Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone reading about the Everglades Headwater Proposal?  (Read 132190 times)
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »

RRPOA General Assembly is noon tomorrow, folks.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »

Report on Vero Meeting with comments in italics:

Vero Report and comments in italics.

Feds had new tricks supported by quite a few heavy hitter enviro leaders.

Audubon's Charles Lee from their Tallahassee office was ditching FDOT for having a good road building program to provide us an efficient transportation system. Audubon considers good roads a bad thing. Heck, Audubon/Lee tried to orchestrate a meeting at his Tall. office years ago between Dpt of Interior, FDOT, and Audubon so as to change Tamiami Trail thru Big Cypress etc. into an NPS park toll road. We caught him by getting ahold of written proof and all of a sudden he was standing all alone with egg all over his sorry face. I wish we had snagged a few emails about Headwaters a few years ago and snuffed it then.
Should this bad thing go ahead Headwaters will be used as a Federal tool to fight road improvements and FORCE many panther underpasses (currently $5,000,000 each) w/miles of even foot access preventing 10 foot fences w/barbed wire for the people. We Florida taxpayers will also foot those bills plus be driving on crappier roads as gifts from the Headwaters.

Other enviros cried as usual about water quality and development fears (in our destroyed economy?) etc. No big surprises there.

The Hunting Bait
 FWC's  also spoke in strong support for the Headwaters announcing FWC's intent to work to get hunting in and what a loss it would be not to get this place for hunters along with more ?development fears? (during our 20 year economic comeback LOL). My concern that the crumb of hunting is not worth the Federal BS that would go along with it (pure misery).
In my opinion FWC and are  now trying to lure hunters in to supporting this so the Feds can come in and DO what they want. IF Headwaters goes ahead FWC will blame anything we don't like on the Feds. Just another dog and pony show like down in Big Cypress. They never seem to be able to beat the Feds for some reason - hmmmmm - maybe they don't really want to. Don't Let USFWS or their Partners Hook You like a stupid fish.

Elizabeth Fleming from Defenders of Wildlife a tough lady I know a bit was unusually meek at this meeting but I think she slipped, as she gave me hope with her speech that we are well on the way to killing this if we stick to it. As I recall she focused on asking folks to just work together on Headwaters some more rather than killing it acknowledging to me that she believed we could.. Knowing Elizabeth as I do I was stunned to hear her convey her belief that we can kill this thing. From the way she spoke and knowing how tenacious an advisary she can be I took special note of her words and demeanor. I will double chek her speech on the tapes.

Divide and Conquer
 I do have eternal faith that River Ranch folks won't fall for the false gift offered by the USFWS partners as comments in Vero by their suggestions that USFWS cut River Ranch out of the forthcoming Headwaters Land Protection Plan (LPP). River Ranch folks know better than that. Anywhere these Feds are they are a threat forever. If not now they will TAKE later. If they don't have the right rule now they will create it later (5, 10, 30 years). They actually think folks are dumb enough to believe that lie backed up by their lying and swear to it partners. This level of arrogance is what will get this thing dead sooner rather than later.

I was very impressed with Colonel Weirer's (forgive my spelling Colonel) speech. He spoke of a Nation of the people, by the people and for the people and said it directly to Charlie Pelizza.
I was lucky to have a discussion with him before the meeting. He agreed with me that this Headwaters is slap in the face to the contributions and sacrifices of our Nations military past and present. I don't know what a black beret means but he was wearing one. We are all lucky to have a gentleman such as he on board here.

Our sides speakers were real good as usual along with some that went a bit too far but sometimes the anger is just impossible to hold in and has to come out. So be it.

Those are the high points recalled w/comments in italics.
Okeemary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »

Once the Federal Government has control over the land, all bets are off & promises mean nothing. We own property at the Kissimmee Prairie (Viking) and do not want to see this any where around OUR property. Has anyone riden at Kroom? It's the only state park that allows 4 wheelers. It's also a waste land. We ride our 4 wheeler & Gator at the prairie with our Great Dane (who absolutely LIVES for the weekend-like us) and, for the most part, the other riders are pretty respectful of the land. Of course there will always be the jerks who do donuts in the drainage ditches & roads & leave their trash around. Angry . We attended the meeting in Okeechobee, which was VERY well attended, mostly by people who feel the same way we do: hunters, airboaters, off-road riders, half-tracker clubs, etc. If this happens in our neck of the woods, it will have to be a sneak attack - which I wouldn't put past the feds at all. There is plenty of wildlife still around & we are surrounded by a state park & ranches. If they have extra money in the coffers - try spending it to reduce some of our CURRENT deficit!

