Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Scrub  (Read 15580 times)
cr1

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:16:49 PM »

haven't been to big scrub in two years ,want to go for a couple of days have read about changes.are the campgrounds still open and how about the bathrooms and showers?
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »

go to some private place e ONF sucks and the people that run it

Hate paying to be harassed on land my taxes paid to manage  Cry

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »

Yes, the campground is still there.  The bathrooms and showers are there and well maintained.

If you're breaking the rules, expect to be ticketed.  Even if you're not breaking the rules, you may be stopped.

We've been going for quite a while now, never been ticketed, although I could have been a few times.  The Rangers/Camp Hosts stop us once in while, check our stuff and our permits, then send us on our way.  Each time we go, there's less and less careless, reckless, law-breaking types out there.  The evil government plan to keep the National Forests for generations to come must be working.  Either that or the plan to make places like the MotoPlex succeed seems to be working.  I love the MotoPlex by the way!

Oh and by the way, only auctioneers tax money funded the National Forests.... LOL!   Kiss
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:13:57 PM by SpeedQuest » Logged
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:58 PM »

Thank you SpeedQuest

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
cr1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »

we plan on going during spring break ,you use to be able to reserve a spot in campground is that still feasable?
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:58 PM »

Here you go:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=bscg

Remember kids under 16 must have their ATV certification on them at ALL TIMES.
cr1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »

how are the campgrounds at delancey and how much farther north is it?
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »

If you are going for more than one day, I prefer Delancy, it is about 30-40 miles further north off 19.  There are LOTS more trails with much more variety.  About 150 miles of trails at Delancey vs. 45 miles at Big Scrub.

With that said, the bathrooms at Delancey don't have showers.  We use an RV, so we don't care.  But what you could do, if you don't mind packing up each night, is camp at the Salt Springs Recreation Area.  They have immaculate showers and bathrooms, as well as electrical and water hookups.  A little more expensive, but only about a 10 minute ride from the 316 Trailhead, and a 15 minute ride from the Campground Trailhead.

You can make reservations for Salt Springs Recreation Area on the same website I linked you to before.
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Still two way trails and extremely dangerous.........I wonder when they will realize what all other ATV riding areas are doing. I for one will never take my kids to that place knowing that people can be coming at you from another direction at 50MPH.....THEY MUST BE INSANE!!!

SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »

Still two way trails and extremely dangerous.........I wonder when they will realize what all other ATV riding areas are doing. I for one will never take my kids to that place knowing that people can be coming at you from another direction at 50MPH.....THEY MUST BE INSANE!!!

We should probably just outlaw ATV's then, because the U.S. Forest Service doesn't have any intention in making the trails One-Way.

Are all of your posts just to pregnant dog about that? You could use your energy much more efficiently by starting a letter-writing campaign to the Forest Service rather than coming in here on a semi-private forum and trying to scream, "The SKY is falling, the SKY is falling! People will die!".  Do something about it rather than sniping from a mountain-top.

By the way, we just spent Friday thru Saturday and all day yesterday on those scary, dangerous two-way trails and not once did we run head on into someone.  We should probably go play the lottery now huh?
assbandit

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

AAAAHHHHHH RUN FOR THE HILLS
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:20:02 AM »

YEA I bet ole speedy voted for OBAMA to you think Huh or he is the only one ridin there

2007 rhino 660
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »

YEA I bet ole speedy voted for OBAMA to you think Huh or he is the only one ridin there

Ain't ignorance grand...  Because I support the ONLY real trail system we have left to ride in Florida, I now somehow voted for Obama.

I have probably forgotten more about conservative values and what makes America a great country than you can remember auctioneer.  Please enlighten the rest of us as to how you make the correlation between my ATV trails views and voting for Obama.  Or in language you're better able to understand... Put up or shut-up!
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »

Well speedy

Conservation = RESTRICTIONS when applied by the GOVERNMENT

You apparently are in bed with the GOVERNMENT sport

It just business- they are asses and and lots of folks don't do business with them

You are way to supportive of the MAN to be a good ole boy now you understand SPORT??

2007 rhino 660
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

Well speedy

Conservation = RESTRICTIONS when applied by the GOVERNMENT

It just business- they are asses and and lots of folks don't do business with them

You are way to supportive of the MAN to be a good ole boy now you understand SPORT??

I ask once again for the 'reading-impaired': 
How does my complying with the rules of the U.S. National Forest system indicate that I voted for Obama?

Now don't spend a bunch of time on that one if you can't answer it.  You could just turn it into a personal attack on someone you know nothing about, except the fact that they don't agree with you.  That would be the easy bigoted, racist, old-man approach.  I thought you were a Shriner? I would think you were better than that, but maybe you're not a true shriner.  Now you could try the wiser old man approach, but I doubt you have the patience or the wit for that one. 

Prove me wrong there 'good-ol boy'...

