Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 Centennial Trail - Ocala National Forest  (Read 106692 times)
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 07:38:13 PM »

I hope Kris does not get upset by my post because he works extremely hard as a volunteer to try his best to keep this trail up, but as said on here, you need more than volunteers to keep this trail the way it needs to be. I would rather park my truck on a dirt field vs a nice blacktop lot with handicap spaces of all things then have to ride a trail not knowing if I am leaving it for a hospital. I know they put some time and I guess money into big scrub campground, but why?  It's a hot, dusty dirt field that I would never take the road to get there with my toyhaluer. You have acres and acres upon land with much shade and vegetation and they sink the money and volunteer work into big scrub. I guess camping is more important than safety on the trails.  If this post will do anything, it will probably make the Forrest service close the trails rather than fix them.  My "almost" accident made me really rethink the whole sport if places like Ocala is the only place to ride in the state.

Hey Starbuc come on up to Windrock park this summer  7/16-7/23 for some wild riding.
http://www.windrockpark.com/

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »

That place looks awesome. Wish it was closer

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »

All,

Your posts will never upset me.  I used them as constructive feedback and criticism so that I can try an improve the trail for everyone.  As for two-way, it's here to stay.  That argument has been brought up and promptly shot down many times.  So my only way to make it safer for two way is to make room to avoid crashes and clear corners.  I have been begging for equipment and personnel to get this done for years, and I continue to do so.  The volunteers do an outstanding job, but it is a lot to handle and green stuff grows.  I should have the dozer a lot over the summer and I plan on making some real headway on the trail.  I was on military duty all summer last year and missed my chance.
Big Scrub will continue to get work as well.  It is the only accessible campground the Forest Service has that connects to an OHV trail and has working bathrooms.  Use has increased substantially over the past 3 years both in the campground and on the trail.  I'm hoping that begins to translate into machinery and funding.  They have also spent more time working on Forest Road 13 and 14, but 13 has been improved substantially.  I will keep trying to improve all of these areas for use and safety, but it takes time and sometimes it isn't fast enough to keep someone using it.  All I can say is I'll do my best.  Keep me posted like usual if you do happen to ride the trails and if not, have fun and be safe where you do ride.
-Kris
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »

who shot down a proposal for a one way trail?  just about every trail system in the US including the Hatfield McCoy trail system is a ONE WAY trail system for safety.  Whomever shot it down, I can't wait till they ride the trail and hurt themselves then lets see what happens.  STUPID...  Kris, who can I write to or email to tell them my concerns on how I almost killed a child head on.  There are minimal places to ride to begin with in FL and the ones we have are suicide rides.  Somebody needs to wake up.  I know you and your volunteers bust your buts trying to make the trails wider and clear back the blind corners.  To be honest, you are right.  Green grows.  By the time you get to every hairpin blind corner and clear them, the ones you started with will be grown in thicker than you started.  To be honest even the hairpin turns that the volunteers cleared already still gives you a second or so to dodge a sport quad coming sideways around a berm at full throttle.  I still can't believe the topic of a one way trail came up and there are stupid people that said no way.  This gets me very mad since I am a huge supporter of ATV riding in FL.  Please provide some info on who I can write to.  thanks Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 09:14:53 PM »

I rode the Hatfield and McCoy trail in 2013 and I don't remember it being one way, but the trails were very wide and no blind turns.

I was told that if they made it one way, then everybody would go a lot faster on the blind turns and sooner or later, some idiot would be going the wrong way and a very bad accident would happen. I do believe that this would happen. Some ATV riders won't follow the rules and do whatever they want. I wish that it was one way traffic as I have been in trail accidents there.

We have to watch being too aggressive on this matter as I think they would just shut the trails down. I heard that a new head guy has just taken over or is about to take over and it would just be like him to shut them down. Nobody wants those blind turns cleared more than me, but I think that would solve most of the problems. I love riding there and don't want to loose it.
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »

How come this thread has been so quiet?  Has anything changed on this trail?

little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »

My wife and I haven't rode up there for 7 or 8 weeks, but we are going there tomorrow. Since it rained all over the state, we are hoping for no dust.

