Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for people who know alot about hunting rifles and scopes.  (Read 13044 times)
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »

Hi, my dad just bought me a .30-06 for my 18th B-day. Its still a week before my B-day but the gun shop had a nice used scoped Weatherby for really good deal. My question is, the scope on it has a scope cover that goes over both ends. The end closest to your eye has a yellow lens and the other one is clear. Is this for low light conditions? I kow yellow sunglass lenses and goggle lenses are for low light conditions so I assume this is too?
megapurt400

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:02:56 PM »

Yellow is set up for low - no reflection. So you do not see your own eyeball when looking in the glass. You can see better in the low light hours if the tube is bigger. The tube between the two occular glass pieces. So, the larger the diameter of the straight tube the better the low level light you can see in.

Any film on any glass is made for reflection and not general occular enhancement. To achieve occular enhancement you must incorporate night vision or magnification. Nerd

30-06 baddass by the way! I love that particular rifle. My favorite is the AK-47 unfortunately you cant eat much of the meat when you are finished killing it Roll Eyes
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »

Yellow is set up for low - no reflection. So you do not see your own eyeball when looking in the glass. You can see better in the low light hours if the tube is bigger. The tube between the two occular glass pieces. So, the larger the diameter of the straight tube the better the low level light you can see in.

Any film on any glass is made for reflection and not general occular enhancement. To achieve occular enhancement you must incorporate night vision or magnification. Nerd

30-06 baddass by the way! I love that particular rifle. My favorite is the AK-47 unfortunately you cant eat much of the meat when you are finished killing it Roll Eyes

uhmmm kind of. The yellow lens is for low light but I recommend only at dusk and not dawn. If you can see your own eyeball in an optic then your eye relief is messed up. From experience I will tell you that you should take the yellow lens off if you can. If you are good shooter it will mess up your sight picture and alignment because of the intensity.

Thug Nasty
1 good thing about being bull-legged is you never need a belt.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »

thats what i was thinking. i figured itd mess with it somehow. i wont use it then. unless i just absolutely have to.
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:01:50 PM »

thats what i was thinking. i figured itd mess with it somehow. i wont use it then. unless i just absolutely have to.

Do you know how to get a true zero(calibrate) on a scope? If I was you I recommend shooting with iron sights until you can no kidding hit everything you see in your sights. It is harder to hit your target with a scope then with iron sights believe it or not. Some guys mount up a scope and just start shooting. There are too many variables involved when a scope gets involved. My suggestions.

-Get a large washer size cardboard box.
-draw a circle that is 2 inches wide all around on it
-take 3 well aimed shots on it then mark them (your shots should be in a circle no bigger then a tennis ball)
-adjust sights (if you have adjustable sights)
-take another well 3 aimed shots and if your sights or scope is any good you should be dead on target

Thug Nasty
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:30 PM »

well, i dont have iron sights. its a hunting rifle. im taking it tomorrow to sight it in. by a 2 inch wide circle, you mean a big circle around the whole box or a circle with a 2" diameter?

and when i sight it in, how do you do that?
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »

a circle no bigger then 2 inches in diameter. Naturally you want a black circle on a white back ground. Step away from the circle 36 paces and fire. Your scope should be adjustable for up and down and right and left. Only in a perfect world can a scope be bolted to a rifle and it fires where the cross hairs are. PM me were you are shooting and I might be able to teach you some stuff on the proper way to shoot.

Thug Nasty
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »

a circle no bigger then 2 inches in diameter. Naturally you want a black circle on a white back ground. Step away from the circle 36 paces and fire. Your scope should be adjustable for up and down and right and left. Only in a perfect world can a scope be bolted to a rifle and it fires where the cross hairs are. PM me were you are shooting and I might be able to teach you some stuff on the proper way to shoot.

were goin out to some property our church owns in the woods here in Brevard county. Cocoa to be exact.

i have a 36"x36" target that i can put a circle on. so, i need to walk 36 steps/yards to shoot? then where will that be zeroed in at? 100yds?
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:43:09 AM »

were goin out to some property our church owns in the woods here in Brevard county. Cocoa to be exact.

i have a 36"x36" target that i can put a circle on. so, i need to walk 36 steps/yards to shoot? then where will that be zeroed in at? 100yds?

- take 3 well aimed shots to get your group you then adjust your scope from these 3 shots to get you in the center
-take another 3 shots to get your next group, if your 3 shots are in the center then take another 4 shots to confirm and if they are not then repeat the first step.

Now you are zeroed at 100 yards and the only adjustment you have to make is elevation (not needed in Florida) or wind calls to justify for the wind. Im not going to insult your intelligence but do you know that a bullet takes a path similar to a football thrown from the 1 yard line to the next end-zone 99 yards away?

