Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Scrub 11/27  (Read 2844 times)
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:48:24 AM »

Anyone heading up there after turkey day?

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »

We rode the Centennial Trail yesterday and also last Saturday. It's in pretty good shape. Only saw a group of riders when we were loading up. There were about 10 bikes and half were riding 2 up which I thought was against the rules. I think that's a dumb rule especially when you're going 20 mph or less. We ride the Delancey trails too and they're a lot of fun too. I suggest wearing an orange vest for all riders as it is hunting season. Have a safe and fun trip.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Mars
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »

Thanks for the trail update. So far 18 RV sites are reserved at Scrub, I'm sure a few are hunters. We put the safety vest on the little ones during hunting season.
 I've hunted ONF, I okay with hunting but I still don't understand we people would hunt so close the the OHV area. It was even worse before all the marked trails.
The rangers don't seem to be too hard on those just putting around with the kids. Lot's of folks just can't afford 8-10k for a SXS. Hopefully the rangers understand that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:13:37 PM by Mars » Logged

04 Z400
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »

I have ridden 2 up since the rule was done even though I didn't like it only because I didn't want to get busted. There were no rangers that day. Like many have posted here they did this to get rid of the haul assers and abusers. Unfortunately trails for people who want to ride fast weren't created. There are a few states that promote trails for OHV's and welcome them. Florida not so much. I hope that changes. There's a lot more trails that could be created at ONF that would make people come and enjoy them instead of complaining but as others mentioned before that's what they don't want. The trail system can be profitable for the DOF if they would get someone OHV friendly on the board.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Mars
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »

Yep. Just think croom was worn out years ago and I beleive a phosphate pit before that.

From: research.ifas.ufl.edu/.../EnvironmentAndNaturalResources.doc 

Recreation boosts local economies – Research helped identify the importance of recreation to the economy and  jobs in a forested area.  In the Croom Motorcycle Area in the Withlacoochee State Forest, off-highway vehicle recreation generated $21.6 million in annual income and 318 jobs in the four surrounding counties.

04 Z400
stacktester
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »

Have never been to Croom and not sure if I will ever go because it's a good ride for us and for the money it costs for the permit I don't think $50 a bike is worth it for a weekend trip. Now if it was a daily fee I would do it. There are hundreds of miles of trails in ONF that are available to ride on. There's no reason they couldn't use the fire trails like before. Big Scrub CG is pretty bare right now. It used to have some trees and grass. It has no character at all. They could do some sprucing up with the fees they take in. You can see all the old trails we used to be able to ride and they are flat and covered in weeds and pinestraw which actually creates a tenderbox for fires. Hopefully the forestry will see a potential in a well managed trail system that will provide a good environment for kids and families.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com