Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I know when it's time to change the chain?  (Read 4667 times)
Rathbone

2005 Raptor 350

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »

Someone looking at my ATV pointed out that a little bit of rubber was sticking out from one of the links.  I didn't even know there was rubber in the chain.  It doesn't look like a big deal, though.  When is it time to change the chain?
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »

Get a hold of the service manual, it describes the allowable specs for the chain. You need to measure between the pins with a caliper and see if it's stretched out too far. Another clue is if your sprocket teeth look more like shark fins.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Rathbone

2005 Raptor 350

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

Thanks!  The sprocket looks like new, but I don't have the manual.  I'll have to see whether I can download it somewhere.  BTW I have a 2005 Yamaha Raptor 350.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »

If that's the original chain, you'll likely need replacing of the chain and both sprockets. However, if it can still be tightened to specs, forget about it.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Rathbone

2005 Raptor 350

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »

I don't think this had many hours on it when i bought it but I'm making up for that.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

when in doubt switch it out!!!   nothing like new parts!!!   corrosion is always a sign of an old part.  I have an 8500lb. tensile strength X-ring. you gotta lube it everytime before use and clean after and lube again Thumbs Up   it should last you a pretty long time 

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »

Another way is to grab the chain in your hand and shake it. If it sounds like a bag of marbles it means the rollers are worn out and it's time to replace it. The rubber is from the o-rings between the links and pins. Don't buy a cheap replacement, in my opinion there is no "good" cheap chain. As reasonably priced sprockets are ya'd be better off to change them too.
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »

chain and sprockets should always be changed together.

if you were to remove the chain and hold it straight out so that the links are now making a bridge type, the chain should be fairly straight and not making an arch towards the ground. the more it archs, the more likely it is worn out.

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com