Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone reading about the Everglades Headwater Proposal?  (Read 132145 times)
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »

This is the latest email from FWC. 
Suburban Estates and RR could go the way of Big Cypress.

From: Cheri_Ehrhardt@fws.gov [mailto:Cheri_Ehrhardt@fws.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:01 PM
To: EvergladesHeadwatersProposal@fws.gov
Subject: Public Meeting Notice: Public Scoping Meetings Scheduled for the Proposed
Everglades Headwaters National Wildlife Refuge and Conservation Area - Comments
Requested by February 28, 2011

New National Wildlife Refuge Proposed in Florida:
Public Scoping Meetings Announced to Discuss the Proposed Everglades Headwaters
National Wildlife Refuge and Conservation Area

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) and a variety of public and private
partners are advancing a collaborative approach to address landscape-scale land
protection efforts to conserve wildlife and habitat in the greater Everglades
landscape. This partnership is the Greater Everglades Partnership Initiative
(Initiative).

“This initiative is aimed at preserving a rural working ranch landscape to protect
and restore one of the great grassland and savanna landscapes of eastern North
America. The partnerships being formed would protect and improve water quality north
of Lake Okeechobee, restore wetlands, and connect existing conservation lands and
important wildlife corridors to support the Everglades restoration effort." - U.S.
Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar

This partnership initiative would help conserve a rural working ranch landscape;
protect and restore habitat; protect, improve, and restore water quality and
wetlands benefiting residents and visitors in South Florida; and connect a matrix of
existing conservation lands and important wildlife corridors, supporting Everglades
restoration efforts. Three study areas have been defined within the greater
Everglades landscape: (1) the Everglades headwaters area, (2) the Fisheating Creek
area, and (3) the area around Florida Panther NWR and the Caloosahatchee River. The
Service is currently focused on the first study area.

Proposed Everglades Headwaters National Wildlife Refuge and Conservation Area
The proposed Everglades Headwaters National Wildlife Refuge and Conservation Area is
a proposed land conservation partnership between federal, Tribal, State, and local
governments; ranchers and other landowners; non-governmental conservation
organizations; area residents; and other stakeholders to protect, restore, and
conserve approximately 150,000+ acres of environmentally important natural habitat
and associated wildlife in portions of Polk, Osceola, Indian River, Okeechobee, and
Highlands counties in Central Florida, within a larger 4.5 million-acre landscape
that extends from the southern outskirts of the Orlando metro area south through the
Kissimmee River Valley to Lake Okeechobee, and southwest to Florida Panther National
Wildlife Refuge and Big Cypress Preserve.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and partners would work with willing landowners
to establish the proposed 150,000-acre Everglades Headwaters National Wildlife
Refuge and Conservation Area through several methods, including already-established
conservation lands, fee simple purchases, conservation easements, leases,
conservation and mitigation banks, lands set aside through habitat conservation
plans, and/or cooperative agreements with landowners. The planning target is to work
with partners and willing landowners to conserve approximately 50,000 acres in fee
title acquisitions and 100,000 acres in less than fee title. The Service’s policy is
to work with willing landowners.

Four Public Scoping Meetings Scheduled
Four public scoping meetings have been scheduled in the area of the proposal to
provide the public the opportunity to hear a presentation about the proposal and to
ask questions and submit comments, ideas, and concerns. We invite all interested
individuals, organizations, businesses, and agencies to join us at one or more of
these meetings. Comments may also be submitted by email, mail, or fax (see the How
to Submit Comments section below).

Date

Meeting Location

Address

Wednesday
6:00-9:00 pm

Kissimmee Civic Center

201 East Dakin Ave
Kissimmee, FL 34741

Friday

Sebring Civic Center

355 West Center Ave
Sebring, FL 33870

Wednesday

Okeechobee High School

2800 Hwy 441 N
Okeechobee, FL 34972

Thursday

Vero Beach High School
Main Campus Cafeteria

1707 16th St
Vero Beach, FL 32960

What is the Schedule for the Proposal?
We are in the early stages of the project and are requesting input from the public.
After this public scoping phase, we will use the comments gathered to help us
develop a Land Protection Plan and associated National Environmental Policy (NEPA)
document. We will then return to the public to request comments on the document and
the more detailed proposal. Four main planning phases are outlined for this
proposal, as listed.