Thug Nasty
Anoriginal

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

Cheesy Rolling on the Floor Laughing Looney Bonk

This is too funny!

Fox17 - Congrats on the rifle. Send me a PM and I'll guide you (correctly) on setting things up.

God this was a funny thread.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:56:42 AM by Anoriginal » Logged
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »

This is too funny!

Fox17 - Congrats on the rifle. Send me a PM and I'll guide you (correctly) on setting things up.

Why cant you just post it up? I would like to see how your input varies from mine and make sure you know what you are talking about because I know a thing or two about long range/quick acquisition Wink

Thug Nasty
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

In agree with Erbilibuc. I would like to know another way to properly site this rifle. I just think the response was uncalled for. This has been discussed before and I remember Anoriginal was versed in this. But he could be a litle more respectful about it. 

This is too funny!

Why cant you just post it up? I would like to see how your input varies from mine and make sure you know what you are talking about because I know a thing or two about long range/quick acquisition Wink

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
Anoriginal

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »

Fox17 is calling me on the phone. I'll take care of him, trust me.

No disrespect meant. I honestly did/do find it funny.
megapurt400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »

Fox17 is calling me on the phone. I'll take care of him, trust me.

No disrespect meant. I honestly did/do find it funny.

And.............. the proper way for us to site our rifles in is.................?

I am a little curious myself in how it would differ. Correctly, not from a website, but from experience is appreciated. While you are at it could you please inform us of your background in the expertise of this procedure. Mine is really nothing other than having had and sighting in for 30 years as well as being a forward scout in the U.S. Army, I am just so freakin interested. It is actually killing me to know the correct way to do it. PLEASE TELL US!!!
Anoriginal

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »

I PM'ed Fox 17. If he wants to, he can share the info with you all. I am sure you all have tons of experience, etc. But, there's much more to it than described above and definitely better/more correct ways to do this.  Wink

Forward scout huh? Good for you. Spent a lot of time shooting distance?
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »

- take 3 well aimed shots to get your group you then adjust your scope from these 3 shots to get you in the center
-take another 3 shots to get your next group, if your 3 shots are in the center then take another 4 shots to confirm and if they are not then repeat the first step.

Now you are zeroed at 100 yards and the only adjustment you have to make is elevation (not needed in Florida) or wind calls to justify for the wind. Im not going to insult your intelligence but do you know that a bullet takes a path similar to a football thrown from the 1 yard line to the next end-zone 99 yards away?

I believe that thar is called a parabola!   

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Anoriginal

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 01:23:27 PM »

But, everyone understands that a bullet does not rise once it leaves the barrel of a gun unless that barrel is elevated right? I mean, to suggest otherwise is contrary to the proven laws of physics. To say a bullet shot from a horizontal barrel actually rises and then drops like something thrown would suggest the bullet somehow overcomes gravity itself.

Now that would be magic. Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:30:59 PM by Anoriginal » Logged
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »

But, everyone understands that a bullet does not rise once it leaves the barrel of a gun unless that barrel is elevated right? I mean, to suggest otherwise is contrary to the proven laws of physics. To say a bullet shot from a horizontal barrel actually rises and then drops like something thrown would suggest the bullet somehow overcomes gravity itself.

Now that would be magic. Grin

So are you contradicting the forward scout or are you sayin that a bullet fired from a horizontal barrel does NOT fly like a football from the 1 yard line to the 99 yard line? I mean , i have  a pretty good understanding of simple physics and would have to lean more towards your theory.

I guess you could have a strong enough arm to throw a football 100 yards, from a perfectly level and horizontal release, and only have it drop, right? Maybe that is what he was sayin. Would that be a half a prabola?

So is it possible, with enough gun powder to shoot a bullet 100 yards , from a horizontal barrel, without any drop? I mean not even a cat hairs worth of drop? 

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Anoriginal

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

If that forward scourt is claiming that a bullet rises out of the barrel, I am definitely saying he's wrong. But I don't think the forward scout guy was saying that. erbilabac is the one who, I believe, said the bullet rises.

Drop is a given.... in a football or a bullet. While greater velocity succumbs to gravity over a longer period of time than slower velocity, you will still get drop. So, I suppose you could get a load that was as close to flat as you can imagine at 100 yards but, there would always be a bit of drop. Wink
megapurt400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »

If that forward scourt is claiming that a bullet rises out of the barrel, I am definitely saying he's wrong. But I don't think the forward scout guy was saying that. erbilabac is the one who, I believe, said the bullet rises.

