Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time mudding and first time quad has seen deep water  (Read 3561 times)
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »

Went to my buddies property in North Florida and did a little mudding and the quad with my new swamp lites did great.  Around midnight or so we decide to do a little night ride, was not going to be any serious mud just a little ride.  Well I was in back of the line and was trying to follow the leaders route thru some mud, the other guys went around the mud, and wouldn't you know it I went the wrong way and went deep.  The quad was basically floating I guess, I tried moving forward and back but it would not go and finally stalled after making some strange sounds.  Meanwhile the rest of the group has taken off not knowing I was not still with them  Sad.  I listen as they drive away to the point I can't even hear them anymore and figured I might be there a while until they get back to camp and realize I am not there, so I laid back on the quad and watched the stars for around 30 minutes until they finally showed back up for the rescue  Grin.

We get the quad back to camp around 1:00 am or so and start to take the air filter out and it seems dry but when we took out the spark plug and turned the motor over it shot out water  Sad, so after turning it over a lot it seems like there is no more water, we sprayed a little WD 40 down the spark plug whole just to give it a little oil and turned it over a little more.  Finally we are ready to try and start it around 1:45am and when we get it to start it is making a strange noise  but then we realized that we have not drained the belt box or housing or whatever you call it.  After letting that drain for about 5 minutes we crank up the quad again and it sounds good.  A lot of water shot out of tailpipe during the course of turning the motor over and when we finally got it started.  We alto got some steam to, I guess it was the water in the tail pipe burning off.  I gave it a quick 10 minute ride and all seems good.  We checked the oil and it does not seem to have any water in it either.

My question is this, should I do anything else?  I will change the oil this week but is that even necessary?

Thanks for the help
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »

I would check ALL your fluids

Frnt End
Rear End
Motor Oil
Tranny
Transfer

Anything that had water I personally would "flush it" meaning fill it with the correct fluid take it for a easy ride (get it warm) then drain it and inspect what you drain VERY carefully (let it drain through your fingers) any inconsistencies do it all over again till you get NO contamination coming out.

On your frnt and rear end if you open your inspection hole and fluid starts draining out (on level ground) you probably have water in the bottom.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

yea, your going to want to check everything. chances are you will need to flush the engine oil and the diffs. not a big deal, just time consuming. change the plug while your in there too.

next time you use your quad like a submarine, remember, kill the motor once you realize your in too deep and just push it out. dont wait till the motor sucks in all the water in and dies.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:12:59 PM by Chevy1500z71 » Logged
Austin.Fies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:08 PM »

If you got that much water in it you should definitely change the oil. As long as the oil is not milky, you didn't get water in it but it's always smart to change it once or twice after you flood it like that.
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »

I will change the oil and check those other fluids to be safe.

Thanks for the tips,

Dave
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »

My question is this, should I do anything else?  Thanks for the help

Always obliged to help.  I think the best thing for you is to move back to Nevada!    Laugh Rolling on the Floor Laughing Laugh Rolling on the Floor Laughing Moon

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »

Well that would keep me out of the mud but not political threads  Wink.
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »

Diggin' is always sooooooooo helpful!  haha  Dawn
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

Drive it like ya stole it.  AND, you did. 

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 05:10:48 PM »

Drive it like ya stole it.  AND, you did.  

Well I do use my stuff as intended.  If it's my boat I'll it up on the beach if need be, if it's the quad I'll drive it over and in anything I think it can take and if it's my truck I'll load the back end with dirt, trees, shrubs or anything else if needed.  I don't baby my stuff but I do try to take care of it, if that makes sense?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:36:09 PM by FishaHallic » Logged
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »

Fish!

Sounds like you had a good time. Next, you need to come south and ride with me in the Big Cypress. If we twist Keeter's arm, he'll probably come too.

~ Anny

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »

Fish!

Sounds like you had a good time. Next, you need to come south and ride with me in the Big Cypress. If we twist Keeter's arm, he'll probably come too.

~ Anny

I had fun but I don't know about floating my quad again  Huh, if that is what happened, I was not going to put my feet out to find anyground to see how deep it was but water was real close to going over the top of the seat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com