Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: street legal atv  (Read 14595 times)
butch329

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:48:37 AM »

i heard you can street legalize a atv but is it the same standards as for a dual purpose bike and who make dot approved tires for one
94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »

I'm not sure if this is correct but you might need to get it registered out of state and then transfer the registration to FL. There was a Banshee on here that had the same thing done.

Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!
megapurt400

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »

94Hardbody4x4 got it right. You have to register it in a state that allows it then transfer the title / registration here. But you better hurry. Federal law is getting ready to supercede state laws in January and no ATV will be allowed to be street legal anywhere.

Thank Charlie Christ for that one. He was the leader in the whole thi ng since Florida is ranked second in the world for ATV sales. California being first.
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:40:12 PM »

new mexico and arizona will let you get plates for an atv. You are only supposed to ride them on certain roads and at certain times but you will have plates and no cop in florida will know anyways.

Thug Nasty
1 good thing about being bull-legged is you never need a belt.
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:25 AM »

94Hardbody4x4 got it right. You have to register it in a state that allows it then transfer the title / registration here. But you better hurry. Federal law is getting ready to supercede state laws in January and no ATV will be allowed to be street legal anywhere.

Thank Charlie Christ for that one. He was the leader in the whole thi ng since Florida is ranked second in the world for ATV sales. California being first.
State laws can be passed that are less restrictive than Federal law, but not more restrictive.
p.s. it does'nt matter if it was previously registered in another State it still wont be legal in Florida Sad

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »

State laws can be passed that are less restrictive than Federal law, but not more restrictive.
p.s. it does'nt matter if it was previously registered in another State it still wont be legal in Florida Sad

yeah but Florida cops will see a license plate from another state and think its ok.  My point is that it will "look" legit:)

Thug Nasty
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »

Its not the registration, Its the title. To make an ATV street legal you have to get the "off road" on the title off and the "motorcycle" on. I have been looking into it for a while and I guess now have to do it before the end of the year.

To start, you have to make the necessary changes (lights, turn sig, mirrors, wheels and tires) to DOT specs. Then take a long ass road trip to a state that will inspect the quad and change the title to a motorcycle title. At that point you will have to pay all the titling fees and taxes. Then you can re-register the quad back here in Florida along with the titling fees and taxes again, the idiots at your local tag office wont know the difference because the title is now a motorcycle title. The only catch is.... If it was previously registered in Florida it will set a red flag and may complicate the whole registration process.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
erbilabuc
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:49 AM »

Its not the registration, Its the title. To make an ATV street legal you have to get the "off road" on the title off and the "motorcycle" on. I have been looking into it for a while and I guess now have to do it before the end of the year.

To start, you have to make the necessary changes (lights, turn sig, mirrors, wheels and tires) to DOT specs. Then take a long ass road trip to a state that will inspect the quad and change the title to a motorcycle title. At that point you will have to pay all the titling fees and taxes. Then you can re-register the quad back here in Florida along with the titling fees and taxes again, the idiots at your local tag office wont know the difference because the title is now a motorcycle title. The only catch is.... If it was previously registered in Florida it will set a red flag and may complicate the whole registration process.

but..........
there is a farm vehicle clause and I have shown the paperwork and links to a few members of this site. State of Florida will allow you to register an off road vehicle with plates for the purpose of "temporary on-road use". You can either dig through my posts from back in 2003-2004 or just go to any dmv in Ocala or Polk County and they should be able to help you. I was allowed to do it but I actually knew back then someone that owned an Orange grove in Lake Placid but then the dreaded :08 accident happened and there went my Banshee.

Thug Nasty
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:33 AM »

but..........
there is a farm vehicle clause and I have shown the paperwork and links to a few members of this site. State of Florida will allow you to register an off road vehicle with plates for the purpose of "temporary on-road use". You can either dig through my posts from back in 2003-2004 or just go to any dmv in Ocala or Polk County and they should be able to help you. I was allowed to do it but I actually knew back then someone that owned an Orange grove in Lake Placid but then the dreaded :08 accident happened and there went my Banshee.

Yes, but not all of us here have friends that own Orange Groves, Live in Ocala or want a slow moving vehicle. And I do believe a slow moving vehicle is only allowed on certain roads in certain areas. I don't think I would be successful convincing a Sunrise PD officer that I'm on my way home from picking oranges at 2am.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »

The state defines an ATV as below:

317.0003  Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:

(1)  "ATV" means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator and with no passenger.

As a law enforcement officer who enforces ATV laws, I can tell you it's not possible to make an ATV street legal in this state. Adding turn signals, rear view mirrors and changing tires/rims does not change the fact of what the vehicle is designed for, which is clearly stated in the legal description and the vehicle's title.