If ANYONE on this forum is IN BED with the government, it's you.
You do enough business with them you got several D-U-N-S Numbers?  So now not only are you a bigot, but a hypocrit?  You don't want the government involved in your pleasures, but you certainly will make your living dealing with them regularly.  You really got to pick your battles better good 'ol boy.  It's toughing seeing things for what they are with egg on your face and in your eyes.
Backwoods Racin
Supreme Member

Backwoods Racin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »

Hey speedy it's spelled (hypocrite).  Kiss Also I am still waiting on your statistics that prove a two way trail is no more dangerous than a one way trail.

Backwoods Racin!
'05 YFZ 450
Travis #6
2007 Thunderbowl Intermediate Champion
2007 SFTL Intermediate Champion
Meghan #6
'04 YFZ 450
www.outlawracin.com
Sponsored by:
Ray's Septic Naples,FL
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »

RACIN he is waitin on OBAMOMA to tell him why it is.

I think you should ride where you want to except paved roads

Speedy you ride there with the ahole ranger and the no kids Gov REGs its good that way you wont be where all the funn cool people are  Kiss

2007 rhino 660
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »

Hey speedy it's spelled (hypocrite).  Kiss Also I am still waiting on your statistics that prove a two way trail is no more dangerous than a one way trail.

If that's the biggest error you can come up with in my presentation then so be it.  As far as statistics go, I learned in college you can make just about any number say what you want it to...  Want proof? In my father's 40 years of trail riding, and in my 25+ years of riding we(and that includes everyone we have ridden with on those adventures) have had no head-on collisions on a two-way trail system.  However, one of our riders did break his arm last year riding on a one-way trail up near Gainesville.  So, there's my version of the statistics...  65 years of combined riding with no problems spanned over probably 20-30 people that we see either regularly or once to twice a year. 

Is the risk higher on a two-way trail, than on a one-way trail...  Maybe. 

Here's some statistics for you...

ATV Related Injuries:
2006:  Reported Deaths: 750  Estimated Deaths: 882  Estimated Emergency Room Injuries: 146,600
Chicken Little Syndrome Advice:  Stay Off ATV's!  They are dangerous! They should be banned!

Pets and Tripping:
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/03/26/pet-cats-dogs-falls.html
8 MILLION people are injured each year by tripping over their cats and dogs.  86,000 require ER attention.
Chicken Little Syndrome Advice: Dogs and Cats are dangerous!  They should be banned!

Slip and Fall Injuries:
Over one million people in the United States experience a significant slip, trip, or fall each year.
An average of 17,000 Americans die from their slip and fall accidents each year
Chicken Little Syndrome Advice:  Don't walk or stand up!  It is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

And for those that REALLY are scared of ATV's and injury,
Why are you putting your children in a Motor Vehicle and driving anywhere at all?
In 2007, over 41,000 people were KILLED in motor vehicles. Only 2.49 MILLION people were injured though.
Chicken Little Syndrome Advice:  We should BAN all automobiles!  Or we should fine & imprison any parent that willingly loads their bundle of joy into one of those rolling deathtraps!

As for you Chip...  Funny how old, grumpy, crotchity, hyporcrites like you usually end up miserable, lonely and hating everything as it's ripped away from them a bit at a time.  See it happen all the time and there's nothing you can do to change it because your too focused on making those around you miserable as well.
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »

Hey Speed  me and my friends ride ONF and alot, and i don't see how you can say you haven't had any close calls because it happens alot. One of my friend went out for a quick warm up ride on our last trip and came back with the front of his ltr all smashed in. It wouldn't be hard to change the trail system to one way and it would be safer for everyone. I'm not trying to argue with you it just seems like you have gotten lucky. As far as i can see we are all on the same team. I'm gunna keep riding ONF cause its all i have and i follow all the rules. It just seems like the people in charge of the ONF don't care about the ATVers.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »

Well speedy like my buddy says " Never argue with an idiot it just brings you to there level" and I am to low already You play there and I will ride private nice places where they make you welcome!!! BE CAREFUL sport with all that experience you are invincible though.  Grin

2007 rhino 660
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
offroadjunkee

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »

haven't been to big scrub in two years ,want to go for a couple of days have read about changes.are the campgrounds still open and how about the bathrooms and showers?

The last time I was up there it was pretty "dead".. Big Scrub grass was 3 ft tall and of the few riders I found up the road they say its nowhere near as good as it used to be. Just a for instance... The rangers heavily patrol the 15 mile trail system and love to write tickets.

Im not one to say because I can see where it works both ways. The rangers can steer you in the right direction (the positive) or they can write a ticket (starting over $100.00).

It's a 50/50 gamble.

I have been riding locally.. and by locally I mean I have been driving to a place near US 98 and it has been pretty good to us. The days of big scrub are somewhat over..... but then again I was also there when night riding was cool and having a group of 10 was the best way to go. I guess it really depends on how you roll.
SpeedQuest

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »

Just for reference, The Centennial Trail is 45 miles long, not 15.  Although Wandering Wiregrass, just up the road is 17 miles long.
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

I ride up there all the time and have only had 3 collisions. If you're scared don't go.
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »

I ride up there all the time and have only had 3 collisions. If you're scared don't go.

You must be speed bumps daddy After 3 crashes I would think normal smart folks would learn something lmao I may be wrong

2007 rhino 660
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

that's how I roll, on the edge of insanity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com