Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie looking for places to ride in Miami-Dade County.  (Read 16943 times)
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

Hello,

I am new to this Forum & new to ATV's. I bought a 570 Polaris Sportsman Touring. I live in the City of  Miami near Coral Gables so definitely no places to ride around here. With my truck I have gone to Lazy Springs ( 9591 Florida 82, Felda, FL 33930 ) & Plantbamboo ( 27695 SW Martin Hwy, Okeechobee, FL 34974 ) & have ridden rented ATV's (twice) there as well. Nice places but it's a 2 hour drive to either place from my house. Not always wanting to drive 2 hours just to ride.

My wife & I rode in the fields that are west of tamiami Airport which have the following borders:
SW 112 ST (NORTH)
SW 152 ST (SOUTH)
SW 177 AVE (Krome Ave) (WEST)
SW 157 AVE (EAST)

We entered this area by driving west on SW 136 st until it becomes a dirt road and parked next to the one building that is there & has trees surrounding most of it. I also drove to the nearby gas station but I had to drive a few blocks on the sidewalk (which is wide) so hopefully no issues with the police there. I don't know what laws there are concerning driving on the sidewalk.

The area looks good & my wife & I had fun there but we'd like to know what other places are there to ride in down here.

I've been to the Homeastead Humps with my truck. I've gone in through Cards Sound Rd but that place is almost always flooded. Is there another entrance near the Homestead Speedway? If so is it ok to ride there?

When i purchased my ATV The dealership suggested that I NOT ride at the Humps because the water is brackish & the ATV will get rusted quick.

Anyone here have issues with that?

Basically, I just want to find places that my wife & I can ride down here & leave my truck/trailer parked safely.  It seems difficult to find that but I am new to this so maybe some of you folks here can guide me.

Thanks,
tac1
GK72Cane

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »

Hi Tac1,

I too am new to the ATV world and share the same "where to ride" issues as you.  I also bought a Polaris 570 Sportsman Touring model (6 months ago) and I regularly ride in the farming area that you described.  I am fortunate enough to live only 1 mile east of the area so I just ride the local streets to get there.  You aren't limited on the south side to 152 ST.  You can easily go as far south as SW 184th ST. You can also cross Krome Ave and explore further west.  The building you described as surrounded by trees is an FPL facility.  I have never seen anyone working there.  If you want to start from there, it would be easier to enter from the Krome Ave side.

As far as the Humps go, I have never ridden there but I believe you can access it by going south on SW 167th Ave from Palm DR (SW 344th ST).  The street turns from asphalt to dirt and runs right into the riding area.  I don't know about salt corrosion but I think that if you ride during the dry season it won't be a problem.

Hope to see you out there sometime.
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »

Hello GK72Cane,

Thank you for that info! I bought mine in February. It is Sage Green. Nice to hear that you have the same vehicle as well. Very nice to hear that we can explore as far south as SW 184 St & cross Krome Ave towards the west as well. I actually thought about crossing Krome but was a bit concerned about venturing too far away from my Tacoma & trailer. Also, that was our 1st time out there in the ATV so I wasn't too familiar with the area. My plan was to stop at Country Fruit & Juices on SW 122 St & Krome. We did see ATV's crossing Krome so I assume the police aren't much of an issue there. I would definitely LOVE to explore more of that area.

From what you've seen is it safe to park your truck by the FPL building and ride around? With my truck/trailer parked safely I'll venture anywhere. I just ordered a rack for the rear & I have 2.5 gallon gas tanks so I have no worries about riding somewhat far but again, my trucks safety is a concern for us.

We want to go out there again and would love to ride out to more places.

My wife was even talking about (later on) taking our 2 sons (23 & 19) out there to see if they like it.

Good point about riding the Humps when it's dry. No corossion issues with those conditions.   

