Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Closest place to ride coming from key west  (Read 12437 times)
Dirt2water

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

I just bought a predator 500 and want to start riding regularly (coming from key west) but don't know where to go... I heard cardsound road might be good but don't know exactly where the trails are or where to park. I'd also like to ride in some parks, and was wondering what I had to do to get the quad ready (registration, permits, etc.). If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »

Wish I could help you I am up around the Tampa area and we have places to ride one o the best is Croom, its a state park.

Damn, Key West you should have went with water sports!

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »

I've never ridden there and I'm certain it's not public land meant for riding, but I have heard that there are some areas in Big Pine that people ride.  Even if that's the case, I doubt a Predator 500 would do well anywhere south of Tamiami Trail.  Should have bought a 4x4 or stuck with a jet ski (even though they are about as popular as ATVs in the Keys anymore - and for the same reasons).

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Dirt2water

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »

I'm sick of watersports! I drive a parasail boat for a living and the last place I want to be on my days off is on the water. Thanks for the reply
Baileygunns

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »

Your best bet is probably Cuba... My guess is they're a little more liberal on ATV riding then Florida, lol!!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:25:20 AM by Baileygunns » Logged
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »

Your best bet is probably Cuba... My guess is they're a little more liberal on ATV riding then Florida, lol!!!

Hey Dirt2water if you do go down south to the land of Fidel can you bring back a few cigars! Devil

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
I_N_3
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »

Try "The Hump" in Florida City. It's right off of Cardsound Road. There are several threads in this section that refer to this place. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:35:29 PM by I_N_3 » Logged

KiNG QuAD 750
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »

The hump has some nasty, grey,silty, slick,marl type mud. looks like 50 years of run off from the farm fields. You gotta kinda like gettin just absolutely nasty dirty to like the hump. and I hope you got a good pressure cleaner.

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
I_N_3
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »

Youtube has a couple videos if you wanna see it. Zman says in Miami there is a spot on SW 8th street and SW 137 ave which would probably be better for your kinda machine. See the thread that's labeled 'Any place to ride by Rinker...' for more info.

KiNG QuAD 750
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »

Youtube has a couple videos if you wanna see it. Zman says in Miami there is a spot on SW 8th street and SW 137 ave which would probably be better for your kinda machine. See the thread that's labeled 'Any place to ride by Rinker...' for more info.

That's the area I was referring to when I said south of Tamiami Trail.  But, that area has been off-limits for a couple years now.  FWC, M-D and others patrol that area and the fines are steep when caught.  People still ride there but you never know when the hammer is going to drop on you. 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
I_N_3
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »

To clarify. The area Diggin is referring to is not 'The Hump' so don't be discouraged when he mentions it being patrolled. He is referring to the other place I suggested on 137ave and 8street. But I think Diggin is thinking about another place close to 8th street which is 157 ave and Bird. This area is on lock down but accorinding to zman 137ave and 8th is ok to ride.  Again see the thread named "Places by Rinker" for more info.

KiNG QuAD 750
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

Yes, you are right.  The area I was referring to is between 157th and Krome, south of 8 st.  I was thinking 137th was the eastern edge. 

RiDiNdIrTy430

RiDiN = stress FREE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »

a good spot is 8st and 137st.. its not that big but you could ride there.. well i have been there a couples of times and no cops so far.. or the the humps in florida city is good too but you dont have to go to the nasty muddy side..

QUADSALLDAY!!!
cheese

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

Dirt i'm originally from KW so I know your predicament. If you're dying to ride you could go as close as the south side of sugarloaf where the old bridge is on old sugarloaf rd. not many trails tho & youll run into FWC at some point. As far a legal places to ride, that's pretty tough. My in- laws still live in KW so to ride we usually meet at dirty foot in ft Meade, which is about 5.5 hrs from KW.  Next time we're going to try L-cross so they dont have to drive as far.   Too bad you have to drive at all because back in the day we had an awesome track at army hill on the backside of KW airport - we would ride dirt bikes all the time and were never bothered once!
I_N_3
Contributing Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »

Here is a map.

KiNG QuAD 750
bigAl300ex

Ridin' hard and gettin' dirty!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

Here's an idea: You back up that parasailing boat to the docks, ride your ATV right onto the boat platform, haul but to the Dry Tortugas, land on the beach side of the island and go four-wheeling all around Fort Jefferson while waiving at the tourists and tour guides. When you get arrested (most definitely) by the Park Rangers, put up a"defense" that as a federal tax payer you thought it was ok to ride in any National Park! You'll probably lose your job but definitely make headlines on many papers and news networks. Also, I'm almost certain that you will make history by being the first person to accomplish this. Once you finish your prison term you can move to South, Central, or North Florida to look for a new job and places to LEGALLY ride. Plus you will always be the life of the party with that crazy ATV story!!! Toast Laugh
speedman8903
Supreme Member

BURN RUBBER NOT YOUR SOUL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

whats up with people on this site now and days? someone ask a question and everyone has someting smart to say.

05 brute sold

08 brute
10' CATVOS lift
29.5 w/itp ss212 all blk
mimb snorkles
epi clutch kit
rilla rad relocated
and much more!!!
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

It's me.  It's all my fault.  Just ask Rob.   Grin

speedman8903
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 10:13:50 PM »

It's me.  It's all my fault.  Just ask Rob.   Grin

im not pointing fingers, i know its funny to say some smart remarks but damn the whole thread almost, like bigal300ex said thats messed up the guy bought a atv be happy he supporting our sport, and anyway if we went to cuba with atvs they look at us all crazy theyve never seen one, im cuban and when my cousin came from cuba she was like wth is that lol

05 brute sold

08 brute
10' CATVOS lift
29.5 w/itp ss212 all blk
mimb snorkles
epi clutch kit
rilla rad relocated
and much more!!!
Baileygunns

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »

Face facts Dude... Florida SUCKS for ATV riding.

Anyone who argues that has never lived in a state where riding is accepted and encouraged.

bigAl300ex

Ridin' hard and gettin' dirty!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »

Relax Speedman, I didn't know your "sensitivity" level was so high. Dirt2Rider was given a bunch of informative replies on this post about places to ride. You make a little joke and you get bent out of shape. Nobody is knocking Rider for owning a quad or not supporting our sport. I too live in Miami and many times have driven 4 t0 7 hours to go riding. I've also taken my quads to TN, NC, and GA to go riding and you can't compare the opportunities for riding. Baileygunns had a big point. It sucks about the reality of Florida but it's all we got. Don't be sensitive b/c sometimes we make a few jokes on this thread to lighten up the riding situation. No hard feelings!  Grin
speedman8903
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »

Relax Speedman, I didn't know your "sensitivity" level was so high. Dirt2Rider was given a bunch of informative replies on this post about places to ride. You make a little joke and you get bent out of shape. Nobody is knocking Rider for owning a quad or not supporting our sport. I too live in Miami and many times have driven 4 t0 7 hours to go riding. I've also taken my quads to TN, NC, and GA to go riding and you can't compare the opportunities for riding. Baileygunns had a big point. It sucks about the reality of Florida but it's all we got. Don't be sensitive b/c sometimes we make a few jokes on this thread to lighten up the riding situation. No hard feelings!  Grin

i feel you man everytime i ride i drive 2 hours north

05 brute sold

08 brute
10' CATVOS lift
29.5 w/itp ss212 all blk
mimb snorkles
epi clutch kit
rilla rad relocated
and much more!!!
Juande

View Profile

Ignore