Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assault Rifles  (Read 7056 times)
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »

Howdy, I know alot of you are very knowledgeable when it comes to guns and such (well there used to be alot of you on here, been a while). Im in the market and serious bout it to get a AR-15 style rifle. I remember reading something a while back about a few brands to stay away from. Ive researched some stuff about S&W, Bushmaster, Panther, Colt, and a few others. Just wondering what your opinions and experiences are with them. I dont wanna go way overboard with the price (say under $2k preferably) but its not too much of an issue. If youd rather PM me about it thats cool too. Thanks, Brandon. 
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »

You can definitely get a decent AR-15 for less than 2k. I'm going to be purchasing one soon as well, I've seen a few stores here in Miami with DPMS AR-15's for as low as 600, and Bushmasters for around 800.
dj_pizzim
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

There are some manufactures that are better than others and the there are some that just dont put much effort in the the finish. If your looking to get a "out of the box" AR-15 the Smith and Wesson  M&P-15 have come down in price alot and they are a great rifle. You need to know what it is you wana do with it and then you can go from there. Are you planning on punching paper up close, at far, hunting, are you looking for something Taticool, or are you look to shoot rifle matches with it?

B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »

just target shooting and to have one. probably no scope, red dot sight or iron sights most likely. something small and tactical, that can be used for home defense. not match shooting. i do like the s&w ones. i was really loookin at them and bushmaster. seem to be most popular. then theres like olympic arms and some of the more rare ones i dont know much about. i just want something reliable and fun to shoot, durable. dont need something thats gonna shoot .010 groups at 400yds or anything crazy. or something really fancy. and no, i dont want a .22lr replica. i know they are fun to shoot but its not what im lookin for.
johndoe83

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »

Get a kel-tech PLR-16, they are the shiznit, Ive wanted one for a long time and I am now close to getting one.

I currently have a ar-15, its a mix between busch master and olympic arms parts, Mines basically a average AR no scope or speacial gadgets and I love it, I want the PLR because of its compatibility with AR parts and its more of a pistol type weapon.
dj_pizzim
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:10 AM »

Do not get the plr-16 it is not an ar by any means and you will be disappointed in it. Nothing against keltec they make great pocket guns but they do nor make an ar variant. For what your looking for the bushmaster or s&w will do just fine. You can get into the cheaper variants but it sounds like you don't mind spending money So I would suggest spending the extra 100 or so and getting something a little more mainstrem and from a local dealer. If you haven't looked at spikes yet they also make some really nice rifles and they are a stand up local (orlando) company

big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »

kel-tech PLR-16 (you have to be kidding)  Roll Eyes 

Best AR15 out there is a COLT LE6920 for around $1200.00 or if you have the cash go with the Ruger SR556 gas piston design AR.   

Stay away from the wantbe ARs

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »

kel-tech PLR-16 (you have to be kidding)  Roll Eyes 

Best AR15 out there is a COLT LE6920 for around $1200.00 or if you have the cash go with the Ruger SR556 gas piston design AR.   

Stay away from the wantbe ARs
Thumbs Up

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
dj_pizzim
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

The Ruger  sr556 is one of the heaviest pistons guns out, plus then your spending extra money one for what seems to be no reason. I guess the same could be said for the Colt. But then again if you want a colt you buy a colt. It will have the highest resale value if/when you choose to sell it but personally i would buy a nice S&W or Bushmaster and spend the difference on a few thousand rounds to throw down range.

SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:26 PM »

Myself and several of my friends have the Sig 556.  For reliability, you can't beat it.  In fact the NRA just did an article a few months back where they buried the loaded gun in a mudhole for, I think, 24 hours, pulled it out and shot over 300 rounds through it with no FTF's, no jams and no affect on accuracy, etc.

I heard a rumor someone on GunBroker in NY was selling several new ones for $1000 + shipping which is about $500 cheaper than normal.

I have had mine for almost a year now and gone through over 1,000 rounds with no problems.
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »

Myself and several of my friends have the Sig 556.  For reliability, you can't beat it.  In fact the NRA just did an article a few months back where they buried the loaded gun in a mudhole for, I think, 24 hours, pulled it out and shot over 300 rounds through it with no FTF's, no jams and no affect on accuracy, etc.

I heard a rumor someone on GunBroker in NY was selling several new ones for $1000 + shipping which is about $500 cheaper than normal.

I have had mine for almost a year now and gone through over 1,000 rounds with no problems.

I like the Sigs too and for $1000.00, you cant go wrong. Plus the sig case is a positive to the deal.

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »

If you have the money to drop, the LMT is probably one of the best built AR system out there. Also, I really like the POF series as well. These weapons are more of a hand built system verses mass produced. The quality definitely shows through. But, they're certainly not the cheapest around.

Gas piston is the way to go though. Makes for a cleaner running, more consistent and reliable system. I've never owned the SIG. However, everything I've ever read about it impressed me a great deal. 

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »

i looked on SIG website and i like them but i like the 516 better than the 556. im gonna go to the gun shop to see if they have one and look at it in person.
shogun323
Supreme Member

Fuzzy Pickles #1 Dancer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »

For a gas piston system I would definately check out the Adams Arms. http://www.adamsarms.net/

"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein
stoneman

Just hangin on

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »

I've got a mint DPMS Panther .308 that I just decided to sell today.  Two slings, two 20 round mags, case, and Nikkon optics.  1300.00.

800 Outty 29.5's
800 Outty 589's
KX 500
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »

ok, i kinda like the Sig but idk, kinda want a more conventional AR. i want one like this one: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16SL.asp but not necessairly bushmaster. one from another company like s and w would be cool too or something but setup like that.
B. Graves

Go Gators!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 01:24:28 AM »

I've got a mint DPMS Panther .308 that I just decided to sell today.  Two slings, two 20 round mags, case, and Nikkon optics.  1300.00.

thanks but im lookin for more of a conventional iron sight AR just for fun shooting in .223 caliber. those are bad ass guns though. good luck with the selling.
shirah86

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »

Ive had a colt ar for the past 6 years and never had a problem with it, extremely reliable and fun to shoot
PHN

I am a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »

ok, i kinda like the Sig but idk, kinda want a more conventional AR. i want one like this one: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16SL.asp but not necessairly bushmaster. one from another company like s and w would be cool too or something but setup like that.

Thats what I picked up at the gun show with red dot sight & lots of extras...used.... for $800...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com