Funny how this proposal comes at a time when they can legally "steal" the land, as the "appraised fair market value" of property is at an all-time low. We have made many, expensive impovements to our property - fence, well, outhouse, cabin, etc. How much would they pay for those - there isn't enough money to pay what value WE place upon it!
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »

Might be time to BOYCOTT BASS PRO   since this link exposes Bass Pro supporting some of those behind the promotion of Headwater.

We all know that the Nature Conservancy mentioned in the 1st paragraph of this sites page has been a sneaky behind the scenes threat to us since day one.

http://bet.rmi.org/our-work/case-studies/commercial/bass-pro-retail-shops.html

I know, I Love the Store but it is just stupid to help a friend of those hurting our future access to our heritage.

Gladesman
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:44:54 PM by gladesman » Logged
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »

Besides, they also threaten us by selling Artic Cat ATVs! Get your stuff from Gander Mountain, Cabela's and other places.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:30:32 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »

Besides, they also threaten us by selling Artic Cat ATVs! Get your stuff from Gander Mountain, Cabela's and other places.
Cool

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 06:39:19 PM »

http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/hunt_WMAs_map-statewide.pdf

gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »

Here is a link http://www.fws.gov/southeast/planning/P ... %20LPP.pdf to a plan very similar to what the Headwaters plan coming out in a few months will look like.

It is for St Marks Wildlife Refuge expansion in N Fla.

Studying this plan will prepare us all for what is coming. Some details will change but my bet is that most of the restrictive language will be as strong or stronger.

I have seen in this plan where Air Propelled boats are prohibited.

This plan also does allude to the possibility of conservation easement lands being part of a refuge. Don't exactly understand how that works yet. They also mention that landowners with conservation easements are not allowed to modify their lands topography. That might be a problem for folks considering easements. In the long run though it is up to them.

Gladesman

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

Thanks glades, you're correct residential area easements mean it's the landowner's responsibility to maintain the land, yet, can't build on it, modify it in anyway, can't fence it in or obstruct passage and can't leave campers or vehicles parked on it, etc.. So, why should we dream that agricultural or wildlife refuge easements would be any different?

gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

How and why will a use be declared appropriate or not appropriate for Headwaters. The same way as any other refuge and that is done by USFWS and State Wildlife agencies (FWC) according to the USFWS planning document [603FW 1] at the link below. The document also mentions that the State Wildlife agency has a person on the USFWS planning team making them FWC seriously accountable to us for whatever happens beyond killing this bad idea. Our State agency already knows how we feel and apparently could care less.

Appropriate Refuge Uses Policy
603 FW 1 Appropriate Uses: http://www.fws.gov/policy/603fw1.html

Studying this will help see into the future but always remember animals, fish and plants first.

Gladesman

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »

Here's what the document says about easements; "we usually will not apply this policy to proposed public uses of wetland or grassland easement areas of the Refuge System. The rights we have acquired on these areas generally do not extend to control over such public uses except where those uses would conflict with the conditions of the easement." And, they also say, "As defined by the National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997 (Improvement Act), the six wildlife-dependent recreational uses (hunting, fishing, wildlife observation and photography, and environmental education and interpretation) are determined to be appropriate. However, the refuge manager must still determine if these uses are compatible". No mention of airboats or OHVs, boys and girls! Furthermore, the document also states, in Prohibited Uses section 50CFR 27, " Travel in or use of any motorized or other vehicles, including those used on air, water, ice, snow, is prohibited on national wildlife refuges except on designated routes of travel, as indicated by the appropriate traffic control signs or signals and in designated areas posted or delineated on maps by the refuge manager and subject to the following requirements and limitations:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a9c331ccc36d0c721786bce9691fb7ab&rgn=div8&view=text&node=50:6.0.1.2.10.3.1.1&idno=50it
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 08:32:56 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »

Here is a report on a meeting had with a Congressmen's chief of staff the other day.

