Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiots Continue To Ruin It For Us  (Read 17145 times)
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »

As many of you know, I have a camp deep inside the Big Cypress. I am basically in the geographic middle of the place. Last weekend was opening general gun. I couldn't go but, several of my firends who have camps not far from mine made it in. It's about 15 miles in to get to my camp. However, located very close to my camp is the NPS backcountry camp.

This backcountry camp was donated to the NPS by a private property owner upon his death some years ago. It is the place the park rangers stay while inside the preserve. The problem is that this camp has now become a "destination" for many people to try to find. The GPS numbers have been handed around and now, everyone and their brother with an ATV tries to find it.

I've posted several times on this site about running across people on ATV's showing up at this camp (which is private property) at late hours, drunk and generally behaving incorrectly. Well, this weekend was no exception.

Apparently, on Saturday afternoon, a group of ATV's showed up at the NPS camp in a highly intoxicated state. They began riding all around the NPS camp, across the porches and even used lumber on site to build a jump. They threw trash, beer bottles and other garbage all over the place before another camp owner showed up and asked them to leave as it was private property. The ATV riders were belligerent but, did leave. Then, once they were gone, the camp owner picked up the trash in the yard and contacted the NPS via cell phone.

Now, thanks to those idiots and the many idiots on ATV's before them, the camp is now gated off and cameras have been installed to catch people trespassing. This couldn't happen at a worse time. We're currently battling to get a new place to ride opened on the edge of the Big Cypress while still fighting to keep the Big Cypress itself open to ATV use. Most people who come into the Big Cypress are decent folks. However, more and more we're seeing people on ATV's act stupidly and drive yet another nail in our coffin.

If any of you know these guys, tell them what a bunch of fools they are. Let them know that, because of people like them, it won't be long before we lose another place to ride. The single biggest common denominator for problems in the Big Cypress is an ATV. That's just a sad fact and I hate it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:18:30 PM by Anoriginal » Logged

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »

I've never been to the Big Cypress but after having driven up 19, I know it's got to be a beautiful place to explore.  I feel as helpless about Big Cypress as I did about Holeylands; I knew what was coming but couldn't do anything about it.  I don't know whether to try to get a permit or just let it go so I don't have to go through the pain of losing another place I loved to ride.  It really sucks.  As I said about Holeylands, the ones that will scream the loudest are the guilty.   Angry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »

Unfortunately I have witnessed this myself and they were not kids in this instance, rather grown men in their 40's and 50's. I have also seen them camp out at Dusty's old landing strip and being belligerent when they were told it was private property. In my opinion it's just a matter of time before the NPS says atv's for hunting only like they do at holylands today. Please be respectful of private property and your surroundings and obey ALL laws while in the preserve. The Antis are looking to do everything possible to keep closing down what little is left...
buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »

It's sad that some people are so ignorant and willing to ruin it for everyone else.

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »

Yeah, the Big Cypress is well on it's way to being cut off from ATV use. Just a matter of time. Idiots just can't seem to help themselves.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »

It's not the ATV's but the degenerates riding them that ruin it.  Angry

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

It's not the ATV's but the degenerates riding them that ruin it.  Angry

Most definitely.

rdm225

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »

I would be willing to bet this was a group of beaners from Miami
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »

It's all kinds. Not just one group of people. However, these folks were asking "which way is 8th Street"?

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:45 PM »

It's all kinds. Not just one group of people. However, these folks were asking "which way is 8th Street"?

What did you tell them??  Head south of Key West 50 miles......

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »

thats right. no self respecting hillbilly would do that. he'd be to busy doing his sister, cousin, mother, or brother. Grin

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
miker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »

Man, I went to ONF a few years ago and couldnt believe the amount of idiots racing around the parking lot without helmets.  Definitely not a place i will bring my family again.  I can see why the dirt bikers look down on the quads.  I know there are bonehead dirt bikers out there too, but there are way more quadders screwing things up for us.
bigAl300ex

Ridin' hard and gettin' dirty!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

