Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truck lift kits ?  (Read 2646 times)
buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »

Thinking about raising my truck just a little to fit new tires under it. I've seen many and honestly don't know which to go with. I already know I would have to go 6" to fit  35's then have to regear, etc. so that's not going to happen. I plan on lifting the front to match the back (level) then lifting the rear just a little for when I tow a trailer. I've looked at Tuff country, Rough Country, Easy lift, and on and on. They all use strut spacers up front. some have options of blocks or leaf springs in the rear. Any suggestions on which to go with and why ? I'd prefer to not go with the air bag system this time unless there is a real benefit to it.
The truck is a Chevy Silverado crew 4x4.
one other question - some say upon lifting the rear that new shocks are not necessary, but recommended. I have the upgraded Z71 suspension with Rancho shocks - will they handle the rear lift of 2" or should I replace them with longer ones ?

I'm definitely going back to the BFG AT's in a 275/70/18 which puts the tire height at 33.2" but they aren't as wide as my 285's were to make sure there's no rubbing.

Thanks

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
OPowersports

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »

If the main goal is to level it and fit a slightly larger tire why put blocks in the back ( that will just make it out of level again). Install a set of air bags that you can put some pressure in when towing to keep it leveled out. Get the good ones if you do, firestone makes a good kit. I had a set of Rancho shocks that took a crap within 10,000 miles and replaced them with Bilstien and they have been great for over 40,000 miles so far. something like this.  http://www.eastendcampers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=0039ALAB
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:56:48 PM by OPowersports » Logged

750 King Quad, VDI, M109R injector, HMF swamp series, Custom Front Sheave, 2mm shim, lime green spring, 20 gram rollers, 27" swamplites, Fully Snorkeled.
buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

I definitely want the front lifted for clearance. I don't like the amount of rake forward on the stock truck, but definitely don't want to have the back sagging when towing so I thought a slight rake would work.

any big advantage or disadvantage to a block vs add a leaf ?

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
KnK Motorsports

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »

I have install hundreds of strut spacers and add a leaf with no issues at all. The nice thing about the new strut spacer is you do not have to disassemble the strut just bolt the spacer to the top and off you go. PM me if you need any help.
Wayne

K&K Motorsports
specializing in off-road performance
Suspension & body lifts,leveling kits,
tires & wheels, ATV performance,& powdercoating
Authorized Dealer for Lonestar, Blingstar,AC,Nacs,ODI Grips,Ron Woods,Falicon,ESR,Herrmann,Duncan

06 YFZ450 #12
08 KFX450 #21
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:45 AM »

id never run blocks. i personally have not used add a leafs, but i hear they ride stiffer, id have no problem running them tho, ill take anything over a block. right now, i need a few more inches in the back as my trucks getting old and sagged out in the back, i plan on going with lift shackles liek these, they might be a good option for you too
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lift-Kit-CHEVY-SUBURBAN-2500-00-06-05-04-03-02-shackles-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0d7e218dQQitemZ120485454221QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

if you wanted 4" of lift oru offers a shackle flip for 175 bucks, which is a much better idea then 4" blocks
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

for the rear shocks, im pretty sure someone sells an extension bracket to re-use your existing shocks, cant remember what type of shocks the later model chevys (im asuming your newer then 98) but you might even get away with something as simple as this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-Gasket-Shock-Extension-1290A-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563e0861e1QQitemZ370407924193QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

as for the front, i see absolutely nothing wrong with a spacer.

as for the tires, im not a bfg fan at all. i think there are alot better options out there then the bfg all terain, my brother has gotten around 20,000 miles out of his so far and they are getting low, low mileage, crappy offroad performance, high price, whats to like about them? i had a set of the new km2 mud terains a few weeks ago, i sold them after about a week, they did ok offroad, they did ok on the road, they looked ok, nothing thrilling about them for a really high price. their claim to fame was the superior road performance which was quite an understatement, my baja claws ride just as nice even a little quieter, bfg does nothing but disappoint for me. imo, bfg makes ok truck tires at the same price as other really good truck tires.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:19:45 AM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
Baileygunns

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:18:01 AM »

I've done a bunch of lifts too... The blocks are liable to break or slip out... Add A leaf is a little stiffer ride but much stronger and more safe. I've put some strut spacers in a few trucks and they have come a long way. I would go with an aluminum one, not a urethane.

I know it's not a Chevy but... This is a 4" leveling kit on my Ram. Longer spindles and a bracket in the front for the lower control arms, rear is an add a leaf. It's a Fab Tech kit... 295/70/18 (34.5x11.5X18) Nitto Terra Grapplers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com