Enjoy and try to take the staff chief's advice.

NWR Report regarding Meeting with Congressional Staff Chief about USFWS’s Everglades Headwaters Refuge/Conservation Area proposal.

Meeting Date: February 15, 2011

Upon entering the office a tad bit late due to unforeseen circumstances I saw and was impressed that the Chief of staff had already printed out the Headwaters Project Proposal and had it out for us to review together. We viewed the pages together as I explained the details of what has taken others much time to learn at meetings due to lack of clarity and detail within information made available to the general public.
I made attempts to focus on issues impacting as broad a portion of an elected officials constituets as possible plus explained the unavoidable losses to traditional and customary hunting and general access (airboats, buggies, ATV’s etc) to any refuge lands due to DOI/USFWS management mandates, laws and Presidential executive orders that USFWS has no options but to follow precisely.

He was also made aware that Refuge Lands would be lands purchased “Fee Simple” and “Conservation Areas” (CA) would be comprised lands retained in private ownership and encumbered with conservation easements restricting development rights inclusive of windmills as stated by USFWS’s Charlie Pelizza at an informal meeting on Feb 3, 2011 with Everglades Coordinating Council delegates. I also explained that there is still some confusion as to whether CA land could be a part of the Refuge specified.

The issue of Congressional debate being intentionally avoided by the process USFWS has chosen for Headwaters was included also as one of our discussion topics. Additionally the Vero comment by Mr Pelizza to one speaker that the “only way Congress can affect the Headwaters project is through the budget appropriations they have involvement in. This staff person went on to explain to me that his congressman can be involved in Federal appropriations and that 40 of 60 members on their appropriations committee are of a conservative (Republican) frame of mind currently. This will help and should give everyone confidence we can stop this as long as we keep up our effort and participation and stand proudly beside every elected official (and not jumping at the first good sounding compromise bone thrown out) that assists to attain our goal of No Headwaters project at all.

Simply put No Headwaters = No Compromise = No Eternal Threat

The Congressional staff chief also provided me and everyone invaluable information as to how we all can engage other Congressmen and Women who are sympathetic to our cause in this issue.

To find out who is your US Congressman simply call any of them, tell them your zip code and they will direct you to your Congressperson.

One person can attempt the following process but it may work better with more folks involved.

1st step Have 5 or 6 people who live in Congressman’s district write or call them and explain you are opposed and a few substantive/important reasons why you must oppose. One of the group needs to be well versed in the Headwaters and understand it well enough to explain at a future point to the Congressman or a person on his staff during a meeting.

2nd step Request a sit down meeting. I was able to set up mine at 11:30 am and tied it into continuing it through lunch. That got about 2 hours of time to talk. The one of the group most well versed in the Headwaters and understands it well enough to explain at a future point to the Congressman or a person on his staff should be the one to engage in this meeting. That way they can make sure to cover all the points thoroughly. More than one person may be distracting to the intense focus required to transmit all the info necessary in a short time and absorb any advice given to assist in the endeavor. Both sides of the issue (pro and con) should be explained. I did the pro side in about 15-45 seconds Pro side equaled “the Headwaters will save all plants and animals and supposedly water quality and volume of it with an unspecified promise of hunting.” Then it was on to the down side for our types and others for about an hour.

3rd Very Very Important, Congresspersons or their staff definitely WILL ask you “What do you want the Congressman to do for you”. You must be prepared ahead of time with an answer. In my case I answered by explaining that initially I would appreciate him to provide comments to USFWS on the Headwaters somewhat as I have suggested to others previously and short of outright opposition they should express serious concerns for what is happening. I qualified the request as being an initial request so as to keep the door open for other requests later as I understand more. Oh, I also strongly urged that the Congressperson do all possible to prevent funding of the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) to prevent paying for this and USFWS’s attempt to avoid Congress by using an administrative establishment process.. I learned later today that Congress can also stipulate bans on spending money for certain line items in a budget. I will also include a request to do that in a paper I have been requested for the Congressman’s review and update on Headwaters.Everyone doing all that they possibly can will get this job done OUR WAY.

