Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plugging atv tire?  (Read 7375 times)
serg88

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »

Have any of you guys plugged a atv tire before and have gotten away with it for some time?
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »

Absolutely! Unlike auto/truck tires, ATV tires use only 6 PSI, so, they're not going to grenade on you and cause loss of control of the vehicle. We've used as many as 6-8 plugs to plug a sidewall laceration while 20 miles deep in Big Cypress Preserve(no roadside assistance to call) and it lasted for several months until we finally got around to patching it from the inside.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:50:18 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »

Absolutely! Unlike auto/truck tires, ATV tires use only 6 PSI, so, they're not going to grenade on you and cause loss of control of the vehicle. We've used as many as 6-8 plugs to plug a sidewalk laceration while 20 miles deep in Big Cypress Preserve(no roadside assistance to call) and it lasted for several months until we finally got around to patching it from the inside.

Totally agree! You can plug them and it will usually last a long time.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »

Plugs in sidewall can work themselves out,depending on location, also trim them as low to the tread as possible to keep them from getting caught on something. For an emergency absolutely.

If you do have a chance to have a patch put on it afterwards would be the best solution.

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

Absolutely! Unlike auto/truck tires, ATV tires use only 6 PSI, so, they're not going to grenade on you and cause loss of control of the vehicle. We've used as many as 6-8 plugs to plug a sidewalk laceration while 20 miles deep in Big Cypress Preserve(no roadside assistance to call) and it lasted for several months until we finally got around to patching it from the inside.

Yep, that was my tire. 27x10x12 front right Vampire, right on the sidewall. Held fine and BC was bumpy as hell that day.  I ran it like that for about 300 miles until I had a patch put on it. Why did I patch it after 300 miles?  I got bored and took it in to get fixed.

I did not have my patch kit but Aint did as usual and hooked me up..Thanks again Aint.  Wink

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »

Yeah, there's no AAA auto club to save your arse out there. Bald, fat and ugly old guys like me have no patience for our young guns, full of piss & vinegar, who don't bring tire plugs or run low on oil 20 miles in the preserve or wait till we get there to find their battery's no good, didn't bring enough fuel or food, etc.. But, then again them young muscles and flexibility are priceless when I break a drive axle yoke, snap a drive belt or get stuck in the swamp mud.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »

Kind of remember when Keeter wiped out big time & couldnt get his quad running. Towed him all the way to camp & than I ask hom to try again./ Well big & goofy must have turned on the kill switch when he wrecked........ Roll Eyes worked fine

Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:04:33 PM »

i used to work at an atv shop, I've put hundreds of plugs in atv tires, they work wonders. all atv tires are generally aired up to 4psi btw.
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »

Yeah, there's no AAA auto club to save your arse out there. Bald, fat and ugly old guys like me have no patience for our young guns, full of piss & vinegar, who don't bring tire plugs or run low on oil 20 miles in the preserve or wait till we get there to find their battery's no good, didn't bring enough fuel or food, etc.. But, then again them young muscles and flexibility are priceless when I break a drive axle yoke, snap a drive belt or get stuck in the swamp mud.

This should be moved to the "Tales from the Trails" forum..Just saying

This sums up about all of our rides out to BC..Dang that place is rough on a bike. I am gonna start stashing parts and fuel at Anoriginals place.   Grin Grin

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »

Kind of remember when Keeter wiped out big time & couldnt get his quad running. Towed him all the way to camp & than I ask hom to try again./ Well big & goofy must have turned on the kill switch when he wrecked........ Roll Eyes worked fine

LOL  No wait the funniest part is you dropping your panties to get the ants off of your willy.  Now that was funny

BTW..Bike still runs fine..With the switch on  Uh Humm

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com