Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Centennial Trail - Ocala National Forest  (Read 108178 times)
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2016, 04:48:23 PM »

Hey gmiller0737 - I stayed near Ashland Atv Resort in early May and rode  Indian Ridge-Pocahontas & Pinnacle Creek Trail Systems We got there Sunday afternoon and stayed until Sat morning. I was wondering how many people do you come across daily on the trails. We would run into 1 to 3 folks a day (mon thru thur) we did 80-110 miles each day until Friday then we ran into/passed close to 12-18 different groups. Just wondering is the resort full as it was only 1/4 full in May and how much traffic do you pass daily as schools out now and it's family vacation time.
We Just Returned Home Yesterday from Ashland Had a Great Time as usual & much cooler than here especily in The early am & evening Got To Meet Brian Fisher (Of Fishers Atv World TV Show) He pulled into Ashland Wensday Afternoon,There were Quite a few Folks @ Ashland This Trip Including a Group of around 30 Riders From Arkansas/Missouri So We did see a bit more folks on the Trail than Normal Besides That Group (Nice Guys By The Way) We Likely Passed maybe a dozen of so others each day,We Normaly go Up on Sunday & Leave Thursday Am To avoid the weekend Crowds,We are Going back 7/31 to 8/3 but staying @ Wild Willys Atv Rezort Then Nothing at all wrong with Ashland but I stay @ Willy's sometimes (Super Nice Guy) & smaller place so less people around (Just down the road from Ashland) & Will Likely go Back again in September or October,We Rode all 3 systems & Rode about 200 Miles in The 3 days

Three weeks and will be at Twin Hollows campground, Rockhouse trail system cannot wait and thanks for the info!

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »

Hey D. Yes going 4th of July. How have y'all been?

Smiley
Patches you better not let new guy find out where you'll be. He may find you with his lightning fast fists lol.
Long time no see. How have you been.  Still camping at the fort

Doing good we will be there on Sunday the 10th

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »

Alright,

Here's the deal with the trail.  It takes time.  I was not allowed to start trimming the corners out for visibility until late 2011.  I'm sure the Hatfield & McCoy is very nice, but it belongs on another thread.  I have heavy equipment cutting timber on the north end of the trail, mainly in that area that there have been complaints near the top of HWY 40.  They will be taking trees and brush all the way to the edge of the trail and should be starting later this week.  There was no smart way to do the work once, then have it done again a month later with this timber harvest.  What they miss, I will be getting.  The corners are not the problem, users speed is.  I can't control what idiots do, but I can try to do as much as one person can.  To say we do nothing is an huge understatement.  If anyone went out to the trails in the last month, you would see that the tread of the trail is still nice and that most of the trail is pretty safe.  I concede the north end of the trail needs corners cleared and we will get there, but the majority of the accidents were occurring, and still occur on the scrub jay loop, which is where I focus. 
If the lack of work keeps you from the trail, I'm sorry.  We will do our best, and it will get done, probably not fast enough for some, but for the majority, they will enjoy it.  I really want this to be the best trail in Florida...with work and PATIENCE it will be.  I will be out there off and on over the next two months.  It was posted that I would be gone for 5 weeks at some point, that is incorrect.  I will be gone for 5 days, which is nothing.  I invite and enjoy your feedback on here, but realize I actually rarely get on the computer because I am usually out working on the forest.  The Centennial trail is just one of over 13 areas I supervise and work on, including swim areas, which occupy my time a lot in the summer. 
The timber work will be going on from the crossing at Forest Road 37 (runs south from Juniper Springs area at HWY 40) east along the trail, all the way to the crossing at Forest Road 30, right above FR 57.  So if you are out riding, watch out for the equipment. 
Be safe and be patient,
Kris
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »

John told me that you were going to be gone for 5 weeks. He also was the one that told me the trail was going to be closed for 2 weeks a while back. Both of those statements are wrong. Sorry ! I guess I better not listen to him anymore.

I thank you for the update on the trail. It would be nice to get updated every 2 weeks or so.

