Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get help on the trail  (Read 4455 times)
K_Man

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »

A couple of weekends ago my son and I were riding the Centennial Trail and on the middle of the Lower loop there was a truck stuck. This part of the trail is my favorite part with it's rolling banked curves. How the couple made it as far as they did I have no idea. They might have had 4 wheel drive but only had street tires. As soon as they saw us they came staggering up, beer in hand and smelling of weed asking us if we could let someone know they needed help. They said they tried calling but their friends couldn't they get there for awhile. I told them I would go to Big Scrub campground to let the campground host know so he could notifiy the Forest Service. When we got there, no one was camping, two Forest Service trucks were there but no one was around, not even the campground host.  We were going to stop by the Forest Service office on HWY 40 but they were closed since it was around 6:00 pm.

I was wondering if there is anyone to call if you break down on the trails in the Ocala National Forest and are riding by yourself? I know it's best not to ride alone but often it is either ride alone or don't ride at all. I get good cell phone coverage on the trails (Verizon), just don't know who to call. As a last resort I would call 911 but really hate to do that.

2021 Can-Am Defender X MR
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:48:38 PM »

I don't know who you would call. I couldn't call anybody as my phone doesn't work up there, only 911.

Was this truck on a trail that he was allowed to be on ? Most of those trails are for atv's and side by sides only. If he was on a trail that he wasn't supposed to be on, I would just tell him to have another beer and leave him there. These are the people that tear up our trails and they don't even pay any money to be on the trails. It's better that if they're drunk that they remain in the woods rather than out on the highways where they can kill somebody.  Even though I feel this way, I would let a ranger know about them being stuck if I ran across one.
K_Man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »

By the time I thought of that we where almost back to the trail head. I will check the signs next time I go there but I bet you are right about no trucks on that part of the trail.

2021 Can-Am Defender X MR
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »

If you have service, you can always try calling the Ranger Station at 352-625-2520 before calling 911.  For the Centennial Trail, Marion County usually responds and their non-emergency number is 352-732-9111.  Last resort would be 911, especially if you are stranded and don't have water or whatnot.  If there is a truck buried in the trail somewhere they shouldn't be...which is most of the time.  I highly encourage you to call those numbers and report it.  I hope this answers most of the question.  Going to Big Scrub is usually a good option as well.  John and Yvonne just got back there this past Saturday evening and are now the hosts thru May.

Kris
grizzlynick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »

F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com