Drop is a given.... in a football or a bullet. While greater velocity succumbs to gravity over a longer period of time than slower velocity, you will still get drop. So, I suppose you could get a load that was as close to flat as you can imagine at 100 yards but, there would always be a bit of drop. Wink

Touche' - I did not imply that a bullet would or would not drop, seeing as how I have never actually seen a bullet in slow motion going down any particular fotballfield, I could not attest to the fact that while a bullet from a gun would rise or fall.

I simply am stating that with a 30-06 the comment of think of it like a football does not apply to this particular weapon at 100yards. A football thrown from a human will have to arch to reach the end of the field. In the 1700's they called this volleying rounds. Ergo they had made weapons with "volley sites" in that era for this exact purpose. How ever with a 30-06 the maximum range:

Elevation(deg.) Range(yds.)  Flight Time(sec.)  Final Velocity(f.p.s.)  Angle of Fall(deg.)
       5               2464               7.56                    588                       11.25
      10              3273              12.65                    447                       24.1
      20              4097              20.95                    390                       47.68
      30              4413              27.91                    405                       62.40
      34              4455              30.2                      416                       66.15
      35              4456              31.06                    417                       67.4
      40              4413              34.01                    429                       71.35

As for the arch question, a bullet seems to rise as the trajectory of the rifle is raised for further targets and your sight line is constant at eye-level. With this said I the Forward Scout am simply saying at 100 yards with a 30-06 you do not need to raise it above the target to hit it. It will smash it into a thousand pieces just fine from 100 yards perfectly level. And whoever asked about my experience with distance shots. Two words, 11 confirmed, Sir.
Anoriginal

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »

Huh Um, thanks for proving my point for me. Again, a bullet never rises coming from the barrel unless the barrel is elevated......just like I said in the beginning. And you should forward scout my prior post...I never suggested you said the bullet rises out of the muzzle. In fact, I suggested the opposite.

Oh, and simple physics dictates the barrel is elevated to make a zero shot at 100 yards. It's impossible otherwise. Granted, the elevation and drop are negligible.

Great cut and paste though.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:18:54 PM by Anoriginal » Logged
yfz450runner

live to ride, skip work as much as possible

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »

In agree with Erbilibuc. I would like to know another way to properly site this rifle. I just think the response was uncalled for. This has been discussed before and I remember Anoriginal was versed in this. But he could be a litle more respectful about it. 

This is too funny!

It was only a matter of time before he opened his big mouth. i am suprised Anoriginal took so long to post. Watch out, he thinks he knows it all and everyone else is just stupid to him. What a bone head!!! Lecture Smash
foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »

I over heard a guy at the gun range say " a bullet rises 0 to 50yds" .
Hmm , gravity has no affect below 50?

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
Anoriginal

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »

This is too funny!

It was only a matter of time before he opened his big mouth. i am suprised Anoriginal took so long to post. Watch out, he thinks he knows it all and everyone else is just stupid to him. What a bone head!!! Lecture Smash

Well then. Seeing how I must be wrong in some manner....why don't you point out just what it is that I said wrong? Obviously, you're far more knowledgable on this subject than I. So, lets hear it or are you just going to make chicken comments behind the keyboard. As I recall, I've dealt with you before and made you look quite foolish on this subject. You think you'd learn.

Truth of the matter is, I am right. 100% right and that's a fact. Nothing is subject to more scrutiny these days that the use of firearms in any manner. I am extremely active in the area of firearms and the rights of gun owners. So, anytime I have an opportunity to correct something that's wrong or guide someone in the right direction...I do it. Which, incidentally, is exactly what I did in this case. I sent Fox 17 a very detailed PM. Hopefully, he'll use the advice.

I over heard a guy at the gun range say " a bullet rises 0 to 50yds" .
Hmm , gravity has no affect below 50?

You can lead them to water Robert, but you can't make them drink. Ha ha!
megapurt400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »

Huh Um, thanks for proving my point for me. Again, a bullet never rises coming from the barrel unless the barrel is elevated......just like I said in the beginning. And you should forward scout my prior post...I never suggested you said the bullet rises out of the muzzle. In fact, I suggested the opposite.

Oh, and simple physics dictates the barrel is elevated to make a zero shot at 100 yards. It's impossible otherwise. Granted, the elevation and drop are negligible.

Great cut and paste though.  Thumbs Up

So super fly , we have never been in a forum together or discussed anything remotely close to something resembling anything you might know or I might know, In fact I don't know you. As for the forward scout comments of sarcasim I would say only this, Stand behind our Armed forces, if that does not suit you try standing in front of them.

I was not arguing what you said in fact it was quite the opposite, I was in total agreeance, you obviously have something to prove so I will be the gentleman and bow out of this confrontation. Have a great night.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:32:10 PM by megapurt400 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com