Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocala, Best Place To Camp and Ride?  (Read 17527 times)
Salty Dog

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:22:45 AM »

I'm looking for a kid friendly campground where my family can keep our four ATVs on the site and ride right to the trails.

My kids are 10 and 12 and just looking for slow trails to go exploring and a decent campground for families.

Thanks
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »

On the Ocala National Forest...
Big Scrub Campground - $12 per night per site (can have up to two vehicles, not counting OHVs), amneties include hot water showers and full bathrooms.  No electric hookups; there are some water spickets located throughout the campground, but not per site.  The OHV trail leaves rigt out of the campground and has two loops, a large outer one (approx 32 miles), and a smaller bottom one (19 miles).  Trails are two-way and designed for slower speeds.  Cost to ride trail is $10 per adult OPERATOR ($5 under age 15) for a 72hour pass, can be bought at campground with cash or check.  The camping fee can be paid ahead of time by searching for Big Scrub Campground on www.reserveamerica.com or when you arrive by check or cash.  The host(s) do not readily have change on them.  The campground has 62 sites and always has vacancies. 
OHV rules to know:  NO NIGHT RIDING, NO DOUBLE-RIDING ATVs (the machine has to be maunfactured for a rider and a passenger to carry someone, it would state this on the manufacturers plate), KIDS must have DOT approved helmet, eye protection and over-the-ankle boots when riding a dirtbike or ATV, NO UNLINCENSED VEHICLES ON FOREST SERVICE ROADS, TRAIL ONLY!

The other campground that you can do this on is Delancy West, it is $6 per vehicle per night, no flush vault toilets are available, and there is a nearby handpump well for water.  No running water or electric at campground.  You can leave the campground on the trail from here with same purchasing requirements and 72-hour period.  Trails are weaved together on North End and are about 150 miles or so of two-way trail.  Only cash or check at Delancy West.

Both these campgrounds can be found on the Ocala National Forest website, as well as directions to them.
-Kris 
Salty Dog

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

Thanks for the info Kris

It looks like Big Scrub would be better for the family. By unlicensed vehicles are you talking about the ATVs.

Right now mine have no off-road sticker and I'd like to keep it that way as two of the four have no titles.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »

Correct, ATVs and UTVs in regards to not being on roads.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »

Untitled ATVs will earn you a citation, at the very least, in ONF. In the eyes of the law, untitled vehicles encourage vehicle theft. If your "buddy" sold it to you, you may be in possession of stolen property. If they stop you and run the VIN, the vehicle will be impounded and you may be arrested. Not my rules, just the law.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Salty Dog

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

So what's the process to register them. Do I take the title to my local DMV and get some off-road sticker?
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:09:01 PM »

Title or Manufacturers Statement of Origin ( If never titled) Take to Tax Collectors Office & get Green OHV Registration Stickers & The want you to carry Registration/Proof of Ownership,We just returned from a Couple of days of Camping/riding Camped @ Delancy West did not see any law enforcement but you never know when you may see them,We had a enjoyable trip about the only Restaurant around is The Square Meal at Salt Springs Plaza good Breakfast or Lunch (They close @ 2pm If you Ride the Longleaf Trail (Yellow) Take the SSC (Salt Springs Connector) at the end there is a Corral you can park there & walk across to the Salt Springs Plaza.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

Croom is awesome!!   I-75 and exit 301  all kinds of places  to eat!!    campground is very kid friendly and has a kiddie riding area in the campground

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
Salty Dog

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.

Do you know what the registration requirements are at Croom? Are there trails there?
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

its a 2600 acre  park full of trails!!    60/tr for sticker or 15 day per bike   just need to show them your vin# on a piece of paper with your ID,  helmets required at all times  $22/night for camping      parts store directly outside the gate entrance, several hotels right outside the gate entrance along with grocery store (winn-dixie)  also gas stations,restaurants,etc.   personally I love all the amenities right there very close!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:13:52 PM by zman03 » Logged

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »

Just to clear up some things.

Per the ONF and Croom:
Having your OHV titled (having proof of ownership) is a State Requirement.  I cannot speak for how enforcement is done at Croom, but that does not mean that you don't have to go about following the law the same way.  On public lands within the State of Florida, your OHV must be titled according to the Florida Titling Laws. See here:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/OHVGuide.pdf

As for the Ocala National Forest:
Federal Lands trump State Lands, as well as, OHV laws and requirements, however it is the position of the ONF to aid in enforcement of State OHV laws since they operate within the State of Florida.  The OHV Titling Requirement being one of them, along with double-riding, child safety equipment requirements, etc. 
As always, wherever you go, it is the Officer's discretion to deal with a violation as they see fit.  I would make every effort to get your machines legal according to FL state law for use on public lands.  I can say that to my knowledge since I've been around, (I could be missing one here), I do not know of a citation written on the ONF for an untitled OHV...warnings yes.

-Kris
Butterflygirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

Are these trails just for ATV?
or can we bring our  side x side

2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 EPS
Browning LE
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »

yeah well they are also suppose to be using our registration fees to develope riding areas also Deal!!   but we all know what a load of crap thats been here in Florida   especially south Florida!!  the place that was identified by the Law makers as having the highest need (critical) to develope a site. Give Hell Flaming

K_Man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »

You can ride Side X Sides on the Centinial Trail and most of the trails around Lake Delancy. Lake Delancy has a couple of trails for ATV only and Motocycle only, but not that many.

2021 Can-Am Defender X MR
Salty Dog

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 08:01:54 AM »

Are helmets required in Onf?
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:10 AM »

Are helmets required in Onf?

Only for kids!  I think 15 & younger.

Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »

All correct on helmets and side by side information.  Thanks everyone for their input as well.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »

USDA Forest Service invites you to celebrate the opening of the new Centennial Off-Highway Vehicle Trailhead.

Saturday, April 12th, 2014 - Ribbon-cutting ceremony will begin at 11:00am

Following the ceremony, trail rider user groups and local power sport retailers will be on hand providing tips and techniques about trail riding for the public.  Forest Service personnel will be answering questions about the trail system and recretion areas on the Ocala National Forest.

Hope you can come out, should be a great time!  You can even camp at nearby Big Scrub Campground and gain entry onto the Centennial Trail System from there for a $10 per operator fee payable by cash, check, or money order at the OHV Fee Kiosk in the campground!  Same OHV Fee Kiosk is located at the new trailhead!

For more information contact the Lake George District Ranger Office at 352-625-2520.  You can also get more information by emailing kdclere@fs.fed.us

There is a FLYER attached below!

* Doc1.pdf (148.83 KB - downloaded 343 times.)
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

Where is the new TH located at?

The flyer gave directions to the TH off of FR13.

Larry
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »

The one off of FR13 is the correct one, they are finally doing the Grand Opening...just took awhile to get all the ducks in a row! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com