If anything has changed, I will post when I get home.

Larry
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »

My wife and I rode the Centennial Trail yesterday and nothing has changed. The dangerous blind turns are still there !  I was hoping to see some dozer work done by Kris, but nothing, and now John told me that Kris is going for military duty again starting next month for five weeks. So if nothing is done in the next three weeks, then it will be towards the end of August, if at all. My bet is " not at all".  I get so pissed that they won't let us ride double, unless the vehicle is designed for two, cause it's not safe, and yet they won't clear the blind turns which is the most dangerous part of riding there. It's this kind of government thinking that has so many people voting for Trump.

Kris, I'm not blaming you, but those blind turns need to be cleared and cleared now !!! The middle and bottom trails aren't too bad, but the northern trails on both sides are really dangerous. There's more and more side by sides running the trails and if we met on those blinds turns-- those of us on the smaller ATV's are going to be the losers.

Larry
patches206
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »

Have not rode Ocala for years because of lack of trail up keep and deadly blind curves.  Last time I was there several years ago,  saw a SxS go head on with a quad, it was not good for either.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 09:18:03 AM »

That's exactly what I'm talking about !  The blind turns need to be cleared now !!!   If you can see another rider coming at you, then you have time to react.

Thanks for posting that !  If everybody would post their accidents or near accidents on this thread, then maybe Kris could get the higher ups to do something.

Larry
K_Man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »

I don't think posting about accidents and near accidents would be a good idea. Kris is already aware of the problem and if you try to involve his bosses they might use a knee jerk reaction and shut down the trails. From what I've seen the more the trails are smoothed out the faster people will ride on them. I wonder if leaving the whoops (nature's speedbumps) in and around the blind curves would slow riders down some. If I remember correctly there is a 25 miles per hour speed limit on the trails. I have seen people going faster than that in the parking lot going to the trails. Wonder how fast they run on the trails?

I would like to meet up with others who post here once a month, ride the trail and note where the worst parts of the trail are. After a lunch break, go back and try to fix some of them.  From what I understand volunters are only allowed to work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for their safety.

2021 Can-Am Defender X MR
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

Not to sound like a Debbie downer, but if the blind curve do not get fixed, I could really care less if they closed the trail down. Safety should always come first with ATVs or SXS. Like I stated earlier I almost went head-on with 1000cc SxS and a 50cc child.  I don't know how they can continue to advertise this trail system with it being so un safe.  But, once again, we're talking about Florida who could care less about the off-road world.  I commend Kris for all he does for the trails, but as stated before, even when you clear some of the blind corners from the start, by the time you get the whole trail system done, you have to start from the beginning again. It's too much upkeep for just volunteers.  Again, make it a one-way trail system and you would not have to trim back the blind corners. I would love to know who in government always shoots down the one-way trail system. They must be a total idiot. I'm sorry for the families that only want to ride on 3 miles of the trail then turn around.  if you want to do this, ride the north trails, not the 50 Mel centennial loop.  I refuse to ride this trail anymore. The only way would be if i were in a group and did not lead.  I have way to much money in my machine to wreck it or worse injure someone

little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 06:04:53 PM »

I don't think posting about accidents and near accidents would be a good idea. Kris is already aware of the problem and if you try to involve his bosses they might use a knee jerk reaction and shut down the trails. From what I've seen the more the trails are smoothed out the faster people will ride on them. I wonder if leaving the whoops (nature's speedbumps) in and around the blind curves would slow riders down some. If I remember correctly there is a 25 miles per hour speed limit on the trails. I have seen people going faster than that in the parking lot going to the trails. Wonder how fast they run on the trails?

I would like to meet up with others who post here once a month, ride the trail and note where the worst parts of the trail are. After a lunch break, go back and try to fix some of them.  From what I understand volunters are only allowed to work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for their safety.

I disagree with you on the postings. Kris has probably known about the danger from the blind turns for many years and nothing has been done about them.

