Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Osceola National Forest  (Read 4619 times)
TommyH

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »

Hey everyone,

I just recently picked up a SXS for getting around my property. Most of my riding has been done out there as well as further north in AL/GA/TN area. I wanted to go explore and ride out at Osceola this upcoming weekend, I have taken a full size truck out there a while back and I know it can get flooded in areas with recent wet weather. Reason I want to head there vs Ocala is I am wider than 50" that Ocala shows as the restriction, it's a lot closer since I in Jacksonville and finally waiting on dealer to complete registration which I am not sure if that will be done by the weekend.

My main concern is that it is hunting season. I am not familiar enough with the trails there but from the maps I have seen it appears where the trails run is open to hunting as well. Has anyone rode out there this time of year? How safe is it? It would just be me and a passenger riding not a big group which is a little more concerning until I find other folks to ride with. I know some hunters are ok while others can be well let's just say not as friendly and considering they are carrying I would rather avoid a conflict.

Is it just better to wait till the season is over on the 4th? If so I might just head north again or work more on my private trail. Thanks for any input, or if anyone plans to be out there riding this weekend maybe we can meetup.
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »

As stated it can be wet & muddy in addition to the Trail Maps you may want to go to www.myfwc.com & print the Osceola Wildlife Management area map In The Dog Hunt area expect quite a bit of Trucks on the roads & possibly on the trails,I I were to ride there during hunting season I would ride the trails that were in the still hunt areas to avoid the Trucks,We usually ride the Trails off of Forrest Road 215 (Turn off US90 across from Coloumbia Correctional) That area is still hunt,I ride Ocala More frequently & while My RZR is 50" I have seen quite a few UTV's that were over 50" riding there,Personaly I avoid riding during General Gun Season but I hunt usually in the Dog areas so about all My free time is spent hunting,1 reason I prefer Ocala is The Trails mostly make a Loop so you don't have to backtrack + very little mud That place seems to soak up water! We usually either Camp @ Delancy West or Park @ Rodman & Ride from there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:12:23 PM by gmiller0737 » Logged
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »

Only 3 trails on the Ocala have it marked for 50" or less.  By rule you can still ride the Yellow Trail, Red Trail and Blue Trail, (and some of the Brown) on the north end of the Forest.  You can also ride the Centennial Trail in the center of the Forest.  There at least 100 miles of trail that is SxS/UTV friendly, if not more.

Kris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com