Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever go out to Rodman anymore?  (Read 9432 times)
xchief1320

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »

I was out riding the motorcycle yesterday and stopped by Rodman just to see what it looked like. It's been years since riding out there, I know the pit is closed but are the trails worth it anymore? Seems everything i've read online about it says it sucks due to the rangers being strict. Hate to drive from Jax if it's gonna be a waste of time.

xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

So I guess it does suck..
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »

I haven't been there in at least a year. There is a trail head there and the trails all hookup to the others that run west and south. Is it worth it to go just to the Rodman trail head? IDK, there's a nice lake to look at near the trail head as you come in, but probably not since the pit area is long closed. Is it worth it to come down, pick a trail head on the map and ride the other trails? Absolutely. The Hog Valley area is fun, too.

It took some digging, but I found a map.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5192614.pdf

Oh yeah, you could also camp at one of the camping areas or stay at eliteresorts.com and trailer your ATV back and forth. Either way, it's worth the trip.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:57:46 PM by mrbones » Logged

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »

Thanks. Yeah if we go we'll park at the rodman trailhead and ride back onto the other trails. Just worried about the rangers if they are anywhere near as bad as some say they are now. I'm totally legal and carry all the required papers and green sticker, but still if they are out for blood that stuff won't stop them from finding something on you.

Last time I was there it had been raining earlier that day and we rode through some light mud on the trail where water had crossed it and when we went back to the truck a ranger was there and gave us hell saying we were mudding and he could write us a ticket. I gladly agreed to show him exactly where we hit the mud at but he declined to follow us and said next time go around it. Even though that ment going off the trail..

Not all are bad but it just takes one i guess...

Thanks again.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »

There is no way I would drive from Jax. to go to Rodman when the Motoplex would be about the same distance and a LOT more fun.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »

There is no way I would drive from Jax. to go to Rodman when the Motoplex would be about the same distance and a LOT more fun.

I second the Plex then you do not have to worry about having mud on your wheels, just don't get any on Paul he may  have to take a shower!

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

That's true. No Rangers at the Motoplex. I was just offering up some options.

The last time I was at the Rodman area I saw no Rangers at all. So I guess you never know.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »

I've been to Motoplex a few times and had a blast. Just seeing what else is out there I haven't been to in a while..

thanks for the info..
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »

Division of forestry is $254,000. dollars in the red and is spending the little bit of $$$ they have on whitting field?  why???  the panhandle only represents 7% of all the registered vehicles in the state.   S.Fla. has 26% of all the registered vehicles in the state and has NOT A SINGLE PLACE TO RIDE LEGALLY!!! Cry   We should recall the division of forestry as the agency that manages the funds from our registration fees!!!   Now where are all the funds going from the fees charged at CROOM?Huh  and OCALA???    sounds pretty fishy to me!!!!

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »

The Croom fees I have been told help other Florida parks out that are in the red,  Croom is one of the few state parks that actually brings in more that is spent on up keep.   So its like Oboma's, Palosi and Reed's federal government redistribution of wealth policy. Bonk  Robb from the quad and bike people and give to the poor! Sofa Peeky

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

Your right!!!    cause they dont upkeep CROOM!!!!!   so no $$$  is needed Cry  DOF is the wrong agency to handle our $$$     

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »

South Florida used to have several legal areas to ride. However, the idiots that used them improperly, got them closed to everyone. Why waste money opening a place to ride, only to have it abused by those who use it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:59:45 AM by Anoriginal » Logged

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

that is a bunch of crap!!!    no idiot can shut down any area Embarrassed  all the areas that were closed, were certainly no because of any one or several individuals.  these areas (holylands) were closed because of the SFWMD.  NOT BECAUSE OF ANY ATV'ers.   get your facts straight!!!    and there has NEVER been an area specifially designated in DADE county for atv's     

xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »

Going tomorrow morning to try it out.
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »

that is a bunch of crap!!!    no idiot can shut down any area Embarrassed  all the areas that were closed, were certainly no because of any one or several individuals.  these areas (holylands) were closed because of the SFWMD.  NOT BECAUSE OF ANY ATV'ers.   get your facts straight!!!    and there has NEVER been an area specifially designated in DADE county for atv's    

Actually, you're totally wrong. The Holylands were open to ATV use for years and years. The rules and regulations in place specifically provided for it.

The idiots on ATV's got the placed closed to ATV's. I know. I was at the meetings. Several other members on this site were there too. SFWMD had very little, to nothing, to do with the ATV restrictions. Stupidity, trespassing, vandalism, litter and destruction were the root cause.

So, it's you who (as usual) doesn't have his facts straight. And, if you think for one minute a bunch of idiots can't get a place closed off to riding, you're even dumber than I thought. It happens all the time. There's a reason there's no place to ride legally in South Florida.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:41:56 PM by Anoriginal » Logged

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:56 AM »

so tell us all the reasons (you) think there is no where to legally ride in S.Fla. since (you) seem to have all the facts. I have been to lots of meetings also and at NO meeting I have been to has anyone said its because of the idiots, tresspassers, or littering.  I welcome your information and would listen to anyone that has  facts and information.  lastly knowing the facts you know ,dont you think that a managed atv site would reduce or eliminate the problems your claiming are the reasons for the closures?

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »

I simply said the Holylands were closed due to idiots. That's the truth.
BICY is having trouble with the ATV crowd these days and Corbett recently went to tougher restrictions due to ATV issues.
This isn't rocket science.
South Florida doesn't have any legal place to ride because the ATV crowd is too unorganized and not well spoken enough to secure any place to ride.
You want a place to ride? Get a well spoken, well appearing and organized group together with decent funding behind it and start making waves with the State and Fed. Join in with the Blue Ribbon Coalition and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
None of us have a "right" to ride. It's a "privilege" when available and nothing more.

renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

None of us have a "right" to ride. It's a "privilege" when available and nothing more.

Exactly!
xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »

Since this post was supposed to be about the Rodman trail head before it got derailed Cheesy

Went there today and rode for 5-6 hours. It was dusty and some roads were whooped but all in all it was fun. We did the complete Yellow and Blue trail and one other but don't remember what color it was.

The rangers were sitting at the start of the trail head by the pay drop box but were cool.
Once it rains some i'll go back.

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:59 AM »

Since this post was supposed to be about the Rodman trail head before it got derailed Cheesy

Went there today and rode for 5-6 hours. It was dusty and some roads were whooped but all in all it was fun. We did the complete Yellow and Blue trail and one other but don't remember what color it was.

The rangers were sitting at the start of the trail head by the pay drop box but were cool.
Once it rains some i'll go back.

Sorry about taking your thread off track. I am glad you went riding and had a good time.  Thumbs Up

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

are all the trails now 15mph?  since they started fixing the trails, I have been told the trails were signed, and are 15mph  is rodman the same?

xchief1320

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »

I saw no speed signs. The ranger told me the back of the yellow trail is good trail for going fast. As you enter the trailhead it says idle speed, But after that nothing.. So if it's 15 mph it's not posted very well.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »

thanks for the info!!! Cheesy Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com