That's pretty messed up that on this forum people choose to blame certain nationalities or "beaners" as some of you like to call them on messing up riding areas.  I've gone riding in Evergades National Park, Croom, Ocala, Badluck Prairie (when you could ride there), Holey Lands, and lots of other places where many of the people trashing and doing screwed up things that closed some of these places down where of "white" skin color.  That doesn't make me think that "hillbillies" or "white trailer trash" folks are to blame for the destruction or closing down of riding areas.  I was born and raised in south Florida, but I refuse to blame "certain" people in the ATV community for what eventually will close down the few remaining riding areas.  I use to live off Tamiami Trail (8th st) and not once did I or my riding buddies make a drive to ENP to tresspass or cause destruction there.  Some of you might want to think a little before you make statements on this website.   
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 10:24:48 AM »

Like I said, it's all types. Not just any group or skin color. I didn't see these guys over last weekend so I have no idea what race, color or creed they were. They asked where 8th Street was...that's not an indication of anything other than stupidity.

I've posted several times on this site about dummies doing this sort of thing in the Big Cypress. I can tell you that I've experienced several different races and creeds all acting like morons. Lets not make this into something it shouldn't be. It's got nothing to do with ethnicity. It's got everything to do with stupidity.

I agree with bigAl300ex's assesment of the situation. A few bad apples don't spoil the entire bunch when it comes to a person's race, etc. However, (unfortunate for all of us) when all of the bad apples are riding ATV's, it has a tendency to ruin all of it for the rest of us.

foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »

I've been hearing the same comments from other camp owners in the area.
The hardening of these trails has turned Old Monument Grade into a freeway for idiots to go further north than they ever would've dared for fear of getting lost.
Time will tell what the end result will be.

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

Sounds like it's time for an accidental shooting.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
Gato
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »

That's pretty messed up that on this forum people choose to blame certain nationalities or "beaners" as some of you like to call them on messing up riding areas.  I've gone riding in Evergades National Park, Croom, Ocala, Badluck Prairie (when you could ride there), Holey Lands, and lots of other places where many of the people trashing and doing screwed up things that closed some of these places down where of "white" skin color.  That doesn't make me think that "hillbillies" or "white trailer trash" folks are to blame for the destruction or closing down of riding areas.  I was born and raised in south Florida, but I refuse to blame "certain" people in the ATV community for what eventually will close down the few remaining riding areas.  I use to live off Tamiami Trail (8th st) and not once did I or my riding buddies make a drive to ENP to tresspass or cause destruction there.  Some of you might want to think a little before you make statements on this website.   
only when they get back to the trucks and you see rebel flags on the front bumper, stickers on the rear windows of bass and deer and titles and names on the doors Like "Earl" husband on the driver side and "Charlene" Sister & Wife on the passenger side do you know then that they are  HAHA  Grin Grin

2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

The powers that be who would close the location do not care about heritage.  They see an idiot rider and that is enough.  Don't change the topic to become some hate crap.
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:58 AM »

Well, like I said, this doesn't have anything to do with race, color or creed. just stupidity.

I've seen groups of idiots in the Big Cypress who were not following the rules and misbehaving on countless occasions. Those groups have been comprised of Hispanics and Caucasians. It's unfair to attribute stupidity to just once race, color or creed as there appears to be plenty to go around for everyone.

Also, the last time I checked, I didn't see any of those stickers or names on any of the trucks parked at Monroe Station. Usually, it's all really nice, expensive stuff owned by people who care. We just seem to be getting more and more idiots these days coming into the Big Cypress. Pretty soon, I see the entire thing being closed to ATV.

And please, don't try to make this something it's not with the childish racist comments. I'd hate to have to lock the thread.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:27:56 AM by Anoriginal » Logged

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 07:19:22 PM »