I believe the posted speed limit is 20 MPH, not 25. Having smooth trails is why my wife and I go there. I get enough of the whoops at 5A on Saturdays. The smoothness of the trails on blind turns has nothing to do with it. If you can't see somebody coming at you till two seconds till you crash, it doesn't matter how smooth or rough the trails are. Some riders are going to speed no matter what, so we need to be able to see them coming.

As for the work party, sounds good but you may clear one blind turn. It will take years to do it that way and not many people will volunteer. Machinery is what we need. Get a guy with a good bush hog or get the dozer Kris was talking about and things will get better quickly.

The worst part of the trails are when you leave the TH up at US40 and go down 12 miles on either side. No trail work ever gets done in this area cause they want to fix the blind turns down at Big Scrub Campground for those people who stay there. In the winter time they do drag that area up there, but no trimming on the turns is ever done.

Larry
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »

who shot down a proposal for a one way trail?  just about every trail system in the US including the Hatfield McCoy trail system is a ONE WAY trail system for safety.  Whomever shot it down, I can't wait till they ride the trail and hurt themselves then lets see what happens.  STUPID...  Kris, who can I write to or email to tell them my concerns on how I almost killed a child head on.  There are minimal places to ride to begin with in FL and the ones we have are suicide rides.  Somebody needs to wake up.  I know you and your volunteers bust your buts trying to make the trails wider and clear back the blind corners.  To be honest, you are right.  Green grows.  By the time you get to every hairpin blind corner and clear them, the ones you started with will be grown in thicker than you started.  To be honest even the hairpin turns that the volunteers cleared already still gives you a second or so to dodge a sport quad coming sideways around a berm at full throttle.  I still can't believe the topic of a one way trail came up and there are stupid people that said no way.  This gets me very mad since I am a huge supporter of ATV riding in FL.  Please provide some info on who I can write to.  thanks Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
FYI I have Rode Every Hatfield McCoy Trail (8Trail Systems) All Trails are 2 Way There is not Not a single 1 way Trail @ Hatfield McCoy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:28:47 PM by gmiller0737 » Logged
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »

4 days ago I sent Kris a PM and asked him to give us an update on this thread, but no reply yet. I hope he hasn't abandoned us. Larry
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 05:44:04 PM »

who shot down a proposal for a one way trail?  just about every trail system in the US including the Hatfield McCoy trail system is a ONE WAY trail system for safety.  Whomever shot it down, I can't wait till they ride the trail and hurt themselves then lets see what happens.  STUPID...  Kris, who can I write to or email to tell them my concerns on how I almost killed a child head on.  There are minimal places to ride to begin with in FL and the ones we have are suicide rides.  Somebody needs to wake up.  I know you and your volunteers bust your buts trying to make the trails wider and clear back the blind corners.  To be honest, you are right.  Green grows.  By the time you get to every hairpin blind corner and clear them, the ones you started with will be grown in thicker than you started.  To be honest even the hairpin turns that the volunteers cleared already still gives you a second or so to dodge a sport quad coming sideways around a berm at full throttle.  I still can't believe the topic of a one way trail came up and there are stupid people that said no way.  This gets me very mad since I am a huge supporter of ATV riding in FL.  Please provide some info on who I can write to.  thanks Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
FYI I have Rode Every Hatfield McCoy Trail (8Trail Systems) All Trails are 2 Way There is not Not a single 1 way Trail @ Hatfield McCoy

But, if they are 2 way, I bet they are not as near tight or dangerous. From the pics they look great. I also saw a pic from there with a rider standing in front of a one way sign...huh

gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »

I am @ Ashland Atv Resort Right Now Riding Hatfield McCoy's Indian Ridge-Pocahontas & Pinnacle Creek Trail Systems Our 2nd Trip this year & been Here 10 or more times,I Never seen a 1 way trail & have ridden every system they have excepting their brand new Devil Anse Connector,Most trails are fairly wide but there are a few tighter sections & lots of steeper uphills/downhills & curves/switchbacks& they have a few Single Track Trails (Dirt Bikes) Most Riders burn their headlights on the trails to improve visibility for oncoming riders & ,Most will use hand signals as to how many riders are following them,Traills are rated to difficulty Green=Easier,Blue=More Difficult,Black=Most Difficult & Red/Black=Exterme Difficult & Most of The Red/Black are restricted to 4x4 Atv's Only (No SxS Machines) Wv. is a great place to ride & quite a few areas allow Atv's on local 2 lane roads for access to Gas/Food.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:17:54 PM by gmiller0737 » Logged
patches206
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

