Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texting  (Read 24625 times)
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »

There's been a lot on the news lately about that ex cop killing that guy in the movie theater cause he was texting. I'm an old guy and not really familiar with texting, but I thought texting was a quite way of communicating with your friends.

If that's true, then why would anybody get upset if someone was texting? I can understand if the guy was talking loudly on a cell phone, but I can't understand getting mad about someone quietly texting.

I know, he shot the guy cause of popcorn being thrown in his face, but the texting started it all.

Comments please !

Larry
riley804

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:03:51 PM »

often when a message comes in on the phone it will make a chime, beep, etc....so if that was the case, it would get rather irritating especially since one is paying to see a movie .

the light of the phone being turned on could have been distracting.

before a movie starts, they show a message to turn off cell phones and no texting during the movie as one wants to be respectful of others.    Not saying that this is the case, but people will often think that stuff like this doesn't pertain to them and they can do what they want.

Maybe its a generation thing.....as kids these days get cell phones at such a young age and really don't know any better , where us older people can do with out them.       

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »

I read where the retired cop politely asked the man to stop texting. When the madman texter angrily-refused to stop and cursed at the old man, the old man went and got an usher. When the usher told the man to stop, the maniac texter physically got within inches of the old man, yelling at him and tossed the popcorn container in his face, while continuing to yell profanities at him. The old man feared that he was about to be assaulted and battered. Once he felt he had to draw his weapon, he had no time to retreat, due to his close proximity to the mad tester. He feared the madman would grab the weapon and continue his assault on the old man. Clear case of suicide to me, but, I'd have tried harder to handle it differently. The old man is screwed because one witness asked reporters, "who carries a weapon into a movie theater"? But, the real answer to his question is, "the one's who'll be shooting back at any/all madmen who attempt to murder"!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:15:37 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »

The man who was shot was a well known rider/father in Central Florida. He was texting the babysitter who was watching over his daughter so he and his wife could spend the evening at the movies.

If someone asks you to put away your phone when you're checking up on your kid, how would you react?
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »

I'd say, "oh, I'm sorry, etc. and I'd go to the lobby to complete my communications without rudely distracting others! Or, I'd ignore the person and quickly finish my text. Communication is over-rated, actions speak louder! Folks today communicate the most useless information(because it's so easy), yet they don't know simple courtesy and have to be told.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:06:22 AM by AintSkeered » Logged

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »

the man  killed was done so without need.  the guy shooting truly had to realize he was over reacting to an annoying thing like texting in a movie theater.  an absolute tragedy that ruined many lives!!     and yet to many would say modern technology has been this great wonder for all.     

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »

The fact is, we weren't there, to see whether or not the 72 y.o. Shooter might have been in fear of great bodily harm or worse. And, unfortunately, most witnesses are ignorant of the law, fear guns, subscribe to MSNBC, etc., so, their perceptions/delusions of the event are stacked against this old man. I guess you have to be in healthcare to understand how brittle the health of most 72 y.o.s bodies are and witness their fear of overly-aggressive, hostile, threatening and profanity-spewing madmen(including with with cellphones or in cars). The old guy obviously knows the law and served his community as a cop for decades. He had many other opportunities, over the years, to "over-react" and get away with it, and he did NOT! It's just a tragedy, which will be worse if the shooter goes to prison.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:38:53 AM by AintSkeered » Logged

Thunderdually

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »

The fact is, we weren't there, to see whether or not the 72 y.o. Shooter might have been in fear of great bodily harm or worse. And, unfortunately, most witnesses are ignorant of the law, fear guns, subscribe to MSNBC, etc., so, their perceptions/delusions of the event are stacked against this old man. I guess you have to be in healthcare to understand how brittle the health of most 72 y.o.s bodies are and witness their fear of overly-aggressive, hostile, threatening and profanity-spewing madmen(including with with cellphones or in cars). The old guy obviously knows the law and served his community as a cop for decades. He had many other opportunities, over the years, to "over-react" and get away with it, and he did NOT! It's just a tragedy, which will be worse if the shooter goes to prison.