Larry
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 03:47:41 PM »

John was not wrong on the two week closure, that was the last info we got and then the Navy cancelled bombing.  He misunderstood the 5 weeks thing, (5-10days over 5 weeks was actual statement).  He was just trying to give you the best information is all.  Like I said, I'll try my best to keep this updated and work on clearing vegetation.
Kris
Thunderdually

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »

Alright,

Here's the deal with the trail.  It takes time.  I was not allowed to start trimming the corners out for visibility until late 2011.  I'm sure the Hatfield & McCoy is very nice, but it belongs on another thread.  I have heavy equipment cutting timber on the north end of the trail, mainly in that area that there have been complaints near the top of HWY 40.  They will be taking trees and brush all the way to the edge of the trail and should be starting later this week.  There was no smart way to do the work once, then have it done again a month later with this timber harvest.  What they miss, I will be getting.  The corners are not the problem, users speed is.  I can't control what idiots do, but I can try to do as much as one person can.  To say we do nothing is an huge understatement.  If anyone went out to the trails in the last month, you would see that the tread of the trail is still nice and that most of the trail is pretty safe.  I concede the north end of the trail needs corners cleared and we will get there, but the majority of the accidents were occurring, and still occur on the scrub jay loop, which is where I focus. 
If the lack of work keeps you from the trail, I'm sorry.  We will do our best, and it will get done, probably not fast enough for some, but for the majority, they will enjoy it.  I really want this to be the best trail in Florida...with work and PATIENCE it will be.  I will be out there off and on over the next two months.  It was posted that I would be gone for 5 weeks at some point, that is incorrect.  I will be gone for 5 days, which is nothing.  I invite and enjoy your feedback on here, but realize I actually rarely get on the computer because I am usually out working on the forest.  The Centennial trail is just one of over 13 areas I supervise and work on, including swim areas, which occupy my time a lot in the summer. 
The timber work will be going on from the crossing at Forest Road 37 (runs south from Juniper Springs area at HWY 40) east along the trail, all the way to the crossing at Forest Road 30, right above FR 57.  So if you are out riding, watch out for the equipment. 
Be safe and be patient,
Kris

I know that blind corners can be a problem  but I agree that the big part of the problem is the fact that a lot of riders use the trails as a speed way and far exceed the posted speed limit. There are some of us who actually like to just ride the trails and enjoy the scenery. If all some people want to do is use the trails for as a speed way maybe they should just go to a MX track. Then we could enjoy the trail with out worrying about some one blasting down the trail 60 miles an hour.

"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"

Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:41 PM »

Kris
I want to thank you for all the work you do on the trails. I know keeping 50 miles of trails can be a lot of work and I for one am thankful for what you do.  I have to say, all my near accidents have been both vehicles going head on at what I would say well under the 20 mph speed limit. Probably more like 15   The 2 way trails are the problem Along with the over grown turns.  It's just not safe.  I would love to know the statistics of how many accidents really occur out there. Unfortunately a lot do not get reported and thankfully ambulances are not out there all the time(maybe they are). What it comes down to me is that this trail is not family friendly with the threat of a child getting hurt due to head on collisions. I will continue to ride the wiregrass trail since it's a nice open trail   Kris, please don't take this as bash on your efforts.  It's just my opinion and my safety

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »

I know that blind corners can be a problem  but I agree that the big part of the problem is the fact that a lot of riders use the trails as a speed way and far exceed the posted speed limit. There are some of us who actually like to just ride the trails and enjoy the scenery. If all some people want to do is use the trails for as a speed way maybe they should just go to a MX track. Then we could enjoy the trail with out worrying about some one blasting down the trail 60 miles an hour.

EXACTLY!!! 
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

well, I guess this thread took a turn for the worse.  What it comes down to also is that the state of Florida basically sucks for ATV riders.  There was a poll out about 8 or 9 years ago and Florida was the #2 state for ATV sales yet we were #1 for the least amount of approved riding areas and trails.  the state of Florida could pretty much care less about ATV riders.  They rather put their efforts into an annual bear hunt.  I will see if my 9yo continues to enjoy ATV riding.  If not, I think this 45yo will finally hang up his ATV riding for good.

patches206
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:13 AM »

well, I guess this thread took a turn for the worse.  What it comes down to also is that the state of Florida basically sucks for ATV riders.  There was a poll out about 8 or 9 years ago and Florida was the #2 state for ATV sales yet we were #1 for the least amount of approved riding areas and trails.  the state of Florida could pretty much care less about ATV riders.  They rather put their efforts into an annual bear hunt.  I will see if my 9yo continues to enjoy ATV riding.  If not, I think this 45yo will finally hang up his ATV riding for good.

Just returned from 2 weeks of ATV riding at Hatfield McCoy WV. and Windrock TN, they love ATV riders and cater to us.   What a great two weeks, have to agree with you Starbuc71, Fl sucks!