Planning Phase

Estimated Dates

Conduct Public Scoping Meetings

January-February 2011

Develop Draft Land Protection Plan and NEPA Document

March-May 2011

Request Public Review and Comment on Proposal

June 2011

Develop Final Plan

August-September 2011

How to Get More Information?
For more information on this proposal and to view a map of the study area, please
visit: http://www.fws.gov/southeast/greatereverglades/.

For more information on the Greater Everglades Partnership Initiative and to view a
map of all three study areas, please see the Fact Sheet at:
http://www.fws.gov/southeast/greatereverglades/pdf/GreaterEvergladesFactsheet.pdf.

To view the recent press release from earlier this month, please visit:
http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/Salazar-Announces-Initiative-to-Conserve-Working-Lands-and-Wildlife-Habitat-in-the-Everglades-Headwaters.cfm.

To get on the mailing list for the proposed Everglades Headwaters NWRCA, please fill
out and scan/email back or mail in this form:
http://www.fws.gov/southeast/greatereverglades/pdf/MailingListRequest.pdf.

How to Submit Comments?
To comment on the proposal,

please send email to: EvergladesHeadwatersProposal@fws.gov;
please send mail to: Everglades Headwaters Proposal, PO Box 2683, Titusville, FL
32781-2683;
please fax to: 321.861.1276; and/or
please attend one of the public scoping meetings.

We request that scoping comments be received by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
by February 28, 2011 to ensure their consideration in the development of the Land
Protection Plan and NEPA document that will outline the detailed proposal.

million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System, which encompasses the more than 550
management units, thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas. It
also operates 37 wetland management districts, 70 national fish hatcheries, 65
fishery resource offices, and 81 ecological services field stations. The agency
enforces federal wildlife laws, administers the Endangered Species Act, manages
migratory bird populations, restores nationally significant fisheries, conserves and
restores wildlife habitat such as wetlands, and helps foreign governments with their
conservation efforts. It also oversees the Federal Aid program that distributes
hundreds of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to
state fish and wildlife agencies.
Cheri M Ehrhardt, AICP
Natural Resource Planner

US Fish & Wildlife Service
PO Box 2683
Titusville, FL 32781-2683

Cheri_Ehrhardt@fws.gov
321.861.2368 office
321.593.2516 cell
321.861.8913 fax

_____ 

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1191 / Virus Database: 1435/3390 - Release Date: 01/19/11

AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »

Don't know what else to say that will inspire ATVers to be more-involved and be MUCH more-custodial to the environment we ALL enjoy. There's way too many folks at RR who feel they've a right to be totally-irresponsible out there. Can't tell you how many knuckle-draggers without flags have nearly killed me, trash, DUI, etc.. Let's hope that when it eventually happens, RR will only be like Big Cypress and not much worse(OHVs totally banned).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:30:04 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »

As the folks in Big Cypress found out....this affects more than just ATVers. 
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »

You bet! That's why I referred to OHVs. Street-legal 4x4s(JEEPs, trucks, etc.) won't be allowed in most areas, if at all. Buggies will have to comply with tighter environmental regulations, if allowed at all. All vehicles must stay only on designated trails, 15mph speed limit, etc.. And, after they buy up the land for pennies on the dollar, they'll close those areas and it'll take them years to sort out all of the new rules before reopening to OHVs, regardless.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:52:36 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »

and just wait when a hunter takes down a large animal and has to tote it out by brute strength, because no airboats or the above.

I am all for saving animals, but most hunters that I know understand that they are stewards of the land they hunt and work to keep it for the wildlife.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »

http://www.refugewatch.org/2011/01/07/salazar-announces-proposal-for-new-everglades-headwaters-nwr/

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »

I really don't think anyone will have anything to worry about at all if this becomes a reality. Which, I'm confident it will.

The reason I say there's nothing to worry about is because what they're proposing (and have been for around 7 years now) is the creation of a refuge and conservation area. This is an important distinction. Why? Because it means that as a refuge and conservation area, it will be subject to extremely rigid restrictions. Moreover, it's part of a key watershed area for a national park and preserve. In other words, I doubt very seriously that any OHV use will be permitted within this area once the transformation is complete.