The fact is, we weren't there, to see whether or not the 72 y.o. Shooter might have been in fear of great bodily harm or worse”. This is true. 

“ He had many other opportunities, over the years, to "over-react" and get away with it, and he did NOT” How do you know he didn’t? He might have and it was covered up or simply didn’t make it into the newspaper. As a trained police officer he should have been able to handle the situation better. For that matter he shouldn’t have even gotten himself into that situation.

Do you really think it’s an over reaction to take the life of another person? and that it’s just a tragedy he took a life over something a stupid as texting.

If your carrying a gun for protection an intend to use it for protection and do use it for protection then you should be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.

And where and how do we define  (fear for our lives?) If we accept the broad definition of  fear for our life that we have in place today then by those standards I should be able to shoot a politician every time they open their mouth because when they do I’m in fear of my life.

It’s tragic that we live in a world today where so many people have so very little regard for the life of another person.

"Want what you have and you'll always have what you want"

Mine..      2006 Polaris  Sportsman Camo 450 4X4
              26 inch ITP Mudlites
               Magellan 2000 GPS

Wife's ...  2006 Polaris Sportsman  Camo 450  4X4
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

I can see there are many gun activist on this site.  I guess there should be being an ATV site and many AtVers are hunters, rednecks or jus gun toting people. I have never been into guns, nor do I want to be.  It's a shame how this world has become that some will say this gentleman who shot was in fear of his life and responded in self defense.  This was a movie theater, in the middle of the day no less.  The gentleman was retired police officer.  Does this mean all cops or retired cops should draw a weapon when off duty when obscenities and popcorn are thrown at you?  I know it stated he got an usher, but I'm sure if he asked for a manager he would have gotten better results.  Nobody and I mean nobody deserves to be killed over texting, popcorn or whatever.  Can any of you honestly say you have never cursed at a driver on the road because they cut you off or had someone yell at you because you accidentally cut them off?  I guess we should shoot the and kill them because we were in fear of our lives....oops wait, I'm not a cop so I don't know better?  I think this topic should be locked because it's heading down a road that is going to piss a lot of members off.

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
little blue 300
Contributing Member Plus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »

Thanks for all of your replies !

I didn't want to start a war or anything though. I haven't went to a movie theater in over 20 years cause of people talking during the movie and things like that. Cell phones weren't even around back then. The texting guy should have went out to the lobby, but nobody should have died over this.

Larry
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »

Of course, no one should have died! I didn't think I had to explain that. But, you can assume this was about texting all you want and you can believe it would all have ended after the popcorn. But, you weren't there. How beat up/injured does a 72 y.o. have to get before you give him the right to defend himself? Can you measure it? A black eye, a broken nose? Just be considerate and don't assault/batter people, they may be armed and afraid!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:34:43 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

None of you guys talking are local to this. You are so far from what actually happened.
This "old man" is in trouble for his bad choices. Middle of the day only 12-15 people in the whole theater and it was during the previews not the actual movie.
If you are being annoyed by a texter why wouldn't you just move to one of the other 300 seats instead of engage the person.
The old man should have moved, PERIOD! He is not the owner of the theater.
He has a history of bullying other movie goers at this theater for the same thing. Also the old man was a big boy and appeared to be in good shape, not some decrepit little old man with a cane.
For the record, I am a gun guy and I do support ccp.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »

None of us was there, no matter how close we might live to the scene. And, now we're deciding that movie goers are only entitled to just the main attraction? News accounts said the old man went and got an usher, after being cursed at for politely asking texter to be quiet and that enfuriated the texter to continue his assault and popcorning. If it were a concert, would the old man be entitled to enjoy the opening act without someone talking, standing up and blocking his view, etc.? Just saying, there's gotta be more to the story. No matter what shape YOU want to believe a man's in at 72! That texter clearly did not see an equal match in that 72 y.o.. He could be your father or grandfather. Let's let the judicial system sort it out.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:05:32 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »

Does it really matter whether or not it was about texting? What if I was parked off the side of a rural dirt road when a middle-aged ATVer came flying past me going 50-60 mph, kickin up dust and I raised my hands(as if to say, WTF)? Would that give the ATVer the right to turnaround, stop 10 yards away and shout obscenities, while tapping the axe handle he had strapped on the front of his ATV? I say, yes, it's a free country and he's on a public road. But, if he were to leave the road and begin to approach me, do I have to wait to see how much he's going to hurt me? No, sir, I do not. That old man did not have the luxury of time or distance to make his decision.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:06:36 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 10:43:04 PM »

Again, someone died here who shouldn't have.  If this man was a cop, I'm sure he knew many other options of self defense other than shooting a man at point blank range that was unarmed.  I'm doing posting on this thread but had to give my opinion because people are actually sticking up for this injustice.  I would encourage people to stop posting to this thread.  Could you imagine if the victims wife were to read some of these responses?  Again, it's a shame what this world has come to

greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »

apparently your news reports contradict the local news here who have interviewed witnesses who were sitting in the same row. He actually went to speak with a manager and got nothing. And in NO news report did it ever say the old man asked politely. and yes the courts will decide it.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

Incorrect. http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78884484/

No one should judge the guilt nor innocence of this old man because we don't have all of the facts. For those of you who want this to be a clear case of manslaughter, based only upon news reports, gossip, etc., we'll see what the courts decide(after exploring facts vs. opinions). If you don't like this discussion, don't participate. If the old man simply shoved the texter, in response to the popcorn, and the texter died after hitting his head, would we still be having this discussion?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:47:07 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »

This reminds me of another story of a lack of courtesy. Many years ago, while sitting at the counter in a diner, a couple walked in and the women sat at the stool, next to me. She asked if I'd mind her smoking. I replied, "if you don't mind me farting"! The man said an abbreviated version of, "not a very nice person". I replied, then why ask me? The woman did not light up.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:02:08 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Incorrect about what? Don't see the "old man politely asked" anywhere in the ad nor do I see where he went to get an "usher". In the local news the attorneys for the man said he went to get a manager. Either way the only thing this goes to show in this day and age is you can't go off on anyone because EVERYONE is armed to the teeth and some are stupid enough to kill you over an argument or in this case some popcorn! Very sad.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »

The news report states, "The argument began after Oulson asked Reeves if he had reported him to theater staff for using his phone". Was it not enough to ask the texter to be quiet and not enough for the staff to ask him to stop? The texter continued to provoke the confrontation! At what point was he going to cease his verbal and physical assault on a much older man? Old people are more fearful of the potential for great physical harm. The old man may or may not have had the option of returning to his seat in order to move his wife to another location in the theater, before or after the threatening, profane rant of a popcorn throwing texter. Would the texter have provoked a much younger man?

trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »

Just an overzealous ex-cop that probably abused his position of authority for many years and it finally caught up to him because he didn't have a badge to hide behind anymore.  Reports have also indicated that he was a hot head while being employed at TPD, does this surprise anyone? Rot in hell you dirty cop!
Aintskeered, you are so way out in left field you're starting to sound like a hyena on crack.  Bang Head

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
NewMember
Supreme Member

I have super HUGE arms !!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

If some man would have said something to me about texting on my phone and yelled at me I would have just squeezed his wind pipe shut until he passed out and been done with it !!!  Angry

I can not be beaten in a fist fight !
Little Bar Arm Wrestling Champion 2018 !
Proud to work at Tractor Supply !
Strongest man on atvflorida !
I can squeeze your wind pipe shut with one hand !
I want to drink beer with everyone !
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »

Just an overzealous ex-cop that probably abused his position of authority for many years and it finally caught up to him because he didn't have a badge to hide behind anymore.  Reports have also indicated that he was a hot head while being employed at TPD, does this surprise anyone? Rot in hell you dirty cop!
Aintskeered, you are so way out in left field you're starting to sound like a hyena on crack.  Bang Head
Clapper
TNTaylor
MudMarine

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »

Clapper

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

2006 Suzuki Vinson Camo
2007 Raptor 700
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »

Bravo.  Best post on this thread yet.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com