Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF  (Read 85547 times)
zephyr

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »

KD I got a couple of questions
first you mention that you track the day passes how do you track the yearly pass holders
second what are the rules conserning cutting limbs that arepertruding out into the trails. I dont want a ticket for trying to help you.
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work Grin

2010 Green Polaris Sportsman 800
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

KD I got a couple of questions
first you mention that you track the day passes how do you track the yearly pass holders
second what are the rules conserning cutting limbs that arepertruding out into the trails. I dont want a ticket for trying to help you.
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work Grin
We do have a log of everyone who purchases a yearly pass, however we ask those individuals to make a photo copy or our office will make a copy to place in their window while riding so we can check.  Most times, if I don't find a hangtag or any proof in a vehicle, I issue a warning saying "proof or purchase was not displayed" NOT "you didn't pay".  This allows me to leave an info sheet that tells the individual what actions they could have done wrong and how to correct them, I also log each plate number and vehicle to see if it happens more than once...then things could get worse for that person.  That's all really in regards to that.
As for limbs...PLEASE cut them...with as much trail as I have to try and keep up with, I never get caught up on the trimming, it is almost impossible.  Riders like you are the only ones who can help out!  You are more than welcome to remove limbs, brush and downed trees (of course, at YOUR risk) you know the government!  If you want to look into maybe trimming for a lil bit during a ride sometime, I can talk with you or anyone for that matter about volunteering for the day in exchange for free riding instead of the fees...BUT it has to be arranged prior to the ride not the day of or afterwards.
Thanks, Kris
zephyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 08:39:02 PM »

Thanks Kris
 Grin

strubby

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »

Finally, a lot of the questions I had about the new trail systems are answered! Are there any ideas or future plans for one way loops off the main trail? Almost everywhere I currently ride is non-directional or marked, so I'm not complaining in any way. Now that the girlfriend has her own bike I'd like to make a trip out. Where is best to park and what would be the best trails for sport riders? Also, to purchase the 3-day pass at the trailhead, does your ATV have to be registered? Mine is but we haven't gotten down to the tag office for the 250 yet. Thanks...

'13 Scrambler 850 LE
'15 RZR 900 S
'15 RZR XP1000 Highlifter (SOLD)
'12 RZR XP900 LE (SOLD)
'08 Outlaw 450 MXR (SOLD)
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2011, 03:20:28 PM »

Finally, a lot of the questions I had about the new trail systems are answered! Are there any ideas or future plans for one way loops off the main trail? Almost everywhere I currently ride is non-directional or marked, so I'm not complaining in any way. Now that the girlfriend has her own bike I'd like to make a trip out. Where is best to park and what would be the best trails for sport riders? Also, to purchase the 3-day pass at the trailhead, does your ATV have to be registered? Mine is but we haven't gotten down to the tag office for the 250 yet. Thanks...

Wandering Wiregrass trail off of CR445, (east off of HWY 19 towards Alexander Springs) is a 17 mile loop that is two-way, but seems to rode counter-clockwise by most riders.  For the majority of the trail it is open from brush for better natural visibility if that is your concern.  As of now, there are no plans to make any of the trails on the Ocala NF one-directional, sorry.  Just as an update, I am in the middle of trail-raking the Wiregrass and have finished the entire western side.  It is definitely a lot flatter than it was a week ago.  The trail it self has developed a lot of whoops and I am trying to knock them down now.
If you would like to try out any of the other trails on the National Forest, I would recommend parking at the trailhead north of the intersection of Forest Road 14 and Forest Road 09 to ride the Centennial Trail, a 45 mile looped system with two seperate, but shared loops.  This trailhead allows you to customzie your ride plan by looking at the map at the kiosk...it is also closest to any water areas...for cooling off.
As for the north end of the forest, I would park at the trailhead on HWY19 or CR316.
pault

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:18 AM »

Kdclere, you are doing an awsome job with the trails and keeping people informed. My family and I go there when we can and we have alway have a great time. What would be the best way to get to Big Scrub coming from Palatka and can you access the Wondiering Wiregrass and the new Centenial Trail (new on around the the bombing range) from Big Scrub. Where is the storee 88 at.
Thanks
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

