Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend on the ONF  (Read 4244 times)
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL YET!!!

Read the following from a proposed flyer and let em know if this is something that you would attend.  I would like to offer something special to those who come out as well (maybe a discount on the fees or some other reward), but I would have to get it approved through my supervisors/chain of command first.  Currently I am looking to provide hot dogs, water, soda, maybe some music and games, and some information regarding the Ocala National Forest and its recreational opportunities.

Here is the wording on the flyer:

Come out to Big Scrub Campground on Saturday, May 28th, 2011 and enjoy free refreshments and hot dogs to celebrate Memorial Day! Bring your ATV, dirt bike, side-by-side or other off-highway vehicle out and ride the Centennial Trail and Scrub Jay Loop!  Camp for the night or the weekend, or just come for the day and enjoy the Scrub ecosystem and some of its destinations along the trail and roads.
Food, refreshments, music and more will be available beginning at 11:30am and will continue until we run out or go to bed!
 Recreational Fees at Big Scrub:
Camping overnight/day parking: $12 per site (2 non-off-highway vehicle maximum per site).  Golden Age pass is $6 per the above.
OHV Trail riding:  $10 per OHV operator, ($5 if 15 and under).  Children 15 and under should have a DOT approved helmet, over-the-ankle footwear (boots), adequate eye-protection, and have taken an ATV/Motorcycle Safety Course (preferably with proof on them or in their machine).

If you have any suggestions for me they would be greatly appreciated! Again this is a quick idea I came up with today and would need to finalize some things before I could make it official in the next couple days.  If you think you would come out, if you could reply with the amount of people you may bring and what your intent would be...camping, just for the day, riding or not riding...that sort of thing!

Thanks everyone,
Kris
z400250

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Do both trails have a speed limit? what is the length of each trail?
Thanks!!

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »

The Centenial Trail and Scrub Jay Loop are essentially the same trail.  The outer loop is regarded as the Centennial Trail.  A smaller, inner loop shares the bottom of the Centennial and is regarded as the Scrub Jay Loop.  The entire system in this area is referred to as the Ocala Adventure Trail or the Centennial Trail.
The Trail system has a posted speed limit of 20mph.  This is to keep speeds down due to two-way traffic.  The trails are designed for enjoyment of nature, not for high speeds.  You travel at your own risk in regards to speed as we obviously cannot patrol the entire trail at the same time.  Whatever speed you feel safe traveling at is what is important, just remember that there are sometimes other riders traveling at different speeds in different directions.
The entire trail system is just over 47 miles.  The Scrub Jay Loop is right at 20 miles and the Centennial Loop is closer to 35 miles.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.
-Kris
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »

I saw that crossover on 316 by the trailhead where does that trail go? Can you get to big scrub from the north trails yet?
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »

Oh man I wish!  no they don't connect yet.  They are only letting us extend the trails at small portions at a time.  The trail across from 316 travels almost 4 miles and stops currently at a corral next to the 88 Store.  Later it will continue south and cross 314 then FR11 and head towards Shanty Pond Campground...but I haven't been told yet when we can start that portion...I hope soon.  I, like most, are very excited about the idea of the trails connecting.  Ultimately, and this is solely my opinion, I think the more riders we get to start coming back out, the more likely we are to be able to open and maintain more trail sooner.
Sorry its not the full connection...yet!

-Kris
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

Well...due to my busy schedule during Saturday and the amount of ground I have to cover, I can't do the hotdog thing at Big Scrub, but I will still be around and invite everyone to come out for the weekend...however plan accordingly, I'm sure it will be a hot one!  Whatever you decide for you and your family, enjoy your Memorial Day weekend and above all be safe!

-Kris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com