Gladesman

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »

Sometimes I find myself doing this:  Bang Head
Conversation with my 85 yr old mother today while watching the news: 
ME:  "Well Mom, the government cannot supply enough funding for DFS to really check on children that are at risk, they are spending hundreds of millions to build wildlife refuges to save some scrub jays and obscure flora."
MOM:  "People need places like that to go relax and get away from stress you know."
ME: "Mom?  When was the last time, if ever, that you went to a Wildlife Refuge?  Yeah, about a zillion years ago you and Dad dragged us to Yellowstone Park.  Otherwise you hardly even walk in your own yard!  The place they want to build this refuge is where I go to RELAX and get away from stress."   
Jeeze.  The people who know nothing and think in rainbow shades are the ones they are depending on to push this through. 
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 09:35:06 PM »

And it will work if we don't keep shining the light on all the cockroaches of which there are many..
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »

FYI

Rich Andrews   Post subject: Bass pro shops and the new proposed NWRPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 pm 

Site Supporter - IV

Posts: 4770  Well, after sending emails back and forth(documented)..having 3 conversations via phone(documented),and no official response from BPS as to their support or non support of the new NWR, I am obligated to give the results of the BPS and the new NWR / TNC association.

Bass Pro Shops has teamed up with,and given lots of money to the Nature Conservency,otherwise known as TNC.The Nature Conservancy in Missouri received $100,000 from Bass Pro Shops January 27th 2011. These same people are major supporters of the new proposed NWR(headwaters). Weather or not BPS understands whom they are drinking cool aid with, I don't care. I explained perfectly clear to them how near,and dear it was to our hearts how the sportsmen of Florida felt about this newly proposed NWR.

IMO, if they support these types of groups,and don't want to get back to us as to who,what,where,when,why..........then I'll make my own assumption.

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP Huh..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »

This link http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=FL will get u to your Florida's 2 US Senators ph# and email addresses.

It don't get no easier than this.

Let's ring their phones off the wall.

Like one speaker said at 1 of the meetings - possibly anyone at home all day could call them over and over to make their lives as miserable as USFWS and their Partners are trying to make ours.

The more logs on this fire the better.

Gladesman
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

gladesman   Post subject: Re: Feds Going for Kissimmee Valley+Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm 

Site Supporter - II

Posts: 252  WE CAN WIN THIS.Folks in Alabama are fighting just as big a USFWS land grab and have backed it up 6 months.

See for yourself here http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... /101029518

Hoping the link works.

Gladesman

Rare Earth Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 11:40:28 PM »

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/AMERICAS-GREAT-OUTDOORS-Salazar-Helps-Break-Ground-on-Major-Everglades-Restoration-Project.cfm

* TATER.JPG (6.9 KB, 199x149 - viewed 422 times.)

Mud Milisha Lets Ride
Polaris Ranger 700 XP
4000 LB Gorilla Winch
UNI Air Filter
"Super Tip" clutch Weights
30" ITP Mud Lites
Dobeck Performance TFI
AMB Manuf. 2" lift
Side mount tool box
Plywood Roof LOL
Team performance clutch
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:34 AM »

If Alabamans with the help of their Senator can kick USFWS and their Cahaba River huge Refuge expansion and Conservation Area out of Alabama we can do the same favor for the Headwaters monster here in Florida

All of the Senators thoughts below fit the Headwaters perfectly.

October 25 2010
Shelby Statement on Expansion of Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) today applauded the decision by the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to reevaluate the proposed 279,000-acre expansion of the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge.

“I have consistently made clear to the FWS that the proposed acquisition is an egregious and unjustified overreach by the federal government that is unacceptable,” said Shelby. “Today’s announcement indicates that the FWS now agrees that the scope and enormity of the proposed acquisition is not only disproportionate, but also lacking any legitimate justification.”The FWS proposed a massive expansion of the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge.  The service currently is authorized to buy land in a 7,600-acre area in Bibb County and owns 3,600 acres.  The proposal would expand the acquisition area by 106,415 acres.  On an additional 173,380 acres, the service would be able to buy development rights to create conservation easements along the Cahaba River.  