Kdclere, you are doing an awsome job with the trails and keeping people informed. My family and I go there when we can and we have alway have a great time. What would be the best way to get to Big Scrub coming from Palatka and can you access the Wondiering Wiregrass and the new Centenial Trail (new on around the the bombing range) from Big Scrub. Where is the storee 88 at.
Thanks
Palatka take HWY19, pass HWY 40 and then continue south until Forest RD 14 (there is a neighborhood on both sides of the road at HWY19) and make right.  Travel 7 miles west until reaching Big Scrub Campground at the intersection of FR14 and FR14.
The Centennial Trail can be accessed from Big Scrub and gives you 47 total miles to ride.  The Wiregrass cannot be accessed from Big Scrub.  To use the Wiregrass you would have to trailer your machines past FR14 on HWY 19 another 1/3 miles then take CR445 east for a mile and a half until reaching the trailhead on your left.
These routes are the quickest as they keep you on pavement for the longest period of time.  Thank you for the kind words and I will keep up my hard work as best I can during the dry months.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »

As for the 88 Store it is on Forest Road 11 (what used to be Forest Road 88) just below the intersection of CR316 and FR11.  Easiest way to get to a trail head closest to this location from Palatka is to take HWY19 south until CR316 in Salt Springs then travel east until the 316 Trail Head.  From the trail head you can ride south on the new extension trail to the 88 Store, the extension is about 4 miles.  Also fromt he Trail Head you can access the other trails in the North Trail System.
Kris
pault

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »

Thanks for the quick response. We normaly offload and start at the Rodman trail head and ride all the north trails and pass through Lake Delancy campground to cool off and snack. So I can access the store from the North Trail. which one and is this store normally open on weekends. Thanks again.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »

Store connector is located off of the Brown Trail (pipeline trail).  It is attached to the brown trail at 316 TH.  As far as I know it is open everyday, unless hours have changed recently.
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »

On a last minute trip, we rode the centennial trail today.  Very nice ride and the trails were a 8 out of 10 in my book.  Very few whoops.  This trail seems easier to ride than the north trails since there are not as many blind spots to see traffic coming at you.  We parked at the TH before big scrub campgrounds a little off of powerline rd.  Is there any other TH you can access this trail without driving miles down a fire rd?  Not that I care, but the truck took more abuse than the quad did to get back there.

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »

On a last minute trip, we rode the centennial trail today.  Very nice ride and the trails were a 8 out of 10 in my book.  Very few whoops.  This trail seems easier to ride than the north trails since there are not as many blind spots to see traffic coming at you.  We parked at the TH before big scrub campgrounds a little off of powerline rd.  Is there any other TH you can access this trail without driving miles down a fire rd?  Not that I care, but the truck took more abuse than the quad did to get back there.

Glad you had a good time!  I am actually heading out tomorrow to rake the Scrub Jay loop of that trail and check for down trees, signs etc... 
There are three access THs for Centennial.  The on off of FR14 (powerline where you went), the one inside Big Scrub CG, (but you are required to pay the CG fee to park there), and one on FR09, (same as the first one only this one is just south of HWY 40 on the "gas pipeline" road).  The last one has the least amount of time spent on clay/dirt roads.  There are signs on each direction on HWY 40 stating "Centennial OHV Trailhead, next left/right" near the road turnoff.
-Kris
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »

I need to get your number Dave. I would've loved to have gone. I'm really glad to read that the trails are in good shape. With the rain we had was it brutal dusty?

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »

Rode the Scrub Jay loop, (Bottom 20mile loop of Centennial Trail), today with an ATV and rake system and my chainsaw for clearing downed trees.
Very excited to report that it did not need to put much effort into raking as this loop of the trail was pretty smooth, however I did give it a good "once-over" since I was riding it.  I also cleared about 7 obstructions from the recent storms and now the entire loop is clear and free of tree debris and such.  There is a lot of growth that has come in from the Spring season and from the rains, but the trail is very ridable and I only was touched by brush a few times during my ride.
I intend to ride the northern remaining part of the Centennial on Friday so I can make sure it is smooth and unobstructed!  I am beginning to try and clear out corners so that visiblity is good for oncoming riders since we can't go to one-way trails.
Please come out and give the trail a try if you haven't been or it has been awhile.  I am trying to create an environment that promotes fun, safe riding without the hassle of trees and roots and whoops and so on.  Lots of work to still do!  Always enjoy everyone criticism and feedback to make the trail better!!!
-Kris Clere
sugarsand007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »

WHAT ABOUT WANDERING GRASS LOOP?

