Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member from Clermont Looking for Advice/Tips  (Read 6018 times)
alparmer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

We used to go to Ocala 15+ years ago and ride our KTMs through some of the trails.  Now, I have no idea where to go since it looks like there are tons of regulations.  I've been searching online, but it seems like it is not cut and dry. 

So far, I understand that you need your vehicle registration, OHV pass (not sure if a yearly covers all state trails), my 12 year old needs an ATV safety course, and riders have to wear helmets, etc. 

So, what all do I need to take the SxS with my son over to places close to Clermont.  I am assuming the closest ones are Ocala, Umatilla, and Croom.  I would hate to show up only to get a fine for not having all of the necessary paperwork and equipment.

Thanks in advance.  Oh, we also used to go to an abandoned citrus field off of 27, south of 192.  Cant remember exactly where it was.

patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »

I ride Croom but they do not permit side by sides so no help to you.    I have never been asked to show proof my 11 year old took a safety class at either Ocala or Croom.  I mostly ride on 2300 acres in north Florida now that I have permission to access.  Florida is not a friendly state to off road riding in my opinion.   Good luck and hope you find a place to have fun,  I usually make trips to Hat Field McCoy or Windrock TN because they have off road friendly places to ride.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
alparmer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:09:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I been looking online and it looks like Ocala is the place to go.  From what I understand, SxS are allowed at Big Scrub as well as others.  It also looks like Croom allows up to 50" low pressure tires which my pioneer 500 has.  However, I read somewhere that they only allow vehicles that can be straddled.  Doesnt make sense because for safety reasons, my little SxS has a roll cage with seatbelts whereas regular ATVs dont. 

I am surprised I haven't heard from other members with a bit of knowledge of Central Florida trails for SxSs.  A few months back I was driving to Zephyrhills from Clermont, and saw a bunch of ATVs and UTVs parked in a parking lot getting ready to ride.  Can't remember the name of the road, but I may have to retrace my drive and find out the deal.   
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »

Welcome to the site. I have little experience with SxS, but I do know the rules at Croom are very outdated and should be rewritten. The rules are not friendly at all to the current off road vehicle owner. And, unfortunately, I don't think anybody there cares. If I lived closer to Ocala, that would be my "go to" place.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »

The place you drive by was prob Rancho on SR54 in Z-hills.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com