Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Title Problem Question  (Read 9484 times)
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »

So when I got my dirtbike , the guy didnt have the title . but i dont really care about titles ,so i just ran the number up , and made sure it wasnt stolen , and its not , so i traded.

now ive come to a position where i NEED the title , heres my situation:

The guy i got it from , got it from his sisters ex boyfriend .

the sisters ex boyfriend , is the original owner , and the title is under his name.hes the one that lost the title.

i MIGHT be able to get in contact with the sisters ex boyfriend aka original owner , but he lives in michigan now or some sh*t.

what would i have to do to get a title?anyone experience something like this?

I was told i could get a "Power Of Attorney" sheet , but i heard that the person has to come into the dmv with me for that...
heres a screenshot of what the dmv site says to prove its not stolen
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ijko7.jpg

How we ride today determines IF  we can ride tommorow.
'89 240sx sil-coupe (drift car)
'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
'05 Limited Edition Banshee
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »

What year is the bike?

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

Keep me in mind if you figure it out.  I am currently in about the same position as you.  Didn't think it would be too hard to obtain a title.  But, my dealings with the dmv/tag agency have been everything but helpful in resolving this issue in realistic terms.  I bought my dirtbike from a local seller on craigslist and he purchased it in West Virginia and brought it back to FL, but never had it titled. I have contacted the selling dealer and dirtbikes/atv's are not required to be titled in W. Va. and they ran the VIN before they sold it and it had a clear title then.  Now the tag agency says that I have to get the guy I purchased it from and have him go to the tag agency and pay the taxes for the purchase price of and then submit for title.  Then I would have to go back with the guy I purchased it from pay for a transfer of title and also the taxes on the price I purchased it from him for.

Mark
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »

Keep me in mind if you figure it out.  I am currently in about the same position as you.  Didn't think it would be too hard to obtain a title.  But, my dealings with the dmv/tag agency have been everything but helpful in resolving this issue in realistic terms.  I bought my dirtbike from a local seller on craigslist and he purchased it in West Virginia and brought it back to FL, but never had it titled. I have contacted the selling dealer and dirtbikes/atv's are not required to be titled in W. Va. and they ran the VIN before they sold it and it had a clear title then.  Now the tag agency says that I have to get the guy I purchased it from and have him go to the tag agency and pay the taxes for the purchase price of and then submit for title.  Then I would have to go back with the guy I purchased it from pay for a transfer of title and also the taxes on the price I purchased it from him for.

Mark

What year is your bike?

Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »

MY bike is a 2003

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »

The information you need is here.

http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Manuals/DMVProcedures/BTR/tl/TL-44.pdf

I think page 9 is what you need. I can't open it at work to check. Print this out and copy the link and bring both with you to the DMV. This is off of there website. Most of the people that work there don't have a clue about off road vehicles. They can look it up on their computer.
Good Luck.

apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »

Mark

What year is your bike?

Mine is a '06.
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:34:20 AM »

The information you need is here.

http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Manuals/DMVProcedures/BTR/tl/TL-44.pdf

I think page 9 is what you need. I can't open it at work to check. Print this out and copy the link and bring both with you to the DMV. This is off of there website. Most of the people that work there don't have a clue about off road vehicles. They can look it up on their computer.
Good Luck.

Mark

What year is your bike?

Mine is a '06.

Same for you.

buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

PLEASE Don't tell obama what comes after TRILLION

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »

I recently had the same problem with one of my kid's bikes. It was an 04. I contacted the tag office near me and was told that if an OHV had been titled in someone else's name you either have to get that person to get a title and sign it so it can be transferred to you, or you have to go through the court to have them assign ownership to you. I was fortunate and got in touch with the original owner and got him to go to the tag office and get a new copy of the title and sign it over to me. I still have another bike that I can't find the original owner for, so now I have to go to the court to get it taken care of. - this is for bikes made June of 02 or later and have already been titled.

"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »

yes so i guess im going to have to go through the courts

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
xchief1320

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 03:26:32 PM »

If it's legit and not stolen you can go through a title agency. We've used one a few times for car titles, cost 180 or so and took a month,titles came back in our name. I'm sure you'll have one in your area, if not the one we used is Accurate lien sales..
Here is the add i found on in Jacksonville about them. Might be worth a call to see if they can help out of area people.

ACCURATE LIEN SALES

NEED A TITLE? CALL US AT (904)472-4891

NON-USE AFFADAVIT

SPECIALIZING IN:

MECHANIC LIEN SALES
TOWING & STORAGE LIEN SALES
MOTOR CYCLE & ATV TITLES
BOAT & WATERCRAFT TITLES
buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »

might be worth the money to save me the time of going down to the court. Thanks for the info xchief1320

Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »

hmmm that might work.lol.

what all does a court order consist of though?

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
bocephus300

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »

since were talking about titles, i have a question. i have a foreman thats paid off and honda says its a e-title. ten bucks to print. my girlfriends dad bought it from me and we didnt bother with the title but, one messy breakup later. i need the title now transferred over.. should i get it printed then sign it over or do they transfer it to her name?