On September 28, Senator Shelby met with Steve Miller, manager of the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge, and Department of the Interior officials regarding the proposed expansion of the wildlife refuge.  Senator Shelby reiterated his concerns that the FWS failed to properly solicit input from landowners and stakeholders, and has neglected to consider the effects the expansion may have on impacted parties and the local economy.

According to the Alabama Forest Owners’ Association, expansive land acquisition would cost $22.8 million in payroll contributions annually, $778,958 in state tax contributions each year, and 702 jobs.  Additionally, the federal government would be required to pay the affected counties in perpetuity for the acquired properties.  

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:55:23 PM by gladesman » Logged
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »

hey gladesman, what congressman's chief did you speak to? was it Webster? if so, I hope Pepper was hospitable to you, I've known her since she was just barely in high school.

So, in regards to getting a US congressman's attention, I've just learned that Daniel Webster is holding two public meetings this coming week;

Tuesday, February 22nd, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., at the Winter Garden City Hall, First Floor 300 West Plant Street (Map:
and,

Thursday, February 24th, 11:30 - 12:30 p.m. in the Celebration Town Hall, 851 Celebration Ave. (Map:

I wish I had the time between work and school to make it, but I might be able to finagle going on Thursday,,,,other than just walking in and yelling out "I hate federal intrusion on my fun!" I'm not really sure what to say to get his attention and maybe help with this, any helpful hints?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2011, 02:39:24 AM »

PLEASE HELP YOUR LOCAL ELECTED OFFICIALS TO UNDERSTAND HEADWATERS

PASS THE REPORT AND REQUEST BELOW ON TO COUNTY, STATE AND D.C. OFFICIALS

THEY NEED TO SEE THE REALITY OF HEADWATERS SHOWN BELOW ALONG SIDE THE SUGAR COATED VERSION THEY ARE GETTING FROM the USFWS and their STATE and ENVIRONMENTAL PARTNERS.

NWR* Citizen’s Report, Perspective and Cahaba River Refuge Expansion Comparison regarding the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), Everglades Headwaters Refuge and Conservation Area Proposal with a Request for Actions by Elected Officials.

Citizens Report
USFWS is suggesting that in order to save many species of flora and fauna, the ranching culture of Central Florida and water quality as it flows South that they intend to initially acquire 50,000 acres of Florida for a “Refuge” giving them full management authority over those lands purchased fee simple. Additionally USFWS has a goal of controlling the future development rights on 100,000 acres of private lands through conservation easements so as to create what they refer to as a “conservation area. According to USFWS’s Mr. Charlie Pelizza during the Everglades Coordinating Council (ECC) meeting on February 3, 2011 not only residential and commercial housing construction but also windmills would also be types of development prohibited by conservation easements entered into by landowners. Possibly other prohibitions could be included that were not mentioned at the ECC meeting. USFWS also claims that eminent domain will not be used and will only utilize willing sellers of land or development rights. The initial cost estimate of this 1st phase of USFWS’s and their Partner’s venture is a whopping $700,000,000 as per USFWS. This is only the 1st phase of a multi phase vision encompassing lands from S of Orlando to E of Naples Florida.

The USFWS’s project proposal document also includes convoluted language at pg 21, section XIV that when analyzed exposes a promise of Federal Wilderness review and recommendation to be applied to vast areas (5,000 acres minimum as per Wilderness Act) of any Everglades Headwaters Refuge established.

Citizens Perspective
The USFWS’s plans for Central Florida are entirely unacceptable to many of those who will be directly or indirectly impacted by them. Meetings held by USFWS with short notice during weekdays were heavily attended (e.g. Kissimmee 200+, Sebring 300, Okeechobee 700, Vero Beach 400+) with 90-95% of attendees very opposed to the concept with no trust or faith in the USFWS due to folks knowledge of Federal regulatory history in Florida and Nationwide.

