Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF  (Read 85495 times)
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »

Thanks for the info, any idea when those two connectors will be open?

Salt Springs connector has been opened since late 2010.  It connects to the Southeast corner of the Yellow(Longleaf) Trail. 
The 88 Store Connector (88 Connector Trail) is currently being signed and should be open by the end of the week.  It connects to the Brown (Pipeline) Trail at/just west of the 316 Trail head.
-Kris
08Honda400EX

Dirty Foot Adventures is my favorite place to ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »

Yea I knew the salt springs connector was already open.  But what about the one that connects to the big scrub area?

Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

Yea I knew the salt springs connector was already open.  But what about the one that connects to the big scrub area?

The already approved trails/connectors that will systematically link the northern trail with the Big Scrub area will open periodically from north to south.  When I was last made aware of our planning phase, the connector leading to the centennial trail from the north trails would be the last due to the technicalities and legalities of crossing HWY 40.
Small trails will continue to be opened in "chunks" moving south from areas around Salt Springs and FR11.  At this time, I could not tell you which piece would be next.  When I do find out, I will attempt to let you know.
I am very excited about the idea of a "finished" trail that spans from the Big Scub area all the way to Rodman and Delancy.  The only issue is when pieces can be opened and maintained versus the amount of staff on duty to do so.  Also a drop in overall OHV use on the ONF has slowed the process down as well...so tell everyone to come out!  With more use, the ebtter chance I have to persuade those who make the final decision to move faster!  I personally manage the Centennial Trail around Big Scrub and I am trying to improve it with every chance I get!  The process is slow with the lack of personnel, but I am taking strides to make it safer and more enjoyable to every rider.  If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!  (Keep in mind that some ideas I just can't do due to legalities and such.)  Thank you!
-Kris
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »

Thanks for all you are doing and keeping us posted. I think once the trail is open more people will come out. The last time we used the bathrooms at Big Scrub it was clean as all get out. I was like this is at a campground? Once again thanks for all you do.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:06 PM »

This past weekend was my first trip to ONF for 2 days of riding.  I have to say, I was really impressed.  Being that the last 15 years I have been riding pretty much exclusivly at Croom.  Don't get me wrong, croom is a great place and we should all be lucky we still have it, but the North trails at Ocala were a great change of pace and the lack of the "croom whoops" was a nice relief.  We logged over a hundred miles in 2 days and had a blast.  We were there Fri and Sat and only saw two other riders.  I would have to say it has to be pretty dangerous on busy weekends.  I can see a lot of head on accidents with the limitted visiblity on most trails.  I have to try out the centtenial trail next time I go up.  I wish the state would wake up and have more areas like this throughout the state

2011 Can Am outlander 800R XXC
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:58 AM »

I never thought I'd like the trail system but I do. I like others wish the trails were one way but I'm thankful we have someplace to ride. I look forward to the 2 systems getting connected. I think it may get some more riders if that was done.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
I_N_3
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »

What were the trail conditions like?

KiNG QuAD 750
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »

What were the trail conditions like?

I thought they were pretty good.  The only trail that I thought was a little rough was the hog trails.  I can't imagine riding dirt bikes there with all the soft sand.  As usual as soon as the air warmed up it got very dusty

sugarsand007

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »

ARE THEY EVER GONNA GROOM WANDERING GRASS LOOP?  I KNOW IT  HASNT BEEN GROOMED IN OVER A YEAR. NOT SURE WHY I KEEP PAYING TO RIDE THERE IF THEY ARE NOT GONNA LIVE UP TO THERE END OF THE DEAL AND GROOM THE TRAILS....

2006 crf450r and 2006 polaris outlaw 500
Starbuc71

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »

ARE THEY EVER GONNA GROOM WANDERING GRASS LOOP?  I KNOW IT  HASNT BEEN GROOMED IN OVER A YEAR. NOT SURE WHY I KEEP PAYING TO RIDE THERE IF THEY ARE NOT GONNA LIVE UP TO THERE END OF THE DEAL AND GROOM THE TRAILS....

In my opinion, go ride croom for a while and pay $60 for the full year even if you only ride there once and like me, you will appreciate a change and the riding in Ocala.  I will probably rarely get up to Ocala so the $10 for 3 days is a bargin. 

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »

I responded to your message and sorry for the delay.
So everyone else knows, I will be working on the Wiregrass much more this summer as it stands now, since the Centennial trail is groomed to a standard that I can sustain.  Hopefully we will get more rain which allows my equipment to do a much better job in our dusty, soft sand that is spread all over our trails!  If anyone has any questions or concerns, I check this forum frequently and you can always shoot me a personal message as well.  Thank you for the good posts above about the trail conditions and we will continue to try and make them better!
-Kris
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »

It's been a long time since I've been to ONF. I'm planning on riding Sat. morning. Do they still have the permits at the trailheads ?
 I'm hoping a friend of mine rides also I'm trying to get him into ATVing. If not 'll go it alone.
08Honda400EX

Dirty Foot Adventures is my favorite place to ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »

I responded to your message and sorry for the delay.
So everyone else knows, I will be working on the Wiregrass much more this summer as it stands now, since the Centennial trail is groomed to a standard that I can sustain.  Hopefully we will get more rain which allows my equipment to do a much better job in our dusty, soft sand that is spread all over our trails!  If anyone has any questions or concerns, I check this forum frequently and you can always shoot me a personal message as well.  Thank you for the good posts above about the trail conditions and we will continue to try and make them better!
-Kris

Well when I was last up to the north trail system it was looking pretty good as far as trail maintance goes.  My only complaint was the Northwest side needed better marking and more grooming.  Otherwise good job!

Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »

Yes, fee envelopes are avaiable at all trailheads for 3 day riding passes. $10 for adults, $5 for kids 15 and under. 

I also just let the guy who runs the North trails know about the Northwest corner of the trail system.  He knows some of the signs are faded and some are missing.  He will begin fixing that area and spend some time grooming it as well.  He has been running our tractor on the yellow trail lately as well as spending time finishing up the 88 Connector trail that begins at the 316 Trail head! 

Thanks again for all the compliments and concrens, we want to use forums like this to help us keep our trails up and enjoyable!!!
-Kris
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »

Thanks Kris,  I'll be heading up there this weekend.
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

Road ONF today it's been quite a long time since I've been there.  I started at the trailhead on 316. I was surprised at how good the trails were. We rode 70+ miles. I had to see for myself that the connector trail went to the 88 store it does. Better yet it's not a straight boring trail it's got curves. Good job.
 I wish we could park at the store but it gets you real close.
 All I can say is both my wife and I had a great time. We don't get to ride often so it's great to have a place with so many trails. We came across only one other group of ATVers 8 of them all having fun. And we got out there before the storm front came thru. We'll be back for sure.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »

Road ONF today it's been quite a long time since I've been there.  I started at the trailhead on 316. I was surprised at how good the trails were. We rode 70+ miles. I had to see for myself that the connector trail went to the 88 store it does. Better yet it's not a straight boring trail it's got curves. Good job.
 I wish we could park at the store but it gets you real close.
 All I can say is both my wife and I had a great time. We don't get to ride often so it's great to have a place with so many trails. We came across only one other group of ATVers 8 of them all having fun. And we got out there before the storm front came thru. We'll be back for sure.

Glad to hear you had a great time!  It is quite hard to keep the trails in top condition with the amount of riders, storms and damage through misuse.  With only a handful of people consistently working on the trails' upkeep and improvement it is nice to hear of a positive weekend.  If you have any comments or suggestions  please feel free to send them our way!  The more riders you can persuade to come try out the Ocala NF, the more funds come in, the more stats we can track, and the more opportunities open for us to expand our trail system.  Again, I am very happy that your weekend was enjoyable and I hope you visit again real soon!
-Kris
powerstroke157

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »

Me and my wife have been wanting to try ONF again after years of being gone. My question is I have outlaws on my atv and I had heard a rumor that I could be fined for such aggressive tires. Is this true? Not looking for mud just some nice trail riding.
Thanks
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »

I also would like to know about the tires. Plan on riding Tate's Hell next week & wondering if i need to put stock tires back on. Haven't been able to find the info about tires on any of the web sites. I've checked ONF,Croom,Tate's HELL, nothing about about tires!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:45:43 AM by SMP63 » Logged

Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »

Just got off the phone with a ranger from Tate's Hell & according to him any style tires are allowed in the state forests. You should be ok powerstroke157. I'm not going change tires now!!

3500# winch
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
powerstroke157

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »

Good Deal! Thanks SMP63
Getting to old to deal with tickets over stupid things like tires. lol
Thanks again
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »

POWERSTROKE177 and SMP63:
This is the wording used in our Ocala OHV Map Guide:
"TIRES:
Users are encouraged to keep tread depth to a maximum of 1 inch.  This will help prevent soil displacement and reduce trail maintenance costs."

As an individual who can issue citations...this is lowest on my level of priority when enforcing rules.  My main concern is that if you have very aggressive tires that your big intent is NOT to use them to do tricks and burn outs and donuts and tear up the trail.  However, issuing citations is at the discretion of the issuing individual and I can only speak for myself, although the guys who run OHV with me feel pretty much the same.  The riders intentions go a long way with me and how I treat the individual.  If you are just out to have fun and trail ride then by all means, come on out! 
powerstroke157

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »

Thanks kdclere, glad to her from an official. Deff not there to tear any thing up, just cruise around and see the sights.
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »

Thanks Kris for the info. The ranger @ Tate's Hell should have told me the same. After reading your post i went to ONF web site & still can't find that info about tires. Have a good & safe holiday Kris & everybody!!!!

3500# winch
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »

Thanks Kris for the info. The ranger @ Tate's Hell should have told me the same. After reading your post i went to ONF web site & still can't find that info about tires. Have a good & safe holiday Kris & everybody!!!!

Tates Hell is a State Park and have different regs than ONF  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com