2006 outlander 800
27 laws
2006 forman 500
26 laws
buythisatvstuff
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »

hmmm that might work.lol.

what all does a court order consist of though?

I asked exactly that to the courthouse over the phone - they won't tell you what to do as they don't "give legal advise"  Roll Eyes  basically you have to go down to the legal library and you can find out what you need to file and then go to the civil division of the county courthouse and file it. You have to appear before a judge to explain the situation. The judge then can assign legal ownership to you and give you a title. If you know an attorney they can hook you up with the proper paperwork and you can just go file it. Like I said it might be worth the $180 to have someone else handle it.

since were talking about titles, i have a question. i have a foreman thats paid off and honda says its a e-title. ten bucks to print. my girlfriends dad bought it from me and we didnt bother with the title but, one messy breakup later. i need the title now transferred over.. should i get it printed then sign it over or do they transfer it to her name?

I'm no title expert, but if he bought it and it's in your name you should get it printed in your name then sign it over. once you give them the signed title it's their job to get it titled in their name. That way it's out of your name and no longer tied to you.

Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »

will any title agency do that for me??

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 11:08:01 AM »

Thanks TRX450.
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 01:22:17 AM »

If it's legit and not stolen you can go through a title agency. We've used one a few times for car titles, cost 180 or so and took a month,titles came back in our name. I'm sure you'll have one in your area, if not the one we used is Accurate lien sales..
Here is the add i found on in Jacksonville about them. Might be worth a call to see if they can help out of area people.

ACCURATE LIEN SALES

NEED A TITLE? CALL US AT (904)472-4891

NON-USE AFFADAVIT

SPECIALIZING IN:

MECHANIC LIEN SALES
TOWING & STORAGE LIEN SALES
MOTOR CYCLE & ATV TITLES
BOAT & WATERCRAFT TITLES

well i called and got a very friendly lady. i guess their price went up , its 197 for offroad vehicle titles , but its all good , i think im going to get it done with them.thanks Smiley

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

money sent to the title agency..... now the worst part...waiting.lol

'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
TurboGSXR

GoDebtFree.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »

Put a mechanics lein on the bike for storage or such.  Apply for it through a reputable company.  The company will apply with the state the state will contact the current owner and the person (usually does not respond as the letter is sent to the address on the title) you will get a legetimite title from the state of Florida.  I have had to do thi twice as the bikes I had I just bought w/ a bill of sale as titles were not reqired then.  This also worked for a 2002 Rincon that I bought and the guy sold it to me with just a bill od sale in 2002 and there was a 1st Lein on it.  I made a claim of $5000 in storage fees and the 1st lein holder Honda Motor Corp claimed they could not recoup there costs because they must pay the $5000 lein so they reliesed the lein

(2) 2003 Honda Rincon 650, DGL, HMF Pipe, Power Now!, HighLifter Springs, HighLifter 2" lift, Gorilla 6"lift, ITP 30" tire combo, Kimpex front and rear bumper, Kimpex front and rear cargo boxes, Radiator spacers, Heavy duty fender cket eliminator, ATV Guru rear hitch, K & N Air
mcrumbaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »

This thread has been great thanks, glad I am not the only one...

I am in a real fine mess with a bike I just bought off ebay. I bought a 2004 rm250 with less than eight hours on it. It was shipped to the dealer from the manufacturer 11/23/03. The dealer was in Minnesota and a man bought it just to turn around two days later and trade it in to another dealer down the road. That dealer had it on their floor for two years till they put it on ebay and the man I bought it from picked it up off their hands. That gentleman tried to ride it and it scared him so he put it in the garage and left it for two years till he listed it on ebay. This is when I bought it just in DEC 2008.

I am from the old school where titles and stickers were not an issue, this being my 12th bike, but 1st since the last ten years of change. I paid my money when I found out about the ocala forest fee and ohv trails. This is when the title thing came in.

I  ran the vin and it has never been registered to anybody, it is still at the first dealer on paper. I have the paper trail showing that everybody has paid for it and everything is on the up and up. I made the visit to the tag office, local bike shops and online to do the research. The man I bought it from I have been told needs to title it and pay his sales tax, then sign the title over to me. This is all fine but now he is finding out that the taxes on this bike are alot and he stopped returning my call or emails. Mn does not require titles, and if he did his part all would be fine.

So my buddy is a mechanic and said he would do the mechanics lean on the bike for me and get the title for me. He stated that the original dealer in Mn could pay the mechanics lean off and pick up the bike so call them and tell them what is going on. I did and they stated they can not get me any paperwork on this and if I did the lean they might be interested in getting the bike back. So now I am screwed....

The title girls at the dealerships are telling me I am out of luck and stuck as I can't sell it either unless to a state that doesn't require a title.

I did harescrambles and just want to get back to my woods to play, I am just at my whits end and can't believe the crap for a vehicle that is not street worthy. Like my buddy at the bike shop told me "the average ohv is sold 13 times before it is scrapped and they collect tax every time".

Can anybody tell me what I can do? What forms do I get to go before the court does anybody know or what specific court. Is that title service for real?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com