Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YFZ450r  (Read 9439 times)
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »

dose anyone know if the '09 engines will fit directly into another frame? like an '05 or a 06?
im building a bike and would love to have the fuel injection.
also if anyone has a stock parts they would like to get rid of fairly cheep let me know. i need everything
thanks!
Ride1Rob
Supreme Member

YFZ 450!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »

From what I've been reading, you want to get an 09 rolling chassie and put an 08 motor in it. It seems the motors for the YZFR's aren't what they were hyped up to be. A few owners are complaining of bog on those as well.

If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »

so the 09's have a better chassis but the 08's have a better engine? the reason i wanted it to be fuel injected was so i could use a power comander, which would eliminate the bogging i would hope. i like to use my computer to manage my bike.
is the '08 a direct bolt into a '09?
thanks
svtbolt04
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »

if you are building a bike from the ground up, why not look into other fuel management programs such as megasquirt. check out yfzcentral and look for megasquirt threads and see what other people have done.

823 for life!

Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:34:42 PM »

this is what i found " For some reason if we don't follow a certain procedure for restarting the engine (whether after a stall or kill using the kill switch) we fry the CDI box."
that seems like a hassel, is there anyway to just take the stock fuel enjection, throttle bodies, ect and put it on a motor that used to be carborated?
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »

There is always a way.
 Would it make sense? Not to me, there would be no performance advantage over a well tuned carb.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:22 PM »

thats true, but with fuel injection you dont have to worry about jetting, or anything of the sort. just plug it into your computer and type in what mods you have or make a custom map and its "exactly" the way it should be.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »

thats true, but with fuel injection you dont have to worry about jetting, or anything of the sort. just plug it into your computer and type in what mods you have or make a custom map and its "exactly" the way it should be.

I've never "worried" about jetting, I have been much more aggravated with my computer than I ever have been with a carb.

Fuel Injection: Better than Carburation?

It's easy to think of Fuel Injection as "an electronic carburetor replacement".  Because it truly is no more or less than that.  It is a device that mixes fuel with the incoming air so that the mixture is ignitable in the combustion chamber.  Fuel Injection can be a wonderful thing, but it isn't as simple, or reliable, as carbureting.  Fact: there is a lot more things that can go wrong with FI than with a Carb.  There is the same power potential with both, too.  Neither one forces air into your engine.  They are both just ways of mixing fuel with what airflow the engine is pulling in.

1. Decades before there was Electronic Fuel Injection, there was Mechanical Fuel Injection, even on some of the first Corvettes, although they weren't the first of their kind.  Both types still fall under the parent category of Fuel Injection.

2. Unless you have a dyno that is A/FR meter equipped, a person isn't going to have clue one about how far out they are from correct jetting, or any idea of how much adjusting it will take to get to correct either.  You could adjust all you want, but without before and after runs on an AFR equipped dyno, you are just throwing darts in the dark.  Venom does have an in-house Dynojet Dyno, along with the $3000 A/FR wideband meter, and the Power Commander tuning setup on the Dynojet's PC.   And it still takes time and experience to dial in a correct A\FR map for a modded machine.

You can make a jetting adjustment for every change of 250 RPM, plus those changes need to be mapped at those RPM increments over discreet throttle settings from near closed throttle to wide open throttle.  This is all because the mapping for 5000 RPM at half throttle is WAY different from 5000 RPM under full throttle, as well as snapped open full throttle from 3000 RPM.  You get the picture.  There are literally hundreds of adjustment points that cover the injector setting mapping from all rpms and all throttle positions.  So, as I said, change ANY component that changes airflow and you need different map settings.

The ATV manufacturers could certainly supply fuel injection units that are self calibrating, changing the maps themselves based on factors like:
Air Density (which takes into account altitude)
Air Flow
Temperature
Oxygen content measured in the exhaust

But they don't.  Their systems are just about as basic as EFI can get, and their self adjusting is VERY limited. So much so that pulling an airbox lid and pulling the spark arrester out of the exhaust REALLY stretches their capability to the end of safe A/FR ranges. In that regard, the FCR carbs currently on machines have a wider range of self adjustment than the current crop of A/FR systems on ATVs. The carb's metering can and does adjust based on mass airflow through the carb's venturi.  More airflow means a stronger vacuum signal, which means more fuel will be drawn into that airflow.  Not a wide range for sure, but you get the jets in a decent range for the current mods of the machine and actual airflow will change what gets metered through it to some degree.

Put more air through the current crop of EFI on the ATVs, and since there is no vacuum sensitive part to the injector's metering, the EFI just basically knows RPM and throttle opening, NOT actual airflow, so it just sprays the same amount that the map tells it to for that RPM and throttle opening until someone dyno AFR's the setup and re-writes the mapping.

