. Absolute true story in every aspect.

In 1991 I graduated from a large Florida university with bachelor's of science degrees in both Economics and in General Business Admin, magna cum laude. A few years later, I got my MBA from USF. I paid for all of this myself, did not ask for assistance and at the same time, paid for my mortgage on my home. Mom and dad helped very very little at my request. I wanted to do it on my own.

In 1995 I decided I wanted to go to law school. I applied to my school of choice after taking the LSAT and scoring extremely high. With my past academic history, GPA and LSAT score, I figured I'd be a shoe in. Well, I got turned down. I took the LSAT again and scored even higher. Applied again....denied again. What was the problem? I was over 160 on my LSAT, had a 3.8 in undergrad and a 4.0 on my MBA.

I tried one more time and got in to my law school of choice in 1997. Now, this is a private school, not fed funded. Therefore, 3 years in this school will cost you $130k plus (without rooming). I figured, I'd never asked for any government grants, scholarships, etc. in the past so, this was the time.

I applied. I met all the criteria except, I was a white male with a job, a wife, no kids and I (at this point) owned my home. Never mind the fact financially I was without the ability to pay for school absent huge loans. So, I got denied any grant, scholarship, etc. I instead borrowed the money to go to school.

While there, I met and made friends with people who were not white and did not have the back ground (wife, kids, etc.) that I did. Many of them were there on a free ride from the government and got into law school (even a private one) with low GPA's and LSAT scores and from lower rate Universities with marginal edicational experience.

So, while I racked up ove $130k in debt, attended law school, commuted, paid my mortgage, worked my butt of at part time jobs, made darn near a 4.0 GPA, and graduated magna cum laude #7 in a class of 130, many of these folks (I figure I knew of 6 of them) failed out of law school all together. In fact, I know for certain 3 of them failed out or just left.

How could this be? I asked my financial aid officer at school about this situation. He looked at me stone faced and said, "Sorry, but if you were not white, had at least one illigetimate kid and did not have your background, I could get you in for free." I asked him about why I had so much trouble getting into this particular school in the first place, his response was the same. This was confirmed again in discussions with admission's board members over the years.

Today, I've just about paid off all my law school loans. They cost me about $1100.00 per month if I pay the minimum payment.  It is a strain and I've foregone a lot of play time and play toys over the years.  

Having been a victim of "reverse discrimination" or affirmative action, I have a right to speak my mind on the issue. It is an absolute crock. Too many people feel they are owed something from the rest of us who choose to get out of bed every day and contribute. It is not a black, white, hispanic, asian issue. It is a lazy verses non-lazy issue. Government assistance is fine when it has limits. It is supposed to be something to help you along till you can make it on your own.

So, what do we do? Work to do away with affirmative action for starters. It flat out does not work and is antiquated. There are too many other laws and regulations in place now days to prevent the type of disparaging treatment affiramtive action was designed to address.  Any more, affirmative action has become a joke.

Make government assistance as difficult to get as it is to get a subsidized federal student loan. After filling out page four of ten, more folks will simply get a job.

Stop rewarding people for having kids they can't support. this is pretty easy to figure out.

Now, someone get me that EBT card, I really want new rims.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 10:41:44 AM by Anoriginal » Logged
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2005, 10:54:04 AM »

Here's one for you all. This is my experience with being punished for not being a minority and/or not being lazy. Absolute true story in every aspect.

In 1991 I graduated from a large Florida university with bachelor's of science degrees in both Economics and in General Business Admin, magna cum laude. A few years later, I got my MBA from USF. I paid for all of this myself, did not ask for assistance and at the same time, paid for my mortgage on my home. Mom and dad helped very very little at my request. I wanted to do it on my own.

In 1995 I decided I wanted to go to law school. I applied to my school of choice after taking the LSAT and scoring extremely high. With my past academic history, GPA and LSAT score, I figured I'd be a shoe in. Well, I got turned down. I took the LSAT again and scored even higher. Applied again....denied again. What was the problem? I was over 160 on my LSAT, had a 3.8 in undergrad and a 4.0 on my MBA.

I tried one more time and got in to my law school of choice in 1997. Now, this is a private school, not fed funded. Therefore, 3 years in this school will cost you $130k plus (without rooming). I figured, I'd never asked for any government grants, scholarships, etc. in the past so, this was the time.

I applied. I met all the criteria except, I was a white male with a job, a wife, no kids and I (at this point) owned my home. Never mind the fact financially I was without the ability to pay for school absent huge loans. So, I got denied any grant, scholarship, etc. I instead borrowed the money to go to school.

While there, I met and made friends with people who were not white and did not have the back ground (wife, kids, etc.) that I did. Many of them were there on a free ride from the government and got into law school (even a private one) with low GPA's and LSAT scores and from lower rate Universities with marginal edicational experience.

So, while I racked up ove $130k in debt, attended law school, commuted, paid my mortgage, worked my butt of at part time jobs, made darn near a 4.0 GPA, and graduated magna cum laude #7 in a class of 130, many of these folks (I figure I knew of 6 of them) failed out of law school all together. In fact, I know for certain 3 of them failed out or just left.

