Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 Grizzly 660 Shutting Down and Not Starting Issues  (Read 5743 times)
caledelaney

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »

Hi,

So, here's a description of what happened:
I've got a 2004 Grizzly 660 that hasn't had any issues. This weekend took it out and ran it for a few hours in the morning, no problem. Came back let it sit for a couple hours then fired it up and took it out again. Just kind of cruising around, not really doing anything crazy. All of a sudden it starts sputtering while on the throttle and then shuts down and won't start. It would crank and crank, but no fire. So, I messed around for probably an hour, checked the spark plug wire (couldn't get the plug out as I didn't have the right socket -- 5/8" wouldn't fit) which looked fine, gas was fresh and tank was full. Checked all the breather lines and air box was dry.
Every now and then while cranking it would backfire, but not start. Tried some starting fluid and got it to start with full choke, but would cut out when you give it any throttle. So I let it idle while on half choke for about 10 minutes then it shut down on it's own and wouldn't start again, just cranking.

A few minutes later it fired up and ran like normal. I let it idle for a few minutes, shut it off, started it up again and it fired right up and ran fine. So now I think whatever gremlin it had was magically worked out. Took it out riding, running fine, and 30 mins in it shuts down and won't start. Just cranking with no fire. Get towed back.
Next morning starts up and runs fine. Idles for about 20 mins and shuts down on its own. Starts right up again, I put it on the trailer and go home.
Get home and it fires right up, idles for about 5 minutes then shuts down and won't start.

I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. It seems like maybe some sort of fuel delivery issue, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would randomly run fine, then not even start, then run fine, then shut down, sometimes start, sometimes not, etc.

Any ideas where to start looking???

Grizzly 660
Radiator Relocated
Fully Snorkeled
Lifted
30" Silverbacks on ITP Beadlocks
Gorilla Axles
DynoJetted
4k# Winch on Custom Bumper
HMF Exhaust
K&N Filter in Custom Aluminum Airbox
TRIPOLAR

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »

I read this and had to chuckle a little.
My boys 660 is doing the exact same thing.
Started during the Pumpkin run this past weekend.
We managed to get through the night, but the symptoms are identical.
If you find something, post up.
I will do the same.

caledelaney

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »

Haha, that's funny because this happened at the pumpkin run too! Except I couldn't make it through the night run. I was super bummed.

Grizzly 660
Radiator Relocated
Fully Snorkeled
Lifted
Gorilla Axles
DynoJetted
HMF Exhaust
TRIPOLAR

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »

Must be something in the WATER........
 Wink

GrizzlyMatt27

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »

I have an 04 grizzly 660 4x4 and it is doing the exact same thing what do I do to fix it.
caledelaney

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »

Turned out to just be the coil. Simple and cheap fix thankfully!

Grizzly 660
Radiator Relocated
Fully Snorkeled
Lifted
Gorilla Axles
DynoJetted
HMF Exhaust
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print