Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wear your eyes out.  (Read 11923 times)
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/IrisRec1rpt.pdf

I actually ran across this when I was researching information on the Clean Water Act and the adjustment the Feds are considering.  One word may make the world of difference.  That legislation scares me. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:14:02 PM by renmus » Logged
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:53:45 PM »

Note that only one pro-OHV group called Blue Ribbon Coalition is mentioned in the report, while several opposing groups are mentioned. The report also states that "organizations and groups highly interested in policy formulation include OHV rider clubs, environmental groups, private property owners, and a wide variety of outdoor recreation enthusiasts. These may include backpackers, photographers, birders, other wildlife observers, hunters, equestrians, mountain bikers, climbers and hikers, among others. The recreational experiences that many people seek in natural environments can sometimes be incompatible with
OHV and other motorized recreational uses.
The challenge for public land managers is to address the needs and conflicting expectations of millions of people who use and enjoy the National Forests, while providing for the long-term sustainability of these lands".

Therefore, rather than complain about it, all OHV enthusiasts should join/support groups which help develop policy to protect all public lands-users interests(so they don't just ban OHVs because we're outnumbered). And, we should realize that we're our own worst enemies because the report also states that, "the least educated stratum, people with less than a high school education, saw a significant increase in annual days(they rode their OHVs), as their mean days nearly tripled from about 23 to 62 per year". Some of those may selfishly and ignorantly believe it's their right to deny and destroy public/private lands and/or they just don't give a damn.

That being said, I remain optimistic because the report's discussion ends with the following, "Gaining a deeper understanding of OHV participants’ recreational values and preferences is not an option for public land managers. It is a necessity for the future protection and sustainability of our public lands, such as national forests".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:19:06 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »

Thank you for posting this.I always like to see this kind of information...
patches206
Supreme Member

32Ex-Lax and Newmember love the glory hole!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:46:45 AM »

Yes get involved, Tellico TN. OHV park was on national forest land was permanently closed because of environmental issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The area OHV clubs were told its was going to be a temp closure form Jan-March each year and they were bind sided by the permanent closure order by the US Foresty Service.

(AKA) Ayatollah Patches
Quad32Ex-lax has a mangina!
Quad32Ex-lax worse nightmare
 Quad32Ex-laxblows!
 Quad32Ex-lax likes men!
Quad32Ex-lax likes Sheep!
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »

This is always good stuff!!!  I love to extrapolate from these reports to have some great ammo at the meetings I go to. This info serves many purposes and brings lots of people to realize the needs of ohv users. I thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »

well zman, you should give this a read.  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/14/private-property-clean-water-restoration-act/
If you are not fond of Fox News, just scroll to the bottom to get the link to the Clean Water Act.  That looks like the easiest way for the Feds to close it all down on us. 
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »

Again more good info ,Thanks dude!!!!!!

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com