Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to stand up the atv in a truck bed  (Read 6161 times)
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »

What should I do? Empty the fluids? Any suggestions?
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »

Turn the fuel off, make sure the tank isnt so full it leaks out the overflow (shouldnt). When you unload it just give it a couple minutes for the oil to settle down. Make sure its secure when transporting, of course.

I have done this with blasters, 400EX's, my banshee and even my LT-R450 which has a tip switch with 0 issues.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

http://www.ltr450hq.net

Steven Billington #29
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:57 AM »

Turn the fuel off, make sure the tank isnt so full it leaks out the overflow (shouldnt). When you unload it just give it a couple minutes for the oil to settle down. Make sure its secure when transporting, of course.

I have done this with blasters, 400EX's, my banshee and even my LT-R450 which has a tip switch with 0 issues.

Ok thanks. Any way thats best for strapping it? I'm strapping two of them back there, 250ex's. I was thinking strap them from the grab bar in the back and have them facing frontwards
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »

Do I need to drain the oil before hauling?
Ranger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »

No, as long as you're not going cross country they should be fine...I say should as I'm not sure how the oil system is set up on that particular quad but I've known people to stand up banshees and warriors for extra space on their trailers and they seemed fine. I've had my Raptor on its tail for 45 minute-1 hour stretches while cleaning the underside, and it still runs good, lost no oil.
Justardnck

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »

What size bed does the pick up have? I have an 8' bed and I carry 1 Yamaha Bruin 4x4 and 1 Yamaha Warrior in the bed just driven straight in. I have a bed extender and I run a sheet of 3/4 plywood over the bed extender into the bed. I run the heavier bike in first then put the lighter bike on the bed extender, I'll have pics up tomorrow because I'm taking both bikes this weekend so they'll both be loaded. I made my bed extender and hitch basket with heavy wall 1/4" thick steel but I know people who use the cheapy Harbor Freight bed extender with no trouble.
mikeE36
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:24:15 AM »

What size bed does the pick up have? I have an 8' bed and I carry 1 Yamaha Bruin 4x4 and 1 Yamaha Warrior in the bed just driven straight in. I have a bed extender and I run a sheet of 3/4 plywood over the bed extender into the bed. I run the heavier bike in first then put the lighter bike on the bed extender, I'll have pics up tomorrow because I'm taking both bikes this weekend so they'll both be loaded. I made my bed extender and hitch basket with heavy wall 1/4" thick steel but I know people who use the cheapy Harbor Freight bed extender with no trouble.

great if you can post those pictures i'd be greatful
Justardnck

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »

There are many many more straps than you see in this pic

Ranger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »

Well that's a hell of a setup haha...I'd hate to try that with my short bed. I just go out and find a bigger trailer when I run outta room.
D33411

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »

Wow!  That is amazing!  Thanks for the pictures because I was trying to visualize it in my head.  Dawn
David_James

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »

nice set up. where can i find one of those extension things for my hitch rack???
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »

lol. id be taking all the sunpass lanes without a sunpass. completely covers your tag

How we ride today determines IF  we can ride tommorow.
'89 240sx sil-coupe (drift car)
'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
'05 Limited Edition Banshee
Justardnck

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »

Well that's a hell of a setup haha...I'd hate to try that with my short bed. I just go out and find a bigger trailer when I run outta room.
My buddy uses his with a short bed Chevy 2500HD, his is just a bed extender that was bought at Harbor Freight then he beefed up the main support because he bottomed it out pulling in and out of parking lots.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39168

Mine is custom made, my truck has a 6" suspension lift so I made a basket with a 6" drop on the hitch so I could fit stuff in it with the tailgate down. Originally I built it to carry the following items and weight: 1 loaded medium cooler, 5 full 5 gallon gas cans and a 5500 KW generator. I knew I'd have about 200lbs in the generator, 210lbs in gas and about 80lbs in the cooler plus I knew I would need to be capable of holding the entire weight of the bike because it would have to hold it while I drove up on it. This is why I made the main support frame with 1/4" thick steel along with the T bar that holds the plywood. The rest of the basket was framed with 1/8" thick 1"X1" and an 1/8" thick 2"X2" cross brace. It holds very well because I drive several miles down rutted out dirt and sugar sand trails with the bikes on it and I have had no problems what so ever.
Justardnck

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »

nice set up. where can i find one of those extension things for my hitch rack???
Sorry, it's custom  Grin

It's a conversation piece too. Everywhere I go I get strange looks and people come up and want to look at it and talk about. I had a sheriff at the YeeHaw Junction Pilot looking at it saying "I don't know if that's legal or not but it sure looks WRONG" I just laughed and told him it was 100% legal and built right.
David_James

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »

its ok i can do custom. my hitch rack was built not bought. i was talkin about the bed extender thing. i saw the link to harbor frieght. i could buy that and with a little cuttin and welding id have it. u came up with a hell of a set up tho. i never have room b/c of my tool box, plus a cooler and gas. i like the idea.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:37:26 AM by David_James » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com