Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!  (Read 5965 times)
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

RACE LIKE ITS GOING TO BE YOUR LAST RACE!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »

Hello all, I hope some one can help me. My YFZ when in gear and I try to start it, when pulling in the clutch it doesnt go into neutral. When putting it in nutral and starting its fine, but jumps when started in gear with the clutch pulled in. Its must be still engaged, but not sure what to look for. Can some one please help?

Also I have removed my neutral switch, so could I have lost ground?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:57:50 PM by MOTOCROSS MAVERICK » Logged

NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »

what about adjusting the clutch cable a little. that helped me with my raptor. still does it when its cold though. after it warms up its fine.
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »

I did that to no avail. cable is perfect! I am thinking because I was rebuilding my motor that the clutch plates got dry. So I am guessing they are dry and wont dissengage.

Andy9933

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »

If you start in neutral and putting it in gear with it running,does it stall?

WWW.TAMPABAYRIDINDIRTY.COM
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »

If you start in neutral and putting it in gear with it running,does it stall?

Yep pull the clutch, put it in gear and it jumps and stalls.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:42:02 PM by MOTOCROSS MAVERICK » Logged

tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »

will the gears change while motor is running and clutch pulled.or does it stall as soon as you put it in gear with clutch pulled. and what happened leading to this.

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:22:13 PM »

will the gears change while motor is running and clutch pulled.or does it stall as soon as you put it in gear with clutch pulled. and what happened leading to this.

It stalls once it hits 2nd or 1st with the clutch pulled. That is it! It runs like a GEM other than that. I pulled the clutch out and I think the pressure plate spring was backwards. That is the big Plate like o ring that is in between the fibers and hub. I am soaking the plates and going to assemble in the morning Hopefully that is it. If that could cause that let me know or any other suggestions please! I haven't rode in 2 years and I am desperate!

Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »

iv seen this before. the clutch is locked up. what iv done is push along side the bike in neutral, get it in gear and get rolling on the bike to the point where i can ride it. put it in a really tall gear and just lug the bike hard, put tons and tons of load on the clutch and it should break free. this has worked for me most of the time, but if not, youl have to pull the clutch cover.

a guy kept having this happen to him on his mojave. everytime he brought his bike in it was the same deal, id put it in a tall gear and break ti free, flush the oil 6 times untill it looked good and hed be on his way, we just figured he kept swamping the bike. it turned out the motor oil had gotten coolant in it from a bad water pump seal. and letting it sit with the milky oil locked everything up. you could have the same problem, check if your coolents low. or maybe you got water in your oil. something is up to make it lock up like that, thats the bad part. the good part is its normally easy to get them free. just check your oil, if its milky, check your coolant.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:01:24 PM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 12:14:04 AM »

It stalls once it hits 2nd or 1st with the clutch pulled. That is it! It runs like a GEM other than that. I pulled the clutch out and I think the pressure plate spring was backwards. That is the big Plate like o ring that is in between the fibers and hub. I am soaking the plates and going to assemble in the morning Hopefully that is it. If that could cause that let me know or any other suggestions please! I haven't rode in 2 years and I am desperate!
if the jutter spring was installed backwards it would make the clutch pack tight and cause it to stall sounds like your on the right track. let me know tomorrow if it doesn't fix it

MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:18:35 AM »

if the jutter spring was installed backwards it would make the clutch pack tight and cause it to stall sounds like your on the right track. let me know tomorrow if it doesn't fix it

That sounds about right for me also! The clutch felt tight to pull in. I am about 75% i pulled it out backwards, but didn't know until I pulled it out and looked at the manual. Thanks for the input Tony! I sure hope that is it and i will let you know. I want to ride!  Cool

Andy9933

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »

You going to sunshine today?

WWW.TAMPABAYRIDINDIRTY.COM
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

You going to sunshine today?

Yep just got back. Well clutch did not unlock up. Still the same problem. Also in low RPM's in second gear it seems to be jumping in and out of the gear real fast.I don't know if that is any direct relation to my clutch problem. But that sucks, because I replaced all the gears in the tranny.

KyleB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

Did you get this resolved? I'm having same problem on my 06 after my clutch cable snapped. The push rod shaft got spun around after the cable broke, so I took the clutch springs/pressure plate out to re-seat the shaft against the push rod(counterclockwise), and resembled exactly how it was before according to service manual. Like you, only thing I can think of is the plates may need to be soaked; also like you, the clutch tension is much tighter even though they are the same exact springs.

Anyone know of a trustworthy/knowledgeable place/person to take my bike in Tallahassee?  Cheesy
TOY_DOCTOR
Supreme Member

RHINO 660, YFZ450, TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »

sounds like the plates are sticking together, may be time for a new clutch, also when getting oil make sure its for a wet clutch. will help your clutch last longer, another thing is make sure your basket don't have deep grooves.

TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com