I hope this solidifies the fact that whether you ride 2,3,4 wheels its pretty clear what is appropriate ettiquette when you are recreating in an area that allows this type of use. We all know right from wrong and the people who feel as strongly and passionately as they do should get together and form a group,club,organization,whatever like they do throughout the country. This group of people would be like stewards of the said area and would assist the NPS in whatever to make sure this type of behavior or incident is avoided or curtailed in the future. I take real pride and care to be an example when I ride and Rick I hope you will vouche for me. This I hope will be an opportunity for someone smart and start an organized something to work with the NPS and have them EVENTUALLY one day say IF IT WASENT FOR THE "OFF ROADERS" what would we do? This could be a GOOD THING if we were to get together and have a  ORGANIZED GROUP!!!!!!!!    A true set of individuals with the same  things in mind.   I hope I get the chance to meet many of the people on here and one day you will see there are good riders in every race, kinda vehicle and from all areas of the country. What happened occurred because of LACK OF SECURITY, Thats all. If this area has had problems like this in the past, WHAT HAS ANYONE DONE ABOUT IT OTHER THAN POST A THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     I truly hope to be able to meet with more people that feel this passionately about the recreational activity I enjoy so much.

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »

I hope this solidifies the fact that whether you ride 2,3,4 wheels its pretty clear what is appropriate ettiquette when you are recreating in an area that allows this type of use. We all know right from wrong and the people who feel as strongly and passionately as they do should get together and form a group,club,organization,whatever like they do throughout the country. This group of people would be like stewards of the said area and would assist the NPS in whatever to make sure this type of behavior or incident is avoided or curtailed in the future. I take real pride and care to be an example when I ride and Rick I hope you will vouche for me. This I hope will be an opportunity for someone smart and start an organized something to work with the NPS and have them EVENTUALLY one day say IF IT WASENT FOR THE "OFF ROADERS" what would we do? This could be a GOOD THING if we were to get together and have a  ORGANIZED GROUP!!!!!!!!    A true set of individuals with the same  things in mind.   I hope I get the chance to meet many of the people on here and one day you will see there are good riders in every race, kinda vehicle and from all areas of the country. What happened occurred because of LACK OF SECURITY, Thats all. If this area has had problems like this in the past, WHAT HAS ANYONE DONE ABOUT IT OTHER THAN POST A THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     I truly hope to be able to meet with more people that feel this passionately about the recreational activity I enjoy so much.

well, you have the group in Ocala that Grizzly Bear works with in Ocala as a template. 
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »

Zman I do vouch for you and I personally know that you have always tried to fight a good fight. I sometimes wonder if the NPS actually wants our help or not. I offered to give them a VHF radio and antenna as along as they were willing to monitor an agreed upon channel,sometimes our cell phones don't work but we can talk via VHF and they turned it down. I had approached Ed Clark, the head ranger at the park about having a volunteer organization to help the park and at first he was all for it and that's died? I will try to revisit this with the park and let you know, maybe we can get some like minded people here and start doing some volunteer work and show the positive force that we could be....Rick
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »

The NPS isn't interested and will not accept any assistance from us in any way, shape or form. Many of us have approached the NPS about some form of assistance in the past. They're not interested and have no mechanism in place to deal with it.

I am afraid the damage has aleady been done when it comes to ATV use in the BICY. The kind of stuff I reported in my initial post happens every weekend down there. It's getting worse as time wears on and more idiots begin to flock to the BICY. Unfortunately, the overall mentality of many of the ATV riders that travel into the BICY these days is poor and lacks respect. Like the Holylands, the single largest common denominator for problems in the BICY is an ATV. Do away with the ATV's and you'll do away with most of the problems. Again, the Holeylands are a prime example. Just talk to anyone who has a camp in the Holeylands these days and they'll tell you it's great now that the ATV's have been banned.

I hate it but, it's true.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:30:32 PM by Anoriginal » Logged

zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »

I was told by many agencies I delt with in the past that "lack of persistence" was the main factor for hesitation coupled with disorganiztion amongst the "off-rod vehicle community. We should not be complacent or simply give up hope. If we do nothing about the problem you cant be a possible solution for it!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is simply not going to solve itself!!!!!!!!!      Please dont just make this about ATV's   This is about adopting a set standard for (sport-quads,4x4,2-wheeled vehicles,and Utv's).  Everyone that rides there regardless of the vehicle will either follow the rules or their priveledges will be revoked!  The volunteer issue seems like we need to take this to a higher authority, but we must do this as a organized group with the main focus or goal being the Park and safety. This is basic risk management!!!!!!!!!!        I thank you rick for your voucher and also speak for you any day!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com