Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to trails  (Read 4506 times)
TommyH

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »

First post so let me introduce myself real quick. I live in NE Florida, just purchased about 17 acres that we are building a home on. I am working on purchasing a SXS to get around the property, use for work on the land, as well as have some fun with. So most of my riding will be on my private land but would like to get out and explore some other areas as well.

I know that there are several parks around the state for riding at (mud muckers, hardrock (use to race MTB there), Fat Daddys in GA, etc.) as well as the national forests. Osceola national will most likely be the closest to me, I have been there with my 4x4 truck and know about the jeep trails. The SXS's I have been looking at are wider then an ATV or trail SXS, at 64 inches wide. Is this too wide for the national forest to hit the ATV trails? From what I have read they want them under 50", but I am hoping for someone with some experience with a wider SXS maybe that can give some insight. I have heard from the dealers (mostly trying to sell the item) that people have said they take their SXS to Osceola and Ocala but couldn't specify what trails they were accessing. I am guessing it's been the jeep trails and if so I will stick to the jeep trails only but would be nice if we can go on some other trails as well. It appears for the private parks this is not really an issue, but public land it might be.

I want to say I read also that Ocala for ROV has to be 60" or less for width. Are they strict on that or can you get away with a rig that's 64"? Or should I just stick with the Jeep trails there as well?

Also seen some videos and info on here for Ortega and other areas in Jacksonville. Everything I have seen for these areas appear to be ATV only in the videos. Is the space just not wide enough for a SXS? Or are they just not common yet?

I know with some mods, I can register the SXS for the road which would allow me to travel between trails on paved roads a little more freely. I am hoping that with the SXS becoming popular that more things open up on public land.

Thanks in advance for any info.
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 12:33:30 AM »

Welcome to the site.  Ocala has trails you can ride on without issues.  If you camp you can stay in the forest at Lake Delancy where most trails are located.  There is also a KOA in Ft McCoy which has a connector trail and I saw lots of side by sides there this past Memorial Day weekend.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »

I don't care for the trails @ Osceola for Atv/SxS Riding They don't really go anywhere most you can just ride down & turn around & ride Back + usualy wet & plenty of bugs Then you have to trailer to the next trail,Ocala is where We Ride most of the Time at lease the Trails make a Loop & you can hit the Salt Springs Connector & walk across to the Salt Springs Plaza & grab a bite to eat at The Square Meal + Like Stated above Camping available We usualy camp @ Delancy West the Atv trail goes through the Campground.
TommyH

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »

Thanks for the input, ya I was thinking that about osceola. The last time I went there in the truck the trails retained lots of water and was breeding grounds for bugs. Not so bad in an enclosed 4x4 truck but an open SxS... Never really been on the atv trails there but was guessing they would roughly be the same.

Sounds like Ocala is the place to go for public land riding or a private park which is ok. I try to get to Ocala once a month to ride my mountain bike at Santos. Was hoping for something a little closer Jax to ride, but I plan to make 1 or 2 trails on my land that circle the property hopefully working on that and driving it should keep me occupied.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com