Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Osceola OHV questions and introduction.  (Read 6983 times)
nondem

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

Hey, I live just West of Tallahassee and my property has direct access to the trails in the Apalachicola National Forest. I've lived here all my life(I'm 46) so I know the score here. I go to Windrock OHV(Tennessee) three times a year at least and consider that the primary use for my Off-road gear - love the rocks, remote locations and extreme challenges there. I much prefer slow technical rocky trails to running in High Gear. High gear is just for getting to the trails Smiley
I recently traded my Honda Rincon ATV in on a UTV(2015 Can-Am Commander XT) for several reasons - one of which being that I can safely haul the wife w/me on these trips.
Although I ride some around where I live - I have pretty much seen it all and am looking to explore what else I can on a day trip basis.  Not that I'm not up for a weekend ride in my area if someone needs a buddy on occasion. I've got a background in MX bikes(still own 2) and general off roading so I should be able to keep up.

I've never been to the Osceola National Forest so I've read what I could find online about the area - including some things here. A lot of it is from several years back so I assume things have evolved but If I missed the current correct answer to something please excuse me.
My understanding is that currently I don't need a permit like is required in the Apalachicola National Forest but I do need the Green OHV sticker? I was told my bill of sale can cover me for 30 days till the Title sticker shows up.
I have been studying the 2015 Vehicle Use map for that forest and was happy to see a lot more trails to explore than here where I live....but the map shows a lot of orphaned trails. IOW - trails that you can't access from other trails - meaning you have to go down numbered roads that don't appear to allow OHV traffic to access them.  For example - the area just South and East of the Gum Swamp Wilderness has a lot of trails but the roads connecting them don't always appear to allow OHV traffic which would seem to mean I'd have to load/unload a lot to see it all. Is it something that they don't strictly enforce?

Now for the most important question!
It all looks pretty much the same from the sky...where are the interesting areas? Are there any old remnants of past human habitation to see that have not been plowed under?  I read somewhere a mention that there were "some technical trails"... I dunno what they meant though - is technical just deep water or mud? I'm not that into deep water or mud, but am experienced and prepared to deal with it(winch).  Having said that - I'd like to try to avoid it unless there is something worth the effort on the other side - I know that is a tall order there Smiley

Lastly - I'd appreciate any current updates on areas to avoid for whatever reason...I'm a careful - responsible rider, don't litter or destroy stuff if I can help it, and obey the rules but sometimes that isn't enough Smiley

K_Man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »

I hope someone responds with some current information as I would like to try riding there also. If nothing else maybe we can meet there and go exploring. I have a 2013 Can-Am Commander. It has a winch also.

K_Man

2021 Can-Am Defender X MR
nondem

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »

I noticed that I posted the same question over a year ago on a very active atv boards "Where to ride" section.
Not a single reply still...So, either there isn't much of interest to see, not many people ride it - or it's really cool and they want to keep it to themselves.

I'll assume the last one until I see otherwise  Wink

I'll be up for a ride for sure in the next two-three weeks....I'm repacking my trailer bearings this weekend and getting new tires for it - or I'd be there already.
I noticed you have a Commander XT 800R - same as me....What problems have you had with it? Got any advice on what to look out for?
I think they made some changes to the rear diff and clutch system on the 2014+ models.

little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »

http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php?topic=34556.0
nondem

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »

Yea, that is one of the threads I saw....7 years old though.
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

I have ridden Osceola in the past it's been over a year since I have been We Ride Wv multiple times a year,My take on Osceola is Most trails go no where you just ride to the end turn around & ride back put your Atv/Utv on a Trailer & move on to the next trail & do the same few trails connect unless something has changed,Also Trails can be very wet at times,When We ride in Florida it's Ocala National Forrest atleast their Trails make a Loop & no trailering between most trails.
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »

WOW I just got back from my second trip to Windrock today.   Love that place there was some heavy rain and deep stream crossings whicjh area always fun.   Had to use the winch a few times to get by rocks and washed out areas.  I love watching the mega buck rock crawlers at that place.   I am up your way a few times a year I have a hunting lease in Baker County and ride the area from time to time. 

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

We are in West Virginia Right Now Riding @ Hatfield McCoy Trails We ride here several Times a Year if anyone gets a Chance to go to Wv & Ride don't pass it up!
grizzlynick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com