Mr. Pelliza’s additional admission at the Feb 3, 2011 ECC meeting that the USFWS chose a method of establishing the Headwaters that avoided Congressional legislation and debate was very disturbing to the group of delegates gathered that night. Strategically USFWS’s decision makes perfect sense though since it isn’t conceivable that Congress would allow such an expensive and unnecessary action to take place during this particular period of the United States economic history and USFWS knows it.

Extreme concerns regarding continuation of customary traditional and recreational activities such as motorized land and water access by diverse customary and traditional means (e.g. ATV’s, ORV’s, Airboats,Mud Boats, Motorboats etc. etc.) are well founded based upon the USFWS’s land management history in Florida or Nationally. In fact Federal agencies have been known to go so far as to mitigate their own construction activities with regulatory restrictions upon recreational land access to compensate their own environmental impacts (e.g. Big Cypress National Preserve ORV Plan of 2000 pgs 129-132).

Serious local and regional negative economic impacts will very conceivably occur due to folks from as far South as Miami Dade and many other counties discontinuing customary and traditional visitation to the Headwaters area after it is established due to unavoidable prohibitions of activities they go to the area to enjoy. The economic impacts would involve cessation of purchases of items associated with multi day excursions to the area and even maintenance and parts purchases necessary for upkeep of specialized motor vehicles utilized to access remote areas that lack roads.

If this Headwaters vision is allowed to continue to fruition USFWS and their Partners will be forced to cause unending delays escalating costs of and also block necessary highway construction and/or enhancements as well as green energy projects due to endangered Species Act mandates since Panthers and other such species are specified as purposes for this USFWS project. Simply put, massive potential job creation will be thwarted or prevented by Headwaters causing incalculable economic loss to Florida and its citizens.
Why would prohibitions be unavoidable one might ask? These predicted prohibitions would be unavoidable due to Federal laws, executive orders, international treaties etc. that limit management flexibility of every Federal agency and land manager including USFWS prior to any detailed plan. These reasons for opposing the Headwaters are not figments of the imagination or misconceptions they are FACTS of life when under Federal rule.

In fact USFWS has NO choice but manage all refuges to preserve Wilderness characteristics with or without any formal Wilderness review or recommendation assured in Headwaters according to USFWS’s “ Refuge planning overview” guidance document at item 1.5 H. http://www.fws.gov/policy/602fw1.html

There is little if any doubt as to the intent of USFWS and their Partners (e.g. FEDP, FDOACS, FFWCC, The Nature Conservancy, Audubon of Florida etc.) since they are well aware of the oh so subtle but intended consequences mentioned here.

Many Floridians are already experienced with living under Federal rules that do not work any better for wildlife than for people. A prime recent example of this is Federal land managers losing track of an entire deer herd in the Stairsteps Unit of Big Cypress National Preserve after implementation of their ORV plan of 2000 even as routinely reviewed data indicated a problem existed for 5 years. This is what happens when extreme access restrictions allow an agency and do nothing (goof off) while under the impression that eliminating activities is a cure all. It might have worked in BCNP except that the draconian restrictions upon airboat access activities in the Stairsteps Unit there were never the real problem.

Cahaba River Refuge Expansion Comparison
Responding to an information request USFWS supplied a link to the Cahaba Refuge expansion plan. This Refuge is located in Central Alabama. Many issues there are identical to the Headwaters experience in Florida. Local residents were kept in the dark during years of pre planning by USFWS and their Partners as is the case in Florida. All of a sudden locals were given very short notice of meetings about the subject. USFWS according to news articles had never even directly contacted landowners within the massive Federal, targeted acquisition area.

A USFWS meeting in the tiny town of Brent, Alabama was heavily attended (500) and USFWS met with fierce opposition equal to the opposition they met in Florida. Elected officials especially Alabama’s US Senator Shelby also staunchly opposed that project as well as the USFWS methods employed.
As a result of this fierce opposition the USFWS announced via press release in October 2010 that they had decided to delay continuing the Cahaba Refuge expansion process for 6 months.

Alabama’s US Senator Shelby’s words below: October 25 2010
Shelby Statement on Expansion of Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) today applauded the decision by the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) to reevaluate the proposed 279,000-acre expansion of the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge.

