Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titling a 1997 yamaha wolverine for use in state parks with orv permit  (Read 5970 times)
Carlos Cabral

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »

Hello guys, and thanks admin for adding me. I bought a 1997 wolverine that I thought about using in State parks with an orv permit.

The problem is I bought it off someone who had no title and only gave me a bill of sale. He claimed that these bikes were not titled before 2002. But I cannot read the last character of the vin number to apply for a title and the bill of sale is missing  the last character. What if I guess the wrong character and have the seller draft up a new bill of sale? Can they determine the dmv that the last character on the vin in incorrect although  bike never registered?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:30:08 AM by Carlos Cabral » Logged
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:23:42 AM »

Welcome to the site. I haven't had to deal with this type of stuff for about 10 years, but I think this all still holds accurate.

It is true in Florida, there were no titles to ATVs before 2002.

I'm not sure the bill of sale will make a difference in regards to the VIN#. It will only determine how much sales tax you are going to pay based on the listed selling price. Now, you could try it and hope that I'm wrong. Just write in the number as you see it and don't forge anything. You don't want to commit any crimes here. Then hand them the bill of sale and see what happens. But, my past experience with Florida DMV offices is a painful one and nothing is ever easy.

I suspect they will give you a form and will demand verification of the VIN# by a police officer or motorcycle shop. They would inspect it and sign it. Just follow the instructions from the DMV and let the inspector (when you find one) write down what they inspect. If they leave a digit off because they can't read it, so be it. It's legally on them now. Not you. This filled out form is what they will use for verification, since they have no info about it.

This whole process the DMV puts us through is to accomplish two things. 1. Prevent theft. 2. To get your money. (this is the biggest one).

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »

Any updates on this Carlos?

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: