Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF  (Read 85444 times)
susieblazer
Supreme Member

It's WHAT the winds blowing!! Git R Dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
ONF
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »

HAVE NOT BEEN TO ONF IN A FEW YEARS (SINCE THE TOY RUN)(RODMAN RIDES)..HOW IS THE NEW TRAIL SYSTEM AND ARE ANY RIDES PLANNED THERE IN FUTURE...

2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy
susieblazer
Supreme Member

It's WHAT the winds blowing!! Git R Dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »

soooooo no body has been huh? geeze

2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy
xchief1320

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

I've been 2 or 3 times in the last few months and went in at the Rodman trailhead. The new trails are decent, but if it's hasn't rained much it can be real dusty and alot of soft sand in areas. And with the yellow trail being 2 way you have to be careful for jeeps/trucks as well as other atv's. But all in all it's pretty fun every now and then..
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »

whats the speed limit?  15 mph?

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »

I read on a few forums there was a speed limit but the rangers at the gate never said anything and I never saw any signs posting a actual limit. The only signs were right as you went into the trailhead and they only said slow,  But as you got on the yellow trail nothing else was posted.
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:04:29 AM »

I went down about 3 weeks ago. It had rained the night before and wasn't real dusty. The best thing to do is park at Rodman, Delancey or the lot of of 19 and head out to the Pipeline, Tobacco and Hog Valley Trails. The Delancey Trail sucks. It's all wooped out between Delancey and Rodman. May go this weekend.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »

Trails are in great shape I rode last weekend, whoops  are not bad at all, parked at Delancy for the day! They have been grooming the trails daily according to the polite ranger that checked us out on the trails!

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »

That's great news Chuck. The reason I suggested the Tobacco patch was all those trails had just been groomed that day. I mean we were the 1st group over them after the box blade or whatever went through there.

I'm looking forward to a ride this weekend.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »

Do ya'll actually park at the camp grounds at Lake Dalancy or right off 19 at the Dalancy loop trail head or whatever it's called?
Everytime i've went we've parked at Rodman trailhead but I want to park somewhere else next time, getting to the good trails from Rodman sucks with all the soft sand.
The parking right off 19 looks decent but is all open with no shade. Thought about going to the camp ground but doesn't it cost to park there and is down a long dirt road?

Thanks

stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »

There is another parking lot off 316 I think it is but if you don't want to go to Rodman or Delancey (yes it is down a dirt road that is bumpy) then park at the one off 19. The other one I mentioned off 316 is the trailhead for the pipeline trail. IMO the best riding is going to be the western loops.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

One of the guys that rides with us has a lowered Lightning so he can't go down real bad dirt roads. If it's decent then he can make it.
Does it cost to park at Delancy? We're in Jax so the 316 one would be way out the way.
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

Just park at the trailhead located off 19. There's usually a volunteer there with trail info.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »

We ended up riding ONF yesterday. It was very dry and dusty. Until the rains come I won't be going back.
If you go be careful of riders on the wrong side of the trails. Ran across 2 seperate groups riding on the wrong side and it almost caused accidents.

Also just to answer the question I had it does cost $6 per truck to park at Camp Delancy. We parked off 19 and it was free but if you've never been you might be better to park at Delancy. Tons of shade and it's on the yellow trail. The parking off 19 leads into the purple trail which can be confusing if you've never been. It has many loops in it so if you make a wrong turn you'll be going around in circles.

08Honda400EX

Dirty Foot Adventures is my favorite place to ride

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »

I rode there for the first time monday on the north trail system.  Nice scenery but the trails were all pretty much the same; flat sugar sand with no challenge at all, execpt making sure you don't run out of fuel.  Barely any whoops and no speed limit, although all the trails are two way and I'd be real careful on the tighter trails like the Delancy loops and the pipeline trails, which were the best of all the trails out there.  I only saw four other people on the trails all day, and two workers.  The Salt springs connector is NOT a trailhead as I thought it was.  I parked at the trailhead off of 19, although the delancy campground would be a better option.  The trailheads at rodman and off 316 were okay places too.  I purchaced my pass at Silver springs vistor center, which also had maps.  The speed limit myth is coming from the fact that the Ocala Adventure trail, aka Bicentennial trail, the one where big scrub is located.  It has a 15mph speed limit on one small section. Overall, Gald I tried it out once but it's not a place I'd make the 2.5 hour drive to go to again.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:33:10 PM by 08Honda400EX » Logged

Charlie Swartz - #890

2008 White/Black Honda TRX400EX
2011 Green Honda Recon 250TM
Reaver221

2006 Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »

My buddy and I are planning a trip to ONF in May, he's working weekends now but that changes soon.  We're thinking of camping for the weekend.  Any thoughts on that?  Is it safe enough to camp there?  If not, we can stay at my mother's house in Ocala. 

Beware of stupid people in large groups.
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »

Too try and answer many of the questions on here:

Delancy West Campground costs $6 per vehicle and you can get onto the yellow trail from both ends of the campground.  The yellow trail connects to the red, blue, purple, brown and green(motorcycle).  All other trailheads on the northern half of the Forest are free to park and unload at. (316, HWY19, Rodman, and the motorcyle TH on FR 66)
Salt Springs Connector and the soon-to-be-opened 88 Store connector are not THs but rather destination connectors.

No posted speed-limits on the northern trails or the Wiregrass trail on the southeastern part of the Forest.  However, like many have said, the width and visibility of each trail varies and riders should take caution to their speeds, surroundings and other riders traveling in either direction.

All OHV trails on the Ocala National Forest are two-way trails and suggest slower speeds.  All trails are designed for enjoyment of nature and family rides...not for difficulty, racing or speed.

The Centennial Trail that surrounds the bombing range and that is attached to Big Scrub CG in the southern-center part of the Forest does have a posted speed-limit in an effort to slow riders for everyone's safety.  Many riders still ride much faster than the 20mph signs suggest.  Riders on bikes especially due to the issues with riding in soft sand.  This is an understood problem and it is asked that all riders take caution as to their speeds, surroundings and other riders.

Camping on the forest is generally safe and no issues have been reported in recent months.  However, being that today is different in regards to the impending Gov't shutdown, check with your ranger station.  If a shutdown does happen, these trails and CGs would be shutdown as well.

any questions email me at kdclere@gmail.com
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »

However, being that today is different in regards to the impending Gov't shutdown, check with your ranger station.  If a shutdown does happen, these trails and CGs would be shutdown as well.

any questions email me at kdclere@gmail.com
Hmmm? sounds like one could ride like back in the "good ole days"!  Wink
SMP63
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »

I wasn't ridin then but it would be nice to find out what it was like!!!   Devil
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:09:06 PM by SMP63 » Logged

Green 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
3500# winch
26" Mud Trax X/L on 14" STI's
Ricochet a-arm guards
Rev. over ride kit
3 HID light kit
3 light mod.

Uni air filters on both.

Red 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.
Ricochet a-arm guards
HID 3 light kit
3 light mod.
Winch,wheels & tires still to
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »

It was a lot more fun and a whole lot safer.

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
cj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 10:49:35 PM »

It was a lot more fun and a whole lot safer.

08Honda400EX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »

What is this 88 store connector?

Charlie Swartz - #890

kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »

It is the newest part in the extension of the Northern Trail system towards the south end of the Forest.  This part of the trail will begin at the 316 Trail Head, cross CR316, and then continue about 4 miles until it reaches a corral built just in the woods from the 88 Store on FR11 (used to be FR88).  You can stop at this corral and walk up into the store for food, supplies, fuel among other things.

We should be opening this section VERY soon since I am finishing up the signs and carsonite posts for this section over the weekend.

As time progresses, we will continue to open "already-approved" trails that will eventually connect the Northern OHV Trail System with the Centennial OHV Trail System.  (These trails will span across the portion of forest in between CR314 and HWY40.
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

It is the newest part in the extension of the Northern Trail system towards the south end of the Forest.  This part of the trail will begin at the 316 Trail Head, cross CR316, and then continue about 4 miles until it reaches a corral built just in the woods from the 88 Store on FR11 (used to be FR88).  You can stop at this corral and walk up into the store for food, supplies, fuel among other things.

We should be opening this section VERY soon since I am finishing up the signs and carsonite posts for this section over the weekend.

As time progresses, we will continue to open "already-approved" trails that will eventually connect the Northern OHV Trail System with the Centennial OHV Trail System.  (These trails will span across the portion of forest in between CR314 and HWY40.
I take it that you are some how involved in the trail system, let me ask you how long you have been involved and what you think about the system they have now. I will tell you that I know it is more dangerous than before there was a designated trail system. What do you think?

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
kdclere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 03:16:31 PM »

I take it that you are some how involved in the trail system, let me ask you how long you have been involved and what you think about the system they have now. I will tell you that I know it is more dangerous than before there was a designated trail system. What do you think?
[/quote]

Yes I am involved in an "official" manner.  I have been working on the trails since April of 2008.  I understand the idea of them being more dangerous now than then based on the fact that riders were more spread out and had less chance of coming across one another.  However, in actual reports given to us, mind you a lot of incidents go unreported, the numbers were very similar in accidents in the 12 months prior to shutting down the South half of the forest as they were for the following year.  Also, I have had no accidents reported to me on the Centennial or Wiregrass Trail Systems for 2011.  I don't doubt that there have been some, but usually a percentage of those, on average, is reported.
I do think that with time and the continuous opening of new trails and connectors that the chances of multiple run-ins with other riders will decrease.  
I have lived in the Ocala National Forest all my life (1981) and have witnessed firsthand the changes that have been made in the past decades.  Some are made to stop resource damage, some are made for better management and some are made for reasons I haven't been enlightened to yet.  Trail systems like ours are in place all over the country, and in time we hope ours grows to rival some of those.  Safety is an important part of our management plan, however, you know as well as I that how fast or wreckless a person drives is solely on that individual.  We can only post signs and try to educate the public as to safe riding procedures and a trail enjoyment atmosphere versus a wide-open racing area.  Above all, my personal view is for those on the trail system to enjoy themselves and return to the Ocala, safe and sound!
-Kris
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:19:55 PM by kdclere » Logged
08Honda400EX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

Thanks for the info, any idea when those two connectors will be open?

Charlie Swartz - #890

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com