“I have consistently made clear to the FWS that the proposed acquisition is an egregious and unjustified overreach by the federal government that is unacceptable,” said Shelby. “Today’s announcement indicates that the FWS now agrees that the scope and enormity of the proposed acquisition is not only disproportionate, but also lacking any legitimate justification.”

Actions requested of Elected Officials:

1 Please comment on your official letterhead to USFWS at EvergladesHeadwatersProposal@fws.gov your support for the USFWS “NO ACTION ALTERNATIVE” (NO Thank YOU), opposition and/or concerns. (Potential concerns/ reasons for opposition and Positive Aspects of No Action Alternative attached)

2 Please take all action possible to see to it that funds are not made available for USFWS to proceed with planning or acquisition for Everglades Headwaters Refuge and Conservation Area.

3 Please amend any appropriations bill with a line item prohibition so that USFWS is prevented from spending any of their funding, grants or donations upon this Everglades Headwaters Refuge and Conservation Area in any manner

gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »

Everyone please COMMENT IN WRITING SO WE AND OUR CHILDREN CAN HAVE A BETTER LIFE

Below are some positive oriented reasons for Elected folks and others (US) support the NO ACTION ALTERNATIVE

****************                        **************                         ****************

For those who are serious and comment - Here are some Positive reasons to justify elected officials or anyone including USFWS to support NO ACTION ALTERNATIVE.

NO ACTION ALTERNATIVE = the only choice for Floridians.

POSITIVE ASPECTS
OF
United States Fish and Wildlife Service
NO ACTION ALTERNATIVE
For
Everglades Headwaters Refuge and Conservation Area Proposal

1 Taxpayers will save the $700,000,000 (3/4 Billion dollar) down payment for this 1st phase of the unnecessary and unjustified USFWS vision called Everglades Headwaters Refuge and Conservation Area (EHRCA).

2 The U.S. Congress and voters will not be disenfranchised by USFWS’s decision to choose this particular process to avoid legislative debate as per USFWS’s Mr. Charlie Pelizza at the Everglades Coordinating Council meeting in Ft. Lauderdale Florida on February 3, 2011.

3 State sovereignty over hundreds of thousands of acres of Florida’s landscape will be maintained rather than relinquished to facilitate USFWS’s and their Partners vision.

4 Private property owners will no longer be threatened by known future Federal actions that will devalue and make their properties less useful for the purposes they acquired them for.

5 Counties within this project will maintain their full tax base.

6 Job creation will be greatly enhanced by USFWS and their Partners losing the ability to use EHRCA as a tool to block and escalate costs of necessary highway construction or enhancements and green energy production (wind, solar etc.)

7 Florida’s elected officials Oaths of Office will be fulfilled.

8 USFWS’s will lose the ability to fulfill their promise of Wilderness review and recommendation included in convoluted language at pg 21, section XIV of their project proposal document.

9 Continuation of Customary and traditional uses of and means of accessing remote areas of the region by visitors and residents will be assured.

10 Maintaining local rural cultures will be assured by economic conditions and cessation of speculative land purchases leading to over development feared by USFWS and their Partners.

Rare Earth Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »

I recived this from Evan Hirsche, President
National Wildlife Refuge Association
1250 Connecticut Ave., NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036

Phone: 202-292-2421
Fax: 202-292-2435
email: ehirsche@refugeassociation.org
web: www.refugeassociation.org
Twitter: @WildRefuge
Facebook: National Wildlife Refuge Association

Dear Mr. Melton,

Thank's so much for your thoughtful message concerning the proposed Everglades Headwaters National Wildlife Refuge, and please accept my apologies for the slow response.