I am @ Ashland Atv Resort Right Now Riding Hatfield McCoy's Indian Ridge-Pocahontas & Pinnacle Creek Trail Systems Our 2nd Trip this year & been Here 10 or more times,I Never seen a 1 way trail & have ridden every system they have excepting their brand new Devil Anse Connector,Most trails are fairly wide but there are a few tighter sections & lots of steeper uphills/downhills & curves/switchbacks& they have a few Single Track Trails (Dirt Bikes) Most Riders burn their headlights on the trails to improve visibility for oncoming riders & ,Most will use hand signals as to how many riders are following them,Traills are rated to difficulty Green=Easier,Blue=More Difficult,Black=Most Difficult & Red/Black=Exterme Difficult & Most of The Red/Black are restricted to 4x4 Atv's Only (No SxS Machines) Wv. is a great place to ride & quite a few areas allow Atv's on local 2 lane roads for access to Gas/Food.

Thanks for the info, I am going to Twin Hollow Campground next month.   They are in Gilbert WV and will be riding the Rockhouse trails.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »

You will have a Blast! With The New Devil Anse Trail you can ride it From Rockhouse to Buffalo Mountain Trail.
Thanks for the info, I am going to Twin Hollow Campground next month.   They are in Gilbert WV and will be riding the Rockhouse trails.
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »

Patches you better not let new guy find out where you'll be. He may find you with his lightning fast fists lol.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

Patches you better not let new guy find out where you'll be. He may find you with his lightning fast fists lol.

NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!

Please don't bring that crap over to this thread !!!
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »

Long time no see. How have you been.  Still camping at the fort

stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »

Hey D. Yes going 4th of July. How have y'all been?

Smiley
Long time no see. How have you been.  Still camping at the fort

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
funknmudder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2016, 07:23:44 AM »

Hey gmiller0737 - I stayed near Ashland Atv Resort in early May and rode  Indian Ridge-Pocahontas & Pinnacle Creek Trail Systems We got there Sunday afternoon and stayed until Sat morning. I was wondering how many people do you come across daily on the trails. We would run into 1 to 3 folks a day (mon thru thur) we did 80-110 miles each day until Friday then we ran into/passed close to 12-18 different groups. Just wondering is the resort full as it was only 1/4 full in May and how much traffic do you pass daily as schools out now and it's family vacation time.
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

Hey gmiller0737 - I stayed near Ashland Atv Resort in early May and rode  Indian Ridge-Pocahontas & Pinnacle Creek Trail Systems We got there Sunday afternoon and stayed until Sat morning. I was wondering how many people do you come across daily on the trails. We would run into 1 to 3 folks a day (mon thru thur) we did 80-110 miles each day until Friday then we ran into/passed close to 12-18 different groups. Just wondering is the resort full as it was only 1/4 full in May and how much traffic do you pass daily as schools out now and it's family vacation time.
We Just Returned Home Yesterday from Ashland Had a Great Time as usual & much cooler than here especily in The early am & evening Got To Meet Brian Fisher (Of Fishers Atv World TV Show) He pulled into Ashland Wensday Afternoon,There were Quite a few Folks @ Ashland This Trip Including a Group of around 30 Riders From Arkansas/Missouri So We did see a bit more folks on the Trail than Normal Besides That Group (Nice Guys By The Way) We Likely Passed maybe a dozen of so others each day,We Normaly go Up on Sunday & Leave Thursday Am To avoid the weekend Crowds,We are Going back 7/31 to 8/3 but staying @ Wild Willys Atv Rezort Then Nothing at all wrong with Ashland but I stay @ Willy's sometimes (Super Nice Guy) & smaller place so less people around (Just down the road from Ashland) & Will Likely go Back again in September or October,We Rode all 3 systems & Rode about 200 Miles in The 3 days
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com