Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting Season  (Read 9040 times)
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:24:34 PM »

Hey everyone. I know that a lot of you, like me, love to hunt and hunting season is ramping up right now. But, please, please, please be careful and take the time to remember some golden rules about hunting and safety.

1. Every gun is loaded...even when it's not. Treat it like its loaded at all times and tragedies can be avoided. Too many times you hear stories of guns going off when people thought the gun was unloaded.

2. Always point your gun in a safe direction. Usually straight up or straight down.

3. Be careful following or leading as well as when crossing obstacles such as fences or rough terrain. Depending on where you’re located, be mindful of the direction of the muzzle. When crossing fences and obstacles, be sure to place your gun in a safe place or hand it to your buddy and then retrieve it on the other side.

4. Always use a rope to raise and lower your gun from a tree stand after making sure you’ve unloaded it and that you’ve got the barrel pointed down while hoisting and lowering.

5. Keep your fingers away from the trigger until you’re ready to use it. This is self explanatory.

6. Identify your target, know it’s your target and know what’s on the other side. Don’t assume that you’re firing into the body of an animal when all you see is the neck and head. I cannot tell you how many deer I’ve passed on over the years because I didn’t have a complete sight picture. Also, know what’s beyond the target. If you’re shooting uphill, what’s on the other side? Where’s the truck. Where’s your buddy?

7. Know where your buddies are located. Bullets don’t have a mind once fired and, they travel for miles under certain circumstances. Don’t assume the bullet could never reach your buddy. Know where he/they is/are and act accordingly.

8. Always let someone know where you’ll be and how long you plan to be there. Every year countless hunters are lost or injured when hunting. Many of these problems could be avoided if you simply let someone know where you’re hunting and when and where you’ll come out.

9. Know the terrain. With free programs like Google Earth, there’s absolutely no excuse for not having a general idea of the area you plan to hunt. Research it in advance and plan accordingly. You’ll have a more successful and enjoyable hunt.

10. Make sure your equipment is in good working condition. This goes for your gun, your stand, your truck, your four wheeler, your clothing, etc. If any of it doesn’t work properly it can ruin your chances and, even worse, get you killed. I see stories every year of people injured or killed via faulty equipment.

11. Go prepared. When I go out for the day, I’ve always got a small pack with the necessities. Water, energy bars, fire starter, emergency blanket, flashlight, bug repellent, handheld gps, 2-way radio, packable rain gear, knife, first aid, etc. It’s lightweight and organized. It could save your life too.

12. Make sure you have permission and the proper permits/licenses. There are tons of places to hunt in Florida that offer outstanding opportunities. There is absolutely no reason to hunt without permission. Remember, trespass with a firearm is a felony. Also, be sure you have all the requisite permits and licenses. You can pick them up online at www.myfwc.com in Florida. Most other states have similar web sites. Also, here’s a link to Florida’s current hunting regulations:  http://www.myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/Hunt_2009-10_RegulationsHandBook.pdf
Read these rules and regulations and respect them.

13. Leave no trace. Respect the outdoors and do your best to leave it better than you found it. Pack out your trash and anyone else’s that you find along the way.

14. Don’t be a game hog. Just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean you have to shoot it. Sure the rules say that as long as the deer has at least one antler over 5” it’s legal. But seriously, what’s the point? Let him go and grow. Be a steward of the environment and the game that resides within it. Remember, you’re there to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. If you’re dead set on just getting the deer/hog/elk/rabbit/antelope/etc. meat, it’s much cheaper and faster to buy it online and shipped to your door. So don’t give me that, “I’m hunting to feed my family!” B.S.

15. Supervise your kids!!!!! Under Florida Statutes Section 790.22 (2009), it is illegal for a minor under 18 to possess a firearm unless: (a) They are at least 16 and engaged in hunting or a marksmanship contest, (b) They are under 16 and supervised/accompanied by an adult; or (c) they are simply transporting an unloaded firearm to a proper hunting/marksmanship event. I don’t care how mature or responsible you think your kid is. Just supervise them and be there with them. You’ll both get more out of it and, you’ll be following the law. Moreover, could you live with yourself if something went wrong because you’re not there?

16. Share. Take a kid, a friend or a family member with you. You’ll spread the wealth of enjoying the outdoors and solidify the future of hunting in America.

These are just the basics I’ve come up with on my own. Most are common sense but, if you’re hunting with me, I’m strict about it and you will obey each and every rule above. I hunt more than anyone I know on more property and in more places than anyone I know and I am so very thankful for it. I make it a point to share it with as many family and friends as I can. Sometimes as a guide, sometimes as a shared hunt. However, in doing so, everyone follows these rules. As a result, everyone ALWAYS has a great time.

I wish you all good luck and good times this season and look forward to seeing the results.

Wink

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »

Excellent, excellent post.  I always like to have a friend check my gun, after I have checked it, to make sure its not loaded.  Its like having a fresh set of eyes look it over.  BUT THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR RULE #1.  I have only been hunting twice and am not embarassed to say that I have not shot anything because of many of the rules that Anoriginal posted below (deer was too young though legal, and could only see the deer's head and not the rest of its body). 

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »

You forgot to mention don't go hunting with thingy Cheney.... Laugh Rolling on the Floor Laughing.....JK, really though, these are excellent rules when ever a gun is present.  Good post Matt
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

True. Be careful with Cheney in the field!

And Dave had a good point. The gun rules always apply. Hunting or not.