I will let you know the next time that we plan to go out there.  It would be nice for us to ride out there together.
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »

Hello again GK72Cane,
How far west did you go passed Krome?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:59:56 PM by tac1 » Logged
GK72Cane

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »

I share your concern for your truck and trailer.  While I have not witnessed anything in that area other than farm personnel and atv'ers,  I wouldn't leave my vehicles out there unattended - it's Miami, if you leave something out there, someone will try to steal something.  You might consider unloading your unit at the end of SW 152 St and then parking at the Publix shopping center at 157 Ave and 152 St.  Have your wife pick you up in the field on the south side and you are good to go.

I haven't done too much exploring west of Krome yet - just a little running N/S up to maybe 104 and a little west on 136.  BTW, my Sportsman is white.  I sprung for the power steering model.  I recently picked up a 2014 RZR 800 with power steering for my significant other.  She wanted to ride but because of rheumatoid arthritis in her hands she couldn't deal with the hand controls.  I still need to change out the front brake pads (next week) but we will be ready to roll together soon.
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:47:07 AM »

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your wifes rheumatoid arthritis. My wife has carpal tunnel syndrome in both of her hands but I'm sure the arthritis is more painful.

Yep, it is Miami. I've lived in my house for 23 years and thankfully haven't had any issues here. We work fairly close to home as well but yeah, this place is getting pretty bad overall & WAY overcrowded. I always tell my wife that we will not grow old down here.

I saw the Publix you mentioned on Google Maps. WOW this place has grown. I worked at the Tire Kingdom on SW 137 ave & 136 st from 1998 to 2001 and I haven't been to this part of town in a while.

Well, parking there is better than in the field. I just hope there are no Tow Away signs there. In the fields there's a greater chance for vandalism but at the Shopping Center there "may" be a chance that my truck/trailer gets towed. Hopefully they don't stress that at this particular shopping center.

A friend of mine has a shop in those warehouses just south of SW 136 St. He told me that I could park my truck there & it should be secure. The problem there is that I would have to go north on SW 143 Crt, then ride on the sidewalk westbound to SW 157 Ave and then cross the street (norhtbound) to go onto the fields. I don't know if I will get in trouble with the police for riding on the sidewalk. I saw ATV's getting gas at the Texaco there and I asked if the police give them any issues. They said no.

I guess I'm gonna have to seriously consider my options. Publix or my friends shop. Have you ever ridden out to that gas station or the sidewalk on SW 136 St.?

As for your ATV, white is a nice color & EPS must be super easy! Sounds like an awesome toy there. That 2014 RZR 800 must be fun! 

My wife & I may ride out there next Sunday. I will let you know.
GK72Cane

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:53:17 PM »

You can avoid almost all of the sidewalk on 136 by going out the back of the commercial area on 137 st.  The police won't give you any problem as long as you're aren't riding crazily.  I can't ride this coming weekend - a family wedding and we are hosting 9 guests at our house but look forward to joining you sometime soon.  Got your PM.
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

Thanks for the info about 137 st. I saw it on Google Maps after I read your response. Also, I'll drive slow on the sidewalk. Hope you have a good time at the wedding and your party. Looking forward to joining you soon as well. Glad you got my PM as well.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

I can help with where to ride, contact me

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

I can help with where to ride, contact me

OK
F-Red

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »

The areas to ride down south are becoming more limited. New home construction and fencing off property. Far southwest, farming area still have some good places. Can ride to Robert Is Here and Gator Grill and all west of those places.
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »

The areas to ride down south are becoming more limited. New home construction and fencing off property. Far southwest, farming area still have some good places. Can ride to Robert Is Here and Gator Grill and all west of those places.

Awesome! I was actually looking at that "Robert is Here" place. I would love to ride there on my ATV.

The only issue would be parking my truck/trailer somewhere safe. If I could find a safe place to park then I'd be golden. I haven't been in that area since 1990 & I don't know of anywhere to park. If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »

Hey all,
I will know by tonight if I will be able to ride this Sunday. Anyone available this SundY to ride?
tac1
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »

I can ride this Sunday. Let me know if anyone here wants to meet up somewhere and ride
Adrianrodriguezac

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »

Hello everyone I have access to montura ranch
Water reservoir atv riding it's worth
The drive endless trails
Especially if we go in group family
Call me to schedule group rides
7864026567 thanks keep riding
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print