2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »

kdclere

I haven't participated in any ONF discussions in a while because I guess I am still bitter regarding all the "improvements", but since you seem to be very involved I will tell you how I feel about the trail system.
  I started riding in Ocala about 8 years ago and enjoyed it enough to buy a place up there. My place is almost directly across from the trail by the pig pen. I used to spend a couple of weekends every month up there and hosted many groups rides right out of my yard.  As the new system was being implemented and closed signs were being posted EVERYWHERE, I completely lost interest in riding in the forest.  
  I will attempt to explain some of my problems with the system.  I will be honest and tell you that I am a racer and like to burn up the trails. Whoops, high banked turns, logs, ditches, hills, bumps, and jumps etc. are what I like to do.  This type of riding was much better before the new system was put in.  With that said, I understand that the forest is not a race track and I have other places to get my fix of more extreme riding.  
 The real killjoy for me was that I used to have destinations to lead group rides to.  We could ride from my place on the west side of the forest all the way to the St. Johns river east of 19. There was also several other river destinations along the Oklawaha river and of course the Rodman dam pit and the Eureka dam pit to stop and let the kids play.  Its too bad the open pit areas were closed because it was a great place to let the kids loose.  I never let my kids lead on the trails for fear of a head on collision, so they are stuck riding long dusty loops around the forest with no fun destination to go to. This is why I dont even trailer the quads to the forest anymore. I'll be up there this weekend for the 4th  but I wont be bringing the bikes.
 So if anything can be changed it would be nice to add some cool destinations. I also understand that at some point the whole system will be connected. That would be cool to be able to start at the north end and travel all the way to big scrub with places along the way to stop for fuel and drinks.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »

I started riding there about the same time and I never thought of a destination when we rode. We just got on the 4 wheelers and took off and whenever we had to put the reserve tank on was usually time to head in. They added the trail to the 88 store and kept the blue sink pond in the big scrub loop. Unless somebody wants to take a chance and open a place what is out there? I definately think there's way more trails out there that could be ridden and with 4 wheelers on them it would actually save the forestry from cutting them back. I think opening a pit back up and making an area for the sport quads would definately bring some more riders.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »

I need to get your number Dave. I would've loved to have gone. I'm really glad to read that the trails are in good shape. With the rain we had was it brutal dusty?
Sorry Donnie, My buddy called me around 8pm Saturday night and asked if I wanted to go.  We are going on vacation tomorrow and when I get back, I'm going shopping for a new quad.  I got a bug up my rear to sell my Can Am and I sold it in a week.  The trails were pretty good.  It was dusty but not bad.  I actually enjoy the ride on the new trail system except the fact of riding in fear of having a head on collision.  I have had many friends get seriously hurt at croom because of riders that blast through the trails and never look where trails cross.  I feel sorry for the smaller kids who ride the pit at croom only to get roosted by some careless rider who needs get his adrenaline pumping.  I think the ocala system is good for trail riding not MX...just my opinion.  I'll definatly get ahold of you when I get back and see if we can meet up there.

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2011, 08:59:51 AM »

On a personal level I can definitely agree with everyone that the lack of destinations and "play" areas is disheartening.  I grew up here on the Ocala National Forest and although I was not an avid rider, I did enjoy many activities that have been closed or restructured over the last decade.  My personal feeling is that the Rodman dam pit should be open.  I do not see where there will be much growth coming back due to the damage of mining the sand and dirt in the first place.  I can say that there will be more destinations when the trail systems connect (Mill Dam, Juniper, Shanty Pond, etc.), but the timeframe for the connection will be later rather than sooner.  The Centennial Trail is on two destinations (Blue Sink Water Hole and Farles Prairie-Lakes), but that does not help riders on the north end right now.  The north trails have connected to the Salt Springs Shops and the 88 Store though as they move farther south.
A quick note about the Wiregrass trail.  I have been attempting to knock down the whoops and keep the trail as clear as possible.  Hopefully the rain has helped me a little, but the past month's fire situations and critical projects have really kept me off all trails.  The Western half of the trail still needs a lot of my attention.  The powerline portion was disced with the tractor repeatedly a couple weeks ago and has been "destroyed" again by heavy truck use.  It is unfortunate that this portion of the trail shares vehicle traffic.
I will be at my Annual Training for the National Guard from July 8th thru July 24th.  I will attempt to pass on some upkeep work to another employee during that timeframe, but again no promises.  I appreciate everyone who does come out to ride and the feedback I get, positive or negative.  Some things I cannot improve upon or change, but I will try and address them as best as possible.
-Kris
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »

On a personal level I can definitely agree with everyone that the lack of destinations and "play" areas is disheartening.  I grew up here on the Ocala National Forest and although I was not an avid rider, I did enjoy many activities that have been closed or restructured over the last decade.  My personal feeling is that the Rodman dam pit should be open.  I do not see where there will be much growth coming back due to the damage of mining the sand and dirt in the first place.  I can say that there will be more destinations when the trail systems connect (Mill Dam, Juniper, Shanty Pond, etc.), but the timeframe for the connection will be later rather than sooner.  The Centennial Trail is on two destinations (Blue Sink Water Hole and Farles Prairie-Lakes), but that does not help riders on the north end right now.  The north trails have connected to the Salt Springs Shops and the 88 Store though as they move farther south.
A quick note about the Wiregrass trail.  I have been attempting to knock down the whoops and keep the trail as clear as possible.  Hopefully the rain has helped me a little, but the past month's fire situations and critical projects have really kept me off all trails.  The Western half of the trail still needs a lot of my attention.  The powerline portion was disced with the tractor repeatedly a couple weeks ago and has been "destroyed" again by heavy truck use.  It is unfortunate that this portion of the trail shares vehicle traffic.
I will be at my Annual Training for the National Guard from July 8th thru July 24th.  I will attempt to pass on some upkeep work to another employee during that timeframe, but again no promises.  I appreciate everyone who does come out to ride and the feedback I get, positive or negative.  Some things I cannot improve upon or change, but I will try and address them as best as possible.
-Kris
Hey Kris..you seem to be the only person involved in the trail system that really understands the people who actually use the trails, and while you may not be able to change the things that we feel unreasonable we do appreciate your hard work and input. Thanks

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
08Honda400EX

Dirty Foot Adventures is my favorite place to ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2011, 06:19:49 AM »

Hey got a question for you.  I'm in the preplanning stages of a ride/camping weekend at Delancy.  Is there alot of standing water on the trails?  The only time I've been up there it was bone dry but I was concerned with all this recent rain...

Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 07:40:50 AM »

Hey got a question for you.  I'm in the preplanning stages of a ride/camping weekend at Delancy.  Is there alot of standing water on the trails?  The only time I've been up there it was bone dry but I was concerned with all this recent rain...

Even with all the rain, the guy who manages the North-end trails is pretty sure that there won't be much standing water.  There are only a few spots that keep water after it has rained and he says they may be the only ones with water.  Hopefully the trail is damp enough to keep a lot of the dust down though.  Good luck and have a safe weekend.
-Kris
zephyr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:54 PM »

Kris thanks for your hard work. BIG thanks for your service in the NG. I rode the cent loop last weekend and had a great time. I know it is a never ending job  There was a tree down blocking the trail just west of the CG. but other riders have already made a ride around. I live 20 mins from Croom and with all the whoops there it is worth the drive to ONF. Getting ready to check out the northern trails tomorrow.
AGAIN A BIG THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO !!!!!!!!

pault

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »

Kris,
Whats the quickest way to access the Centenial Trail from Palatka and is their access to the Blue Sink hole to cool off with a dip. We have never ridden this trail and will give it a try next weekend.
Thanks
titoatv

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »

hi guys im new on this please i need some help i have an atv but dont find anywhere to ride it im in central florida area "orlando" can you help me where i can ride?  thanks!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com