As I think you know, the National Wildlife Refuge Association - a national non-profit organization that prides itself on working collaboratively with a diverse array of partners - from the NRA to Defenders of Wildlife - in the service of conservation is working with the Fish and Wildlife Service to make this proposal better and make it work for people like yourself.  Here's the approach we're recommending to the Fish and Wildlife Service:

* That the final Refuge proposal only include willing sellers - this would include eliminating River Ranch from the final proposal.  River Ranch is well managed for fish and wildlife and is conserved through the homeowners association so there is nothing the Fish and Wildlife Service can add to River Ranch;

* That the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission play a leadership role in the proposed refuge and that the Fish and Wildlife Service work to fund the conservation initiative and play a behind the scenes role except for managing important parcels to endangered species with little recreational value;

* That the Refuge be a small part of a larger conservation initiative and that the state, and other federal agencies such as the Department of Agriculture play equally important roles in conservation.

We also share your concerns about deficits; as we envision it, the majority of the funding will come from three sources: the Farm Bill - money already appropriated; the Land and Water Conservation Fund - monies received from off-shore oil drilling; and dollars from the sale of duck stamps (by law, 98 cents on every dollar to directly to conserving wildlife habitat). Therefore, capital cost of this proposal will not impact the deficit.

Again, I appreciate knowing your concerns about the proposal and hope this message helps answer some of your questions. And please don't hesitate to stay in touch as the process moves forward.

Best,

Evan

* TATER.JPG (6.9 KB, 199x149 - viewed 293 times.)

Mud Milisha Lets Ride
Polaris Ranger 700 XP
4000 LB Gorilla Winch
UNI Air Filter
30" ITP Mud Lites
Dobeck Performance TFI
AMB Manuf. 2" lift
Side mount tool box
Plywood Roof LOL
Team performance clutch
gladesman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »

Lag screw Evan and his Nat'l. Wildlife Refuge Association and the horse that guided him  here.

The Farm Bill funds are what were used to kick out ATV's from the Picayune Strand and threaten Collier County with eminent domain to get their 290 miles of roads. In order to get Farm Bill money for South Florida Ecosystem Restoration this State gave the Sovereignty of the Picayune Strand to the US Army Corp and USFWS. This ass Even's letter basically acknowledges Fla is up for doing it again unless WE STOP THEM which we are well on our way to doing as long as folks don't go for the damn lies in Evans letter.

Oil royalties are hidden taxes that inflate the cost of oil and subsequently gasoline. This Evans must think he is speaking to 3rd graders. Hopefully he will find out differently by the time this is over. Personally I would prefer cheaper gas than the Headwatwers any day.

There is very little land if any inside the Headwaters footprint to utilize duck stamp money as per Charlie Pelizza at the Feb 3 ECC meeting in Lauderdale. Duck Stamps don't really bring in the kind of money Headwaters needs anyway.

It is nice to be alerted by Evan that FWC will take a lead role so as to fool US into believing that they are in charge. Federal laws have already proven that not to be possible in other areas of Fla. FWC will not be anything more than the dog or poney in a dog and poney show to fool us. These 2 scam experts USFWS and FWC have one problem on this project-Many of us have been here before and will NOT be fooled by their lies again. I am one for sure that will hound them as long as I can until they all go away from the Headwaters.  Oh, FWC is going to run things - what are we supposed to do cheer over that??  Any authority less than 100% is useless and merely a scam many of us have seen before.

Hopefully nobody in Remuda Ranch will fall for Evan's flattery over how they manage River Ranch and that USFWS thinks that is good enough. Folks, USFWS staff probably pukes at the sight of an ATV or buggy unless it is theirs on their property.

What the hell has already appropriated got to do with how my taxes are used to fund Headwaters.

Bottom line I see in this strategy Evan has explained being developed by USFWS, FWC and their partners is that they will ask for our support up front with a bunch of promises they know they cannot fulfill. Then when it comes time to fulfill the promises FWC will say  - "Oh we didn't know we don't have the authority to do that Sorry Folks."[/i][/u]

Evan, Thanks for the heads up to future BS.
Rare Earth Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »

Gladesman, I new it was a bunch of crap for sure. But I new you would want to see it. Wink

* TATER.JPG (6.9 KB, 199x149 - viewed 293 times.)

Mud Milisha Lets Ride
Polaris Ranger 700 XP
4000 LB Gorilla Winch
UNI Air Filter
30" ITP Mud Lites
Dobeck Performance TFI
AMB Manuf. 2" lift
Side mount tool box
Plywood Roof LOL
Team performance clutch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up