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:32 AM »

After an eight week break from the ONF, my wife and I went to the Centennial Trail yesterday. We got a new Can Am Max 650 2 up, so now we can legally ride double on the trails.

The trails need a lot of trimming, but I'm happy to report that on the west side some bulldozing has been done. The area is really rough because it hasn't been dragged yet, but you can now really see ahead in this area. Some people have mentioned one way trails, but if they clear the whole trails like this, two way traffic will not be a problem. If you can see others coming, you will have time to react even if these others are speeding.

Thanks to Kris for getting this done !!!  I know that sometimes we give you a bunch of crap over this, but we love riding the trails and just want to be safe. Both my wife and I have been in head on accidents there and they were with other ATVs and dirt bikes. I don't know how we would come out if we  had a head on with a side by side and there are more of them coming there all of the time. As we were leaving yesterday, they were unloading the biggest S X S that I've ever seen. If you ran into it, it would be as if you hit a car.

Thanks again Kris for all that you do.

Larry & June
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »

Little blue

Thanks for the update.  I hope I wasn't one of the ones giving Kris crap about the trail condition. If it came across that way I apologize. Kris does a lot for this trail. Unfortunately one person cannot clear the trail like you stated to make it safe for two way traffic. Brush grows too fast and when one section is clear, the previous one is grown back again.  I sold my SXS because of this.  You are right also about the SXS's getting bigger. The new can am maverick X3 is basically a full size dune buggy/ jeep.  I still won't return to the cenential trail until I know I can enjoy the ride without worrying about getting injured in a head on collision

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »

Thanks guys!  We are trying to keep improving it for safety.  We are also doing work in the campground as well.  John and Yvonne are doing an amazing job!  After October 1st, (new fiscal year), I have been promised more dozer work.  I also now have use of a skid steer, so this will continue.  Hopefully one day soon, I can report that the trail has no real visibility or evasion issues and everyone can come and enjoy them!  Stay on me!

Kris
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »

POST HURRICANE UPDATE:
Centennial Trail sustained a lot of downed trees and debris.  We were not permitted to go out and begin working in the forest to reopen areas until Tuesday following the weekend of the storm.  On Thursday John & Yvonne, and myself, were able to ride completely around the 19 miles of the Scrub Jay Loop (the lower loop out of Big Scrub campground).  We cleared it of all down trees and all hazards that we saw.  Some trees and limbs could still fall down since we cleared it and in the coming weeks, just because of the stress the storm put on them.
I had NG drill this past weekend and was unable to continue to clear.  We also have a few other priorities we have to work on, but are going to get back on the trail as soon as possible.  John and Yvonne talked of riding up the west side of the trail, from Big Scrub to the Centennial TH by HWY 40.  If they do, that would only leave the large Northeast section unclear by FS people.
You are allowed to ride with chainsaw or other cutting tools along our trails and are permitted to cut anything that is down and dead.  However, we insist that you go around any obstacle if possible before cutting it for safety reasons.  This is a call you the rider has to make.  We will get it completely cleared as soon as we can, but for the time being, we recommend using the parking lot at Big Scrub campground and riding the Scrub Jay.  Thank you for you patience! 

Also, thanks Larry for communicating with others on other post!

Kris
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »

No problem Kris ! I'm just so grateful for you and John cutting out all of the trees that you have so far. Now that it's starting to cool off a little, June and I will be riding there a lot more. Maybe next week some day. We pretty much took the summer off because of the heat.  Larry
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

CENTENNIAL TRAIL CLOSURE!!!
NAVY HAS REQUESTED TO ACTIVATE THE EXTENDED SAFETY ZONE FOR TRAINING EXERCISES THIS WEEK.
The Centennial Trail will be closed Tuesday the 6th, Wednesday the 7th and Sunday the 11th, from about 9am until 5pm.  This effectively closes the trail completely those days.  Thursday, Friday and Saturday are still good to go...and you caould always go check out the North trails or the Wiregrass.  Hope this helps out, just wanna try and let everyone know the best way I know how!  Come by Saturday to Big Scrub, I'll be there grilling out around noon!
-Kris
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »

Thanks Kris !  June and I were thinking of coming up on Wednesday, but now we will go to the north trails. Larry
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »

This past Wednesday and Thursday Forest Roads 13 & 14 were bladed.  They are definitely a lot smoother than they were, but we need more rain for sure so that they can be done again.  It is a nice and forgiving ride the complete way on 13.  I haven't traveled from HWY 19 into big Scrub since they bladed, but I'm told it is good also.