One more thing though. Be sure to teach your kids that, whenever they see a gun, they should walk away from it and tell a grown up about it. It might save a life. Doesn't matter what the situation or where it is. Just teach them to steer clear of it and let you, or another grown up, know.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »

One more thing though. Be sure to teach your kids that, whenever they see a gun, they should walk away from it and tell a grown up about it. It might save a life. Doesn't matter what the situation or where it is. Just teach them to steer clear of it and let you, or another grown up, know.

Good Lord!!!  You would hump a rock if you thought it would up your post count.   Wacko

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »

Good Lord!!!  You would hump a rock if you thought it would up your post count.   Wacko

Laugh Laugh Rolling on the Floor Laughing
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »

Anyone else hunt this weekend? Saw a ton of deer. Lots of does, three 6's, a 4, a few spikes, a 7 and a nice 9. Only the 9 was a shooter but it never got close enough to me. (I follow very strict rules when it comes to QDM)

Regardless, it's always a wonderful time spent in the woods with my bow on opening weekend.

Let's hear from the rest of you.

foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

Anyone else hunt this weekend? Saw a ton of deer. Lots of does, three 6's, a 4, a few spikes, a 7 and a nice 9. Only the 9 was a shooter but it never got close enough to me. (I follow very strict rules when it comes to QDM)

Regardless, it's always a wonderful time spent in the woods with my bow on opening weekend.

Let's hear from the rest of you.

Spent the weekend after a 6 that would'nt give me a shot.
Also seen 2 bucks that required a 50 cal to reach them. I also heard some fines were issued in the additions.

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:14:31 AM »

Robert:

Sounds like a fun weekend in the woods!!

Tell me more about the fines in the additions. I'd like to know as I hadn't heard about it.

~ Matt

big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »

I dont do bow season, so when scouting in the tree stand.

BP right around the corner  Wink

* Unnamed.jpg (48 KB, 480x640 - viewed 236 times.)

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

One of our usual hunting spots has become home to an albino fawn this year.  It's a breathtaking sight to see a pure white deer up close.  I hope no one shoots it, but it's probably wishful thinking...
foreman1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

Robert:

Sounds like a fun weekend in the woods!!

Tell me more about the fines in the additions. I'd like to know as I hadn't heard about it.

~ Matt
Will send a PM

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »

Have any of you heard of soaking deer meat in milk to get rid of the "gamey" taste?

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 11:02:49 PM »

Have any of you heard of soaking deer meat in milk to get rid of the "gamey" taste?

I've done it many times.  I particularly like to do it with a shoulder.  Soak it overnight then slow cook the shoulder.  Absolutely delicious.  Never do it with the finer cuts (backstrap, tenderloins, etc.).  As far as the hams, always ground that up for sausage and other general purpose use.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »

I've done it many times.  I particularly like to do it with a shoulder.  Soak it overnight then slow cook the shoulder.  Absolutely delicious.  Never do it with the finer cuts (backstrap, tenderloins, etc.).  As far as the hams, always ground that up for sausage and other general purpose use.

Works well with Fishy tasting fish ie: kingfish some of the deep water snappers etc.....

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »

Headed out again Saturday morning to bow hunt locally. We only shoot 8pts or better that are wwaaaaayyyy outside the ears. Or, a doe if she's in a group of four or more.

The following week I head to our place in South Carolina for a few days. We get 60-70 doe tags each year up there and try to fill as many as we can. The tags are designated by the SC Dept. of Wildlife and harvesting hte does does a good job on our QDM plan. We've been on a big buck program through the QDMA for over 15 years and it pays off. We've got a little over 6000 acres with only four owners and we don't take a lot of people with us. So, we never fill all the tags. But, it makes for a full freezer every year.

Late October I head to Wyoming for Elk and Mulies for 10 days ( I hope...depending on my trial schedule). Bow and rifle. And in Mid November I'm off to South Dakota for pheasants for four days. In between, I'm hunting all over Florida and in South Carolina at our place and shooting T.V. show pilots for the Verses network (no kidding). So, I've got a busy busy hunting schedule ahead of me this year.

I'm loving it!

Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

Ricky!

Just saw the pic. Didn't load yesterday due to network issues in my office.

Looks like he'll be a nice deer next year for sure! Scouting is a fun thing to do and something most people forget about. It's important and a definite key to a good year afield.

Good luck to you and your son this year.   Thumbs Up

gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

I dont do bow season, so when scouting in the tree stand.

BP right around the corner  Wink

aw god! the leaf formation on the top right forms the face of jesus. its a miracle! Bow

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »

Anyone do any good this past weekend?

buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »

I was doing great ! I was all camo up, moving silently and swiftly. I was tracking this beautiful one to bag.........then she saw me, screamed and called the cops  Shocked 
 Cheesy

Unfortunately I don't get much opportunity to hunt, and have even less access to places to do it. So when someone wants to take me and my son to get a nice hog let me know  Thumbs Up

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »

Where do you live?

I love taking people and their kids hunting. More than I love hunting myself. Getting kids into the outdoors is a wonderful thing to expose them to.

Davidld98

Botas Rule ! ! !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 05:59:30 PM »

I sure miss huntin in SC. Beautiful country and plenty of deer.

08 RTV1100
03 Rincon
03 E-Z Go
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

I love it up there too. I try to make it up as many times as I can every year.

buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »

Where do you live?

I love taking people and their kids hunting. More than I love hunting myself. Getting kids into the outdoors is a wonderful thing to expose them to.

Not too far from you. I'm in Tampa.

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »

I'll PM you and we'll set up something for you and your son one weekend.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com