Used as a farm implement, the vehicle must be actively used for agricultural purposes during daylight hours on, or travelling to another Ag property. It must be equipped with a slow moving triangle and have proper lighting and reflectors.

Those counties that didn't opt out of 316.2123(1) allow ATV operation on unpaved public roads during daylight hours, as long as you register your ATV and have the registration decal displayed.

The state website, floridaohv.org , can answer most of your questions and it's right from the horse's mouth, not just someone's opinion.

I was also asked about law enforcement being able to ride on public roads, so included the below:

316.21265  Use of all-terrain vehicles, golf carts, low-speed vehicles, or utility vehicles by law enforcement agencies.--

(1)  Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement agency in this state may operate all-terrain vehicles as defined in s. 316.2074, golf carts as defined in s. 320.01(22), low-speed vehicles as defined in s. 320.01(42), or utility vehicles as defined in s. 320.01(43) on any street, road, or highway in this state while carrying out its official duties.

(2)  Such vehicles must be clearly marked as vehicles of a law enforcement agency and may be equipped with special warning lights, signaling devices, or other equipment approved or authorized for use on law enforcement vehicles.

(3)  The vehicle operator and passengers must wear safety gear, such as helmets, which is ordinarily required for use by operators or passengers on such vehicles.

trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 10:32:25 PM »

The state defines an ATV as below:

317.0003  Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:

(1)  "ATV" means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator and with no passenger.

As a law enforcement officer who enforces ATV laws, I can tell you it's not possible to make an ATV street legal in this state. Adding turn signals, rear view mirrors and changing tires/rims does not change the fact of what the vehicle is designed for, which is clearly stated in the legal description and the vehicle's title.

Used as a farm implement, the vehicle must be actively used for agricultural purposes during daylight hours on, or travelling to another Ag property. It must be equipped with a slow moving triangle and have proper lighting and reflectors.

Those counties that didn't opt out of 316.2123(1) allow ATV operation on unpaved public roads during daylight hours, as long as you register your ATV and have the registration decal displayed.

The state website, floridaohv.org , can answer most of your questions and it's right from the horse's mouth, not just someone's opinion.

I was also asked about law enforcement being able to ride on public roads, so included the below:

316.21265  Use of all-terrain vehicles, golf carts, low-speed vehicles, or utility vehicles by law enforcement agencies.--

(1)  Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, any law enforcement agency in this state may operate all-terrain vehicles as defined in s. 316.2074, golf carts as defined in s. 320.01(22), low-speed vehicles as defined in s. 320.01(42), or utility vehicles as defined in s. 320.01(43) on any street, road, or highway in this state while carrying out its official duties.

(2)  Such vehicles must be clearly marked as vehicles of a law enforcement agency and may be equipped with special warning lights, signaling devices, or other equipment approved or authorized for use on law enforcement vehicles.

(3)  The vehicle operator and passengers must wear safety gear, such as helmets, which is ordinarily required for use by operators or passengers on such vehicles.

Whats the difference, I see Harleys and home made street bikes converted into 3 and 4 wheelers driving down the street legally all the time that fall into that criteria. The next fad is going to be ATV's street legal from the manufactures, your already seeing them now. Pretty soon they have Enduro models like they do for the Dirt bikes too.
Maybe then the police will start fighting real crime!

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »

Your right Trx#9.....the last few Harleys I saw had "off-highway vehicle" listed on the title and were designed to use low pressure tires.....My bad.......

Street tires are no problem getting. Through an Axle and front end a-arm conversion on an Enduro bike and you have yourself a street legal quad.
Or  attach a mower blade underneath a quad and be legal. Wink

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »

I wish the manufactures would produce a street legal ATV. Then it would have a tag, insurance, and a licensed rider on it. Everyone could just ride to the track or mud.

trx#9
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »

I wish the manufactures would produce a street legal ATV. Then it would have a tag, insurance, and a licensed rider on it. Everyone could just ride to the track or mud.

I think its coming, one of these days.

Fuzzy Pickle race team!
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »

I just figured out how to get around all this.

1="50 inches or less in width"........Put wider tires or wider A-arms on

2="designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires".....install DOT approved 14" wheels and tires.

3="handlebars for steering control".......Build an adapter to install a steering wheel. If you plan on riding on trails or track, just take your handlebars with you and have a quick connect to take off the steering wheel and attach the handlebars.

The way it says in the description is that it must have all of those features to be considered an ATV.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »

lol, you can register it without a steering wheel. handlebars are accepted. That would be cool to see though

94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »

Can Am has already done it with 3 wheels.

yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »

Just type in street legal atv on youtube. Here is one.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
megapurt400

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

I meant he lobbied for the federal law to be passed not local or state. I understad federal supercedes state.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com