Today I started raking as well, since we had some rain and I wouldn't just be moving dust around.  I was able to complete from Big Scrub campground over to Forest Road 45 on the lower Scrub Jay.  I really wanna knock out some more pretty quick, but it depends on how many riders start showing up this week.  Had a lot on the trail after 2pm today, so i had to knock it off for the day.  Also our other volunteers, the Grimms, are doing some very thorough trimming.  I will be sending them on the lower Scrub Jay primarily, as we will be using equipment on the north end of the trail.  I was able to get dozer work approved and funded.  Hopefully this starts before or right when hunting season ends in a couple weeks.  All reports of hunters on the trails have been logged and will be addressed with District Ranger and Law Enforcement.  Some who had their pictures/license plates taken will be receiving some nifty paperwork in the mail.

All the tables have been moved around in Big Scrub now to allow for pull-through use...and to allow me to dig the ditches to lay water and electric conduit to each site.  There is no immediate time table for completing the electric, but I'm told by Tallahassee it is doable now. 

Bottom line:  Keep coming out!  Spread the word PLEASE!  I will bust I disagree on this trail and WILL get it completely trimmed/dozed/signed.  I need more and more users so I can fight for a bigger slice of the money! 

Thank you to everyone who comes out, enjoys, posts on here, and gives me a hard time!  You ALL keep me on my toes and make my job awesome!

-Kris

(I will start at 2017 thread soon and discard this one)
Check out and share these:
https://www.facebook.com/CentennialOHVONF/
https://www.facebook.com/bigscrubohvonf/
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:53 AM »

That's great news Kris !!!  I can't wait for the dozer work to begin ! Once the blind turns are taken out, June and I will start to go up a lot more. Larry
patches206
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »

Do not ride Ocala much, maybe once every 3 to 4 years, but your effort and sweat are appreciated.  With electric/water hook ups it will be more enticing.    30 to 50 Amp service?

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

Do not ride Ocala much, maybe once every 3 to 4 years, but your effort and sweat are appreciated.  With electric/water hook ups it will be more enticing.    30 to 50 Amp service?

Thanks, yes both 30 and 50 will be available.
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2016, 10:02:31 AM »

Kris
Thanks for all your efforts. I am looking to get out of the sport and sell my quad, but I still have it. It's great to hear that the blind turns are being worked on. However, it seems all the effort keeps going into the lower scrub jay. I only enter the trail at the US40 trailhead because I refuse to rattle anything loose on my vehicle due to the FR.  as I said your efforts are very very much appreciated but without funds and only minimal volunteers, the trail will never be truly family friendly and safe. I hate to see the time come when someone gets seriously hurt or killed.  It's an accident and waiting to happen.  Also, my 2 cents, if there were a campground right off the 40 TH that had some shade and our $50 some grand toyhaulers didn't take a beating getting to big scrub campground, you would have a lot more people enjoying the trail and probably a lot more volunteers. 
Thanks for the update on the hunters. The notes in the mail won't change anything.  I refuse to ride during hunting season. Again don't take this message as being negative.  Ocala is just not a safe place to ride yet. It maybe someday

little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

Kris, how about an update. I understand that the bulldozer has been at work. Larry
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »

I guess Kris is with the military this week. June and I went up yesterday and I'm happy to say that 7 1/2 miles on the east side of the trail has been bulldozed and made a little wider. That is one place where it really needed it. We rode down it in the morning and it was really rough and some branches sticking out on the trail, but John and the crew went out and trimmed and drug the 7 1/2 miles and when we rode it again in the afternoon, it was great! John said it will need to be dragged a couple more times, but it isn't too bad after just one drag each way.

The visibility is much better now and if people ride at a safe speed, there should be no problems in that section. There were two sharp turns that could have been worked on a little more, but if you don't meet a speed idiot there, then you should be OK.

Thanks Kris for getting the bulldozer out there. It is my understanding that they did all of that in two days and are coming back to finish the east side real soon. I also thank John and the crew for all of their hard work. We're starting to get excited about the Centennial Trail again. LOL

Larry & June
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2017, 11:00:27 PM »

June and I went back up last week and no more bulldozing has been done. The bad news is that they won't be doing any more until we get a whole lot of rain. They are using the machines for the fires that they have almost every week.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com