Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford F-150 Brake Job  (Read 7050 times)
TNTaylor
MudMarine

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »

I just got back from the local Firestone where I had my brakes done on a 2006 F-150 super cab.  When the mechanic got the wheels off he noticed the spindle nuts on the front wheels were labled "DO NOT RE-USE".  It turned out they're a dealer part and cost $35 each.  It really pisses me off that Ford uses a non re-useable spindle nut and charges an outrageous price to replace it.  They must be using a government pricing method for their parts.  Are there any Ford mechanics on this site who can explain to me why Ford is using this type of spindle nut and why does it cost so much?  It looks like a typical nut to me.  Dunno

2006 Suzuki Vinson Camo
2007 Raptor 700
crom A zone
Supreme Member

you all wish you where me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:00:46 PM »

i no ford tech but i can tell u i changed over 10 of those bad boys off and re used them. if u look at it its nylon that gets ruined so all u do when put em on is loc-tite and u are golden

now if ford would have used cotter pin on end of it it would not say do not re use, ford says that so they dont have liabilty of rotor lossing up and hub coming off while driving

2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift
montel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »

hello are you talking about lug nut or nut on the font cv joint
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »

I think his talking about the driveshaft nut on the front axle

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
crom A zone
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

no on the 2wd 04 and up (new body style) the switch to a sealed front bearing and instead of doing nut with castle but and cotter pin they switch to a new style nut that has rubber or nylon that holds rotor/hub combo on the spinlde

since its rubber or nylon is found after it has been un threaded it can not be used to safely lock nut on spindle.

that is why i put lock tight on the threads and torq down to spec so i no nut can not un thread resulting in wheel coming off spindle

2008 brute force 750

TNTaylor
MudMarine

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:13 AM »

CromAZone is excatly right except it also has a castle cap & cotter pin on top of the spindle nut.  If I had done the brakes at home, I probably would have re-used the original spindle nut with some loc tight but Firestone couldn't so I paid $70 for 2 nuts.

2006 Suzuki Vinson Camo
2007 Raptor 700
crom A zone
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »

ya i could never pay some to do breaks or tuneup on  car its so easy and they charge way to much money

2008 brute force 750

montel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »

they use does nut for less time when they built the truck at the factory and spend more out your pocket
Chuck Norris

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:51:03 PM »

I just got back from the local Firestone where I had my brakes done on a 2006 F-150 super cab.  When the mechanic got the wheels off he noticed the spindle nuts on the front wheels were labled "DO NOT RE-USE".  It turned out they're a dealer part and cost $35 each.  It really pisses me off that Ford uses a non re-useable spindle nut and charges an outrageous price to replace it.  They must be using a government pricing method for their parts.  Are there any Ford mechanics on this site who can explain to me why Ford is using this type of spindle nut and why does it cost so much?  It looks like a typical nut to me.  Dunno

The engineers designed the rotors to be machined on the vehicle to obtain the most true cut when machining. It is the lack of knowledge when going outside of the dealerships that cause you to spend more money then necessary. I know we all try to save money when you can but there are something that better left to the people who are experienced in their field. The brake job we offer is cost 172.00. You also get lifetime brake pads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com