Another thing: whatever "MAP" is loaded into the Power Commander module contains several hundred points of jetting to cover the grid of throttle opening VS RPM.  All of those points have a huge range of adjustment when using the PC3 program on a computer, but the controls on

the PC3 module itself only allow for a bulk 10% change of the downloaded base map's curve, and each control "button" makes for bulk changes to approximately 1/3 of all the RPM\Throttle control points in the base map.

So if you get the base map tuned dead on for the center point of all the AVERAGE conditions you ride in, like temp and altitude, and don't change any engine mods, you will have 10% bulk mapping curve adjustability on the controls of the PC3 unit itself.
Once again, with the current crop of basically NON-self-adjusting EFIs on ATVs, all of this is predicated on a correct base mapping as tested and tuned on an A/FR equipped dyno over all throttle settings and RPM's.  Anyway, the primary focus of this thread was to address all the question "How much HP does fuel injection add to the new machines" that I have been getting.

For all the potential benefits of a high end FI system, which the ATV's do not have.  The HP answer is still the same -- no difference at all.

Properly tuned CARB and properly tuned A\FR are equals for power output.

I will say that A/FR, with all its dependence on computer control, injector action, fuel pumps, and filters to save the pumps and injectors, is a far more fragile system than a simple/mechanical pressure differential metering device like a carb.

If my life depended on a particular off road engine's 100% reliability, I’d still take the carb.

The fact is that when an FCR carb is open, only the thin needle remains in the airflow path, but when the throttle body of EFI is open, you still have the whole butterfly and shaft assembly in the flow path.

If someone were to buy a Fuel Injected ATV with the systems they currently outfit them with, and never plan to do any modiifications to the engine, they would be just fine.  Although they would still have more weak points of potential failure liability -- CPUs that can burn out, fuel pumps that fail, electronic injectors that can stick, filters that clog, and TPI's that give the CPU bad readings.  And all of those components are NOT cheap, and NOT cheap to troubleshoot either.  BUT, given the fact that most people buy sport quads with the intent of making them faster, you would need to dyno a\fr re-map for EVERY single mod you do the engine, not to mention immediately needing to buy a PC3 CPU that is programmable in the first place, so it would be best to break the bank and buy everything you ever wanted to put into your engine mods and then custom dyno tune it all in on only one occasion.

So, even if the manufacturers offered better/self adjusting FI systems, they still have all the potential failure areas that were mentioned above.  But the least the manufacturer's could do for sport off-road machines is offer the best of what's available in EFI from the beginning.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »

im not wanting to start a comparison, i personally prefer fuel injection. ive tried both and like the fuel injection alot better. the pc3 is what is was talking about for tuning it. i already know how to make my own maps, not to mention i have about 600 maps already downloaded with different mods for each.
plus i like not having to worry about fludding, constant fuel being provided, ect.

all i wanted to know was will these motors transverse from one frame to the other. if any one knows the answer PLEASE let me know!!!
thanks!
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »

Where do you plan on finding a complete 09 engine? I dont know if it would be a direct bolt in, but I wouldn't think it would take much effort to make it bolt up. Certainly a little more difficult  than jetting a carb though Wink.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
kcabbie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »

lol, ya. i have a friend who owns a atv shop who will be able to hook me up.
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »

All i know is 2 of my friends just bought yfz450rs and they put Dasa pipe with the pc5 and the GYTR filter adapter . Last weekend i got to ride it and it is very impressive in stock form. The stock shocks are the best stock shocks Ive ever ridin. After riding for about an hour my friend says "lets run em", so we lined up on a stretch of sand and by the top of 4th i beat him by 4 bikes. Then he says " lets go over to the rode". we lined up and by the top of 5th he had me by 2 bikes everytime. I was like " what". They are definitely fast then the older yfzs, cause if got an ATP motor that makes 53hp on Mikes dyno. I'm impressed.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
FierZer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:25:19 PM »

if you are architecture a bike from the arena up, why not attending into added ammunition administration programs such as megasquirt. analysis out yfzcentral and attending for megasquirt accoutrement and see what added humans accept done.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »

The difference between on road and off road is power to gearing.

The YFZR at this point is still a work in progress. Its a 44hp quad with a pipe and filter in stock form which is very impressive. The problem is that it is not receptive to huge power gains with the usual upgrades. We have built one and are in the process of the second. There will be a learning curve as with any new product.

Mike

novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:16 PM »

It was the gearing cause i changed my rear tires from 21s to 20s and now when we race i win by a bike, and in the grass or sand i win by even more.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com