How could this be? I asked my financial aid officer at school about this situation. He looked at me stone faced and said, "Sorry, but if you were not white, had at least one illigetimate kid and did not have your background, I could get you in for free." I asked him about why I had so much trouble getting into this particular school in the first place, his response was the same. This was confirmed again in discussions with admission's board members over the years.

Today, I've just about paid off all my law school loans. They cost me about $1100.00 per month if I pay the minimum payment.  It is a strain and I've foregone a lot of play time and play toys over the years.  

Having been a victim of "reverse discrimination" or affirmative action, I have a right to speak my mind on the issue. It is an absolute crock. Too many people feel they are owed something from the rest of us who choose to get out of bed every day and contribute. It is not a black, white, hispanic, asian issue. It is a lazy verses non-lazy issue. Government assistance is fine when it has limits. It is supposed to be something to help you along till you can make it on your own.

So, what do we do? Work to do away with affirmative action for starters. It flat out does not work and is antiquated. There are too many other laws and regulations in place now days to prevent the type of disparaging treatment affiramtive action was designed to address.  Any more, affirmative action has become a joke.

Make government assistance as difficult to get as it is to get a subsidized federal student loan. After filling out page four of ten, more folks will simply get a job.

Stop rewarding people for having kids they can't support. this is pretty easy to figure out.

Now, someone get me that EBT card, I really want new rims.

You're a lawyer right? Can't find a loophole about paying back the loans? If doctors usually don't pay them back why would you?

Anoriginal

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2005, 11:11:44 AM »

Not that easy. I wish it was . Most of my doctor buddies are up to their ears in school loans too.
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2005, 11:26:48 AM »

I saw a report on that years ago probably on 20/20 and the doctors were living in their big houses driving a Lexus claiming they cannot afford to pay off the loan. So they pass the bill in the form of higher interest rates onto people like yourself. I would hope 1 day people will realize this BS happens on both sides of the economic coin. It's not just the poor.

MrsPureLogic

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »

No way out...my brother is a lawyer - took him until he was 40 to payback all his loans.  Crazy.  Shocked
Anoriginal

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2005, 01:02:20 PM »

I saw a report on that years ago probably on 20/20 and the doctors were living in their big houses driving a Lexus claiming they cannot afford to pay off the loan. So they pass the bill in the form of higher interest rates onto people like yourself. I would hope 1 day people will realize this BS happens on both sides of the economic coin. It's not just the poor.

Yeah, it's BS. Unfortunatley, the more you make, the more you are taxed and the more you are expected to take care of everyone else. Doctor's are a different story. I wish my clients had legal insurance so that my fees were guaranteed.  But, that's another subject for another place and time.
cain73
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »

Skyhigh - You're not the only 1 seeing the problem, but once again doing something in the name of equality would be labeled racist by jessee jackson and al sharpton. they want handouts due to color. It's racism but they like it when it benefits their color. That doesn’t mean that all ethnic minorities take advantage of it, it means that it's there if they want to where as we have no access even if we really need it because we're white.

Mama Grizz - it sucks that you and your family had to go through what you did instead of getting the help you needed because you weren't the right color. It is good to see that you were strong enough to use that as motivation to be a good responsible person with integrity. You're an inspiration.

Anoriginal - What you have accomplished is impressive. the fact that you were able to do so with virtually no aid is even more impressive and speaks toward your dedication, integrity, perseverance and character. Even though others milked the system while you struggled, you have the pride of knowing you did it on merit not on a corrupt system. about your loans... even if you can get out of them I don't think you should. I know it would mean more free money for toys, but in my opinion if you borrow it you should repay it. That too will be a testimony toward your character and integrity.

These are more proof that the system has failed. It needs to be overhauled. The only way to get rid of discrimination is to no longer allow it to be a factor. No more preferential treatment of minorities. No more free educations, lower entry scores, less requirements regarding experience and  work ethic. If the education and  work system was based solely upon merit, then the hard workers would be regarded regardless of ethnicity, and the system could help those in need instead of  allowing a certain few to slack and get the same pleasure and materials in life as the hard working ones.  Take race out of the loop and base  help and rewards on merit. I know it’s a novel idea in today’s society but it’s the only fair way. I heard a while back that there was  going to be a committee to look into making sure that  minorities and immigrants can afford the same homes and  comfort of living level as white Americans. That’s crap ! Work hard and earn it. No one should be given something just because someone else has worked hard and obtained it.

floridaatv.com come join the fun
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »

I have had a friend that I have known since he was 2 years old. He is half white and half black. His mom(white) raised him by herself and his entire life he has "checked the caucasian box." They have never had alot of money but this kid is a Genius! He has always been in advanced classes and on Honor Roll. When it came time for him to goto college he scored a 1500 on his SAT's and applied to University of Miami. Once again he checked "caucasian" his application was denied. After thinking that he has never taken a cent from the government he decided to reapply to UofMiami and this time checked "Black" not only was he accepted, but he got a FULL ride! That shows that something is messed up in the system.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com