Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I buy an ATV if there is no where to ride?  (Read 15645 times)
dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »

Hello everyone I just joined your site as I am doing research for an ATV purchase.

I used to ride as a kid when you could just go anywhere and no one ever bothered you. I am starting to see thats not the case anymore, I know you have to register, get the big cypress permit and take the class but some freinds have told me that you cant even ride there anymore, is this true?  I followed some of your links to where to ride and most places are in north Florida, I live in south Florida is it even worth buying a bike?

I really would like to start riding again but I would really hate to spend money on the trailer, ATV permits etc and then find out I cant ride it.

any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, I started saving some money on the side and was planning next March or April paying most of the cost for a new Honda or Grizzly cant decide yet.
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »

What kinda riding do you want to do? (track,trail,mud)? if you ride track you have several tracks reasonably close (seminole,miami mx) if you like mud, Well take your pick and ride on the weekdays when FWC is not patrolling the hot spots that they usually patrol on the weekends. If you ride trails then dont buy the bike unless you want to drive atleast an hour to Lcross or Thundercross or 4.5 hours to Croom or you can go to Homestead and ride there. Whatever you do I would think twice cause it aint what it use to be!!!!!!!!!!     

Youve gotta pin it to win it!
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »

The Big Cypress is not an ATV riding area and not ATV friendly. It is a National Preserve with VERY strict rules for ATV use. 15 mph speed limit, no riding doubles, designated trails, ORV license requirement, Permitted ATV and sticker requirement and very stiff fines for breaking the rules.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

And, Big Cypress is under water most of the year.

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »

Thanks for your comments, as far as what kind of riding I just would want to go out on trails with mud you know with other people have some outdoor fun.

I saw on one of your links some Florida ATV clubs some where in Dade or Broward County anyone here members?

3 Legged Dawgs
11111 SW 111 Street
Miami, FL 33186

DC Ruff Ryderz
20515 SW 89th Ave.
Miami, FL 33189

LosNasty
Keys Gate
Homestead, FL 33035

Wow I am beginning to think my dream is coming crashing down LOL
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »

I would tell you to continue do a little more  research as you have been doing and you will see that you will ultimately meet alot of cool people on this and other sites and eventually ride some great places. If I can give you some advice? WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!!!! IF ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!! and be safe you should have some great memories of the sport you have chosen to recreate in. Sounds like Lcross is the place that would suite you?   

dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:06:01 PM »

thanks  Smiley

Where is Lcross?
zman03
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

go to Lcross.com

dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

Well I called the Big Cypress visiting center and asked some questions, turns out they will only give 2000 permits a year and the deadline for this year is at the end of this month  Sad

I am starting to see that living in South Florida I cant even do a simple thing as get on an ATV and enjoy the outdoors.
m0n0x1d3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »

Thats not toally true. You just need to be smart and quiet about when and where you ride.Now I know  i will get flamed for this but guys i have over 50k in atvs at my house and i am gonna ride them. Your best bet is to prolly get a nice sized 4x4,with these bikes your not to limited to what you can do.Also for the record my company owns lots of land at the end of 41st and I do have written permission to ride. BUy an ATV now while they are dirt cheap.Also i have 2 500cc sportsbikes for sale really cheap if you decide to go that route.
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:22 AM »

Why would you get flamed for riding on land you have permission for?

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:47 AM »

Well I looked at the croom website looks like its a good place to go camping and riding when you can spend a weekend, L-cross looks pretty cool. I will keep saving and see how it looks for March or so. Thanks for all the advice guys, also someone mentioned Seminole Trails is that going to be a non state riding place?
dtsman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »

So I looked up the Seminole motorcross website,

http://www.seminoletribemotocross.com/seminoletribemain.htm

It does not say anything about trails, looks like its more for bikes on a track.
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »

It's worth it to me. I'd spend 7k just to be able to ride once a year if thats all I could do. Those few hours i'm on my bike are totally worth it. Hell I haven't riden since may Sad L-cross seems like a nice place to ride! I've raced xc out there a couple times and it seems like you could have a fun weekend out there. Also croom, Ocala national forest i think is still decent for anyone that didn't ride there when it was all out lol. And like the one guy said, if you respect the land and the people around it, you can ride places that are not necessarily "legal." Obviously though, if there are signs or fences or big mounds of dirt/logs in front of an entrance, don't ride there. Honestly, a little respect goes a long way. I've never been yelled at, shot at, arrested or anything for riding some place that wasn't a designated riding area. Though I was chased by an avalanche one time, but that wasnt my fault.  Wink and I was 15, much older, much wiser lol.

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Raptorman_Ed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I live in southwest Florida and just make a weekend out of it and drive to the Motoplex for their feature weekends.  We drive both sports and ute, this place is the best and wroth the 5 hour drive to me everyohter month.

08 Yamaha YFZ-450  - T-man
09 Yamaha Big Bear 400 --A.K.A. Ed 2WD
06 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel
08 18' Cargo Trailer
cr500pro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »

right now in south florida especialy miami,i would not buy an atv,everything is off limits,,i would buy a dualsport bike,be legal on the road & get lil trail action when i find it.
strubby

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

There are a lot of places to ride in FL, you just have to be willing to travel for FUN! I travel for work all over the east coast, so an hour or two, or even three is nothing for me. 5A is a good place to kick back and ride anytime for free. Also, a new park coming in SW FL looks promising. It'll be a 3.5-4hr drive for me but I sure as hell will be there!

http://floridatracksandtrails.com/Home.html

'13 Scrambler 850 LE
'15 RZR 900 S
'15 RZR XP1000 Highlifter (SOLD)
'12 RZR XP900 LE (SOLD)
'08 Outlaw 450 MXR (SOLD)
cr500pro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »

myself id buy an atv/dirtbike even if i had to  drive 24hrs .2 ride it,thats just me,i call myself an offroad junkie 4life..if u have never been in the sport,try riding a freinds bike or renting 1 and see if u like it..the best tool ive used 2 find riding locations is (goggle maps) ive said it many times on here..good luck pal. Wink Grin
nukacola

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »

I live in southwest Florida and just make a weekend out of it and drive to the Motoplex for their feature weekends.  We drive both sports and ute, this place is the best and wroth the 5 hour drive to me everyohter month.

SWFL there are a couple real good places. One is the Redneck Yacht Club in Punta Gorda. You have to pay to ride daily. A free place that is awesome is called Titty Lake. It's off of Veterans Pkwy in Port Charlotte/North Port. It's huge and there's no checking in or anything. You just go. Bring beers or whatever you want. Try to keep it clean so there's less reason for someone to shut it down. That place has trails, mud pits, dirt, anything you could really ask for. Completely free.

Also you can ride on the roads out there; not much traffic if any. If you want to test how fast you can go this is it. Long stretches.

Don't get lost and DEFINITELY go with friends.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:13:07 AM by nukacola » Logged
cr500pro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »

ive heard of TITTY LAKe for a long time can u please tell me exactly where this is buddy?.i might explore that area. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com