Keep in mind, the Big Cypress is a National Preserve and not a park. Thanks only to the efforts of the sportsmen within the Big Cypress (the OHV/ATV community has done very little to nothing), we can still enjoy OHV use within the preserve. Moreover, other national lands (such as forests) have designating language that permits use of OHV's in certain instances. Make it a park, a refuge or conservation area governed by the federal government and you'll most certainly see a total ban on OHV use.

This plan has been in creation for years. The Florida watershed protection "plan" is nothing new. Eventually, RR will be the same. And all of those folks with camps on property that's legally not theirs will be gone. If your camp is on your legally defined property and your camp is 100% up to code, you might be able to keep it. However, use of the remaining property (that they never had legal right to use anyway) will be limited at best. When will this happen? Not sure. But, I'd imagine within the next 15 years.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »

I agree that is would be fighting a losing battle, but it is a battle I chose to fight. 
Yes, it will not happen in a time frame that will affect MY use of the property, but it is a battle I chose to fight.

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »

Im for this plan and conseration,and preservation over developement IF a designated area for atv use IS DESIGNATED!!!!!!   but if you have NO area at all like South Florida this and any plan will be a failure and a waist of money!!!!!!!    Why has there been no plan for a safe,managed area for recreational use for atv's and dirtbikes?  this would draw people away from areas being conserved for preservation and relieve the already stressed police forces trying to protect these VERY areas!!!!!!!      If you outlaw atv's and dirtbikes ONLY OUTLAWS WILL OWN AND USE THEM!!!!!!!     THIS IS A FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED LEGAL RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY!!!            this is not a crime!!!!!!!!!             its a family building activity and a way of life for millions accross the country and the world!!!!!!!      to many people have been exposed and subjected to improper,unsafe,unmanaged,areas that exist because of a lack of or in the case of South Florida NON_EXISTENCE and therefore they think and have a misperception of the activity. There is a way this works and many places are successful and sustainable that are designated throughout the country.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:05:42 PM by zman03 » Logged

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »

Yeah well, good luck trying to present a "good image" with the ATV riders in south east Florida.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »

Yeah well, good luck trying to present a "good image" with the ATV riders in south east Florida.

I am going to agree with Anoriginal on this one.  You cannot go up against this type of thing blustering and spouting off.  You have to research, you have to learn and you have to use the patience of a saint.

Yep, we have gotten a pretty bad deal, but there is a lot of the bad image out there because the 10% of bad ATVers love to post "tearing it up" and giving these people video proof of what they need to win.  Sad.  The rest of us lose out due to this. 
rdm225

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »

“The Everglades plan announced today is an important initiative that will protect Florida’s ranching way of life, help provide safe drinking water to millions of Floridians and conserve our nation’s remarkable wildlife heritage,” said Evan Hirsche, President of the National Wildlife Refuge Association (NWRA). “This initiative serves as a vibrant model for how we can achieve conservation results that benefit wildlife and people across the nation.”

The Greater Everglades Partnership Initiative will:

■Conserve biodiversity in areas that provide habitat to threatened and endangered species like Florida panthers, crested caracara and the Everglades snail kite;
■Protect a land base of sufficient mass and continuity to enable wildlife to migrate and adapt in response to climate change and other natural and man-made threats;
■Restore and protect water quality and quantity; and
■Prevent further landscape fragmentation by integrating the economic interests of private landowners with the best conservation practices to support traditional large-ownership land uses such as ranching and environmental
THIS SOUNDS LIKE LIBERAL B.S. what a waste of money
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

I wouldn't call it a waste of money. It's designed to protect a watershed area while preserving a way of life, cultural heritage and protecting wildlife in environmentally sensitive areas.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:47:07 PM »

more land for big sugar and the agricultural industry (big citrus) to filter water and dump millions of tons of contaminants like (phosphorus,sulfur,fertilizers,herbicides,pesticides) from their rancher way of life. Oh and they get to do it on an ATV,UTV,heck I guess even a dirtbike if you think about it. legally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Who are the outlaws? and who are the criminals?       you tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:14 PM »

