Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Riding Area Closed  (Read 2826 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »

I know this is not in Florida but the processes that are at work will only continue to pick up steam if we don't all do something.  The Tellico OHV system in the Nantahala National Forest is one of the best areas for riding east of the Mississippi.  These tree hugging bass-turds make me sick.  It matters not that we have such limited access to the public lands that our tax dollars pay for too.  They want 100% of the land for their use.  Worse of all, the majority of the people that supports these groups don't use the public lands for ANY purpose.  They just want to sit at home and feel secure in the fact that Bambi gets a good night's sleep.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  Updated 4/1/09
CONTACT HEATHER ROYSTON - (678) 463-7376

The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA), the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) and United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA) expressed disappointment today in the Forest Service decision to implement the emergency closure of the Upper Tellico OHV trails on April 1, pending review of the many substantive comments made by OHV enthusiasts.

Gary Parsons, President of SFWDA, said, "We are very disappointed in the Forest Service decision to close the Upper Tellico OHV trails. In formal comments made to the Forest Service, the OHV community and other interested parties clearly demonstrated that such a closure has no scientific basis. Substantive comments provided to the Forest Service included findings of an independent study completed by Caliber Engineering and the recommendations from a report completed by the Forest Service's own Trails Unlimited Team. This is a bad decision and we are left with no other alternative but to pursue legal options."

Carla Boucher, legal counsel for the United Four Wheel Drive Associations, stated, "The Forest Service has failed to make the case with regard to adverse effects and resource damage. There is no immediate threat to public health, safety, or other requisite finding required by such an order. Water quality standards cited by the Forest Supervisor as the basis for such an order are not being exceeded." Boucher added, "In making this decision, the Forest Service must be prepared to explain why similar findings have not been made in the decades of greater environmental impact and they simply have not done that."

Greg Mumm, BRC's Executive Director, stated, "Implementing this closure order threatens the integrity of the ongoing planning process in which the interested public and our federal government have collectively invested significant time and resources."

Mumm concluded, "The economic impact of this closure will be devastating to the area and comes at a time when the current administration is calling for more jobs, economic development, and healthy outdoor recreation. It makes no sense."

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org

United Four Wheel Drive Associations is an international organization comprised of four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, associations, and businesses dedicated to providing community services around the world, education in responsible land use and safe vehicle operation, and protection of our natural resources through conservation practices. 1-800-448-3932. www.ufwda.org

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA) was founded in 1987 to promote responsible land use and to keep public lands accessible for motorized recreation. For more information on the activities and accomplishments of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, please visit www.sfwda.org or contact us at 1483 N. Mt. Juliet Road, PMB # 222, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
dgt714

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »

People wanted change and they are getting it ,good or bad we are stuck for the next 4 years Angry.
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:33:14 AM »

People wanted change and they are getting it ,good or bad we are stuck for the next 4 years Angry.

Yep, your right, no riding areas were lost under the Bush administration  Bonk Bonk
Anoriginal
I CRUSH STUPID PEOPLE!!!
Supreme Member

Git it Rag!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

Yep, your right, no riding areas were lost under the Bush administration  Bonk Bonk

I'm with Fish. This isn't an Obama issue. This is something that's been cooking a long time. Any time you've got public land available for ORV use, you will always have multiple organizations fighting tooth and nail to close it down. In this case, those organizations got ahead of us.

However, with the Blue Ribbon Coalition on board, I don't think it will be too much longer before its open again. Problem is, it will likely never be the same. I'd imagine may of the trails will be closed and increased restrictions placed on the remaining areas.

One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

I saw a great bumper sticker the other day "I will keep my guns and ammo and you can keep the change."

Until people start writing their legislators and commissioners, etc, and expressing their views about having no where to ride and that we pay taxes and vote, they will take more and more of what little we have to ride on.
Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com