Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000 Expedition  (Read 2858 times)
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »

My front right brakes don't release. I took it apart and compressed the calipers, put it back on and pumped the brakes, took it off and compressed then back on to pump the brakes. I did this three times. I then added some fluid and blead the lines and it is still sticking. What is the problem?

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

How hard was it to push the calipers in? Also on ABS vehicles it's not recommended to push the pistons back without cracking the bleeder screw. Forcing fluid back though isn't good for the componets. How dirty is the brake fluid? Has it ever been changed? I bought my truck used and the brake fluid looked like dirty engine oil. I changed it out immediately. It should be clear. The chemical compound of brake fluid draws moisture into the system. If the fluid is very dirty, I would go get a gallon of Castrol LMA DOT 4 brake fluid and a vacuum pump if you don't have one. LMA stands for low moisture absorption. First suck the dirty fluid out of the master cylinder, then refill it. Do one wheel at a time, by cracking the bleeder screw and put the vacuum pump on there and pump all the old fluid out. Pay close attention to the level in the master cylinder, because you don't want it to run dry and get air in the lines. The first wheel will take the longest as you are clearing the lines as well. As you go from wheel to wheel it will take less time. Do each one until they all come out nice and clear. It should take about 3/4 of the gallon and about an hour of your time. It's definitely worth the effort. It helps the brake componets last longer.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:15:05 PM by TRX450R_Racer » Logged

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
TOY_DOCTOR
Supreme Member

RHINO 660, YFZ450, TRX450R

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »

mike, if the piston moves freely then make sure that the caliper slides are free also. the pads will always rub a little.

TOY DOCTOR - MOBILE RV REPAIR, ONAN GENERATORS, ATVs, & MOTORCYCLEs ............I BUY UNWANTED ATV's
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »

mike, if the piston moves freely then make sure that the caliper slides are free also. the pads will always rub a little.

Good call I forgot about that.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Turboderf
Supreme Member

**HONDA** WARRANTY **SUCKS**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

check your brake hoses .. test by getting the brake calb. to stick then open the bleeder if it frees up then it the hoses i had a chevy 1500 doing that last week good luck
outindeltona
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »

could also be a bad master cyl....but sounds like the brake hose has collapsed internally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com