It's already happening in SE.  I don't recall the name of the landowner but there was a significant part of SE (which we didn't have access to anyways), right in the middle, that had been converted to a wetland area, at least the process was in motion the last time I was out there.  Haven't been back to SE since I purchased my RR land.  As I understood it, the northern half of SE would ultimately be cut-off north of the swimming hole and eventually, anything west of the powerlines.  Sucks because I have a very nice and dry 5 acres about half a mile from the drunk tree.  Anybody want to buy it?   Wink  I never put a camp out there because vandalism is rampant and there's no organized POA to speak of.  There's SEPA, but not enough organization or cooperation from the majority of landowners; just a very small group of dedicated people.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »

more land for big sugar and the agricultural industry (big citrus) to filter water and dump millions of tons of contaminants like (phosphorus,sulfur,fertilizers,herbicides,pesticides) from their rancher way of life. Oh and they get to do it on an ATV,UTV,heck I guess even a dirtbike if you think about it. legally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Who are the outlaws? and who are the criminals?       you tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agriculture is pretty important you know.  It does feed you.  If you want to buy the evioronmentalist view point, you have to buy the whole deal.  Farmers know that chemical usage needs to be kept low.  Heck, it costs too much to overuse.  Plus there are the government rules and regulations along with precise record keeping.  A farmner or rancher has to consider sustainablity and profit.   Now think about some of these homeowners.  They get the idea if they use double the amount they will get double the result.  Then you have the golf courses.  Talk about overkill on chemicals!  At least the farmer and rancher feed us, not just provide a playground to knock a ball in a hole.

Listen and learn before you speak.

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »

renmus, great post.

Let's not forget that the landowners, ranchers and farmers who join into this conservation area will likely receive incentives in some form (tax, etc.) but, be subject to greater restrictions as a result thereof. This further ensures a cleaner, sustainable watershed.

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »

yea right!!!!!!!! Cheesy what a bunch of bull  the big agriculture companies have dumped their pollutants for decades in the watershed and have caused massive algae blums in the everglades for countless years        what are you a lobbyist now for them or something?

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »

No, not a lobbyist.  Just someone who bothered to read and understand.  Try it sometime.
Oh, and I did work for a major agricultural concern for 25 years.  Guess what?  I had to keep records of every drop of chemical placed on any part of the land.  It is not done indescriminately and freely. 
Learn to appreciate the farmer/rancher.  He/She feeds you.  You are welcome.
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »

yea right!!!!!!!! Cheesy what a bunch of bull  the big agriculture companies have dumped their pollutants for decades in the watershed and have caused massive algae blums in the everglades for countless years        what are you a lobbyist now for them or something?

If I might ask one thing of you....if given the opportunity, please do not speak on behalf of the ATV community to the general public. Pretty please?

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »

yea right!!!!!!!! Cheesy what a bunch of bull  the big agriculture companies have dumped their pollutants for decades in the watershed and have caused massive algae blums in the everglades for countless years        what are you a lobbyist now for them or something?

If I might ask one thing of you....if given the opportunity, please do not speak on behalf of the ATV community to the general public. Pretty please?

X2

Worst part of this is that I am agreeing with Anoriginal.  I look to the old paraprosdokian:  If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Scary, huh?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:47:12 PM by renmus » Logged
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »

I'd say us taxpayers appreciate farmers. http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-04/most-u-s-farm-subsidies-go-to-10-of-recipients-group-says.html . And, in the same way, we also appreciate the gauntlet of environmental and law-enforcement agencies which help protect and make our environment safe for us all to enjoy. But, by no means does paying taxes buy the right to recklessly destroy public lands.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:06:16 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »

YOUR ON THE WRONG WEBSITE!!!!!!!!        TREEHUGGER!!!!!!

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

Huh

Basically the topic on this posting is about FWC and loss of more riding areas.  Can we get back to that without foolishness?
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »

Matt, what's your opinion on the difference between a wildlife preserve and a wildlife refuge? Since there are wildlife preserves containing private landowners, is there any chance of that occurring in the Headwater Proposal? Will the number of private landowners in the Headwater Proposed area be irrelevant? Will those owners be paid appraissed value(very low zoned agricultural) or market value? Will landowners be required to incur the cost for removing trailers, structures, septic systems, etc.? If so, will there be arsons? Will it simply go down like The Squares/Picayune Strand did a few years ago(everybody out now)? Would it matter if RRPOA implemented a designated trail system, now? I'm not trying to spread panic, just don't want folks waiting and wondering what happened to them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:57:52 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com