Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Rifle Would You Buy?  (Read 18797 times)
Sarasota EX

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »

Hey. The 270 is to small. you will have to be a perfect shot with well placement for the kill. ?More deer have been poached with a 22 mag than any other gun and it kills them graveyard dead. I shot one last season with a 257 Roberts at 300 yards and it licked dirt on the spot.YZF your an idiot stick to talking about things you know.As for one kicking up and not the rest thats plain stupid and shows how stupid you are when it comes to ballistics. I have a ruger 7mag and like it but dont try to hunt it in thick stuff with it because of deflection.
Anoriginal

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »

Great article on "brush guns" from a very noted source.

http://www.sixguns.com/range/Brsh.htm
yfz450runner

live to ride, skip work as much as possible

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »

Hey. The 270 is to small. you will have to be a perfect shot with well placement for the kill. ?More deer have been poached with a 22 mag than any other gun and it kills them graveyard dead. I shot one last season with a 257 Roberts at 300 yards and it licked dirt on the spot.YZF your an idiot stick to talking about things you know.As for one kicking up and not the rest thats plain stupid and shows how stupid you are when it comes to ballistics. I have a ruger 7mag and like it but dont try to hunt it in thick stuff with it because of deflection.

Its one thing to have an argument with someone who is knowledgable (anoriginal) and its another to have an argument with a jack_$$ like you. When you grow up and can understand this thread then maybee just maybee you can voice you opinion. in the mean time F__K OFF!!
Once again xfactor take up anoriginal about shooting all types of guns so you can make a good decision on what to buy!!!!!!
Sarasota EX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 05:03:54 PM »

YZF you know as much about guns as Ted Kennedy.I agee with what Anoriginal has to say he sems very knowlegable on this topic,But I still think your an IDIOT.
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »

Daisy 880 powerline, 10 pump!   Shocked

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
Sarasota EX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »

Thumbs Up
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle. you'll shoot your eye out kid. ho ho ho merry christmas.

444 marlin. my favorite rifle. my dad has it. very powerfull. not good for hunting small game. more like elephants. Wink

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/444.aspx
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:54:26 PM by NYRAPTOR » Logged
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »

I personally shoot a Weatherby 7mm Mag. It suits me and I'm very confident in it in all of my hunting situations. I've hunted in several states and Canada and the 7mm Mag has never let me down. I have several rifles of various calibers, but whenever I go hunting, I always grab the trusty Weatherby. The exception to that is if I'm hunting in really thick cover, then I go for the Marlin 30/30.
I don't care much for the 30.06, but I think that's mainly from the rifles I've owned in that caliber more so than the cartridge itself. There is something to be said for availibilty of 30.06 ammo though. Like someone said earlier, you can literally buy 30.06 shells everywhere you go. 
The .270 seems to be a very controversial round. People either love it or hate it. I've seen guys almost fist fight at hunt camps while arguing the pro's and con's of the .270. I personally don't have an opinion on the .270 because I've never hunted with one. One of my longtime hunting buddies has shot one for years and loves it, although I will say we trailed some deer for a very long way for him. But, in fairness, that has just as much to do with the shooter and shot placement as the gun.
The main I've seen over the years is guys will blow their whole wad buying a nice rifle, and then put a discount dime store scope on it. It always made laugh to see a guy on an expensive hunt, toting a good quality rifle with an el cheapo $99 Tasco scope on it.  My advice, no matter which gun you choose is to not skimp on the optics and put the very best scope you can afford on it.
Just my $.02
HondaATC

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »

Marlin .45-70 carbine is a nice brush gun and promises to put a nice sized hole in whatever its aimed at when you pull the trigger.

1996 Laeger TRX250R
1985 CR500 powered ATC250R
1986 ATC250R
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

I love a good beer buzz early in the morning

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »

Browning A-bolt 270
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:20 AM »

The .270 is a nice round; it's quite capable of killing any deer.  The rifles tend to be a bit lighter since you're not shooting a magnum round and the recoil is fairly soft.  That's why all the women and children in our camp used the .270.    Rolling on the Floor Laughing Rolling on the Floor Laughing Moon

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

The .270 is a nice round; it's quite capable of killing any deer.  The rifles tend to be a bit lighter since you're not shooting a magnum round and the recoil is fairly soft.  That's why all the women and children in our camp used the .270.    Rolling on the Floor Laughing Rolling on the Floor Laughing Moon
I would like to take you to Maine during rifle season sometime. I will carry my .270, and you your 7mm mag. Either your going to be a hundred yarder ( leave the truck and turn back after a hundred yards and sit in the truck) OR, your arms are going to be 10" longer than when you left the truck.
 If you have never hunted in the north east, You have NO idea. Maine is VERY hard to hunt, nothing but mountain after mountain and they are not easily walked carrying nothing let alone a rifle.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »

It was a joke, Don.  In any event, I would still rather take my 7.  Ever hear of a sling?  On top of that, ever try to kill a deer on the next ridge, 300+ yards away with a .270?  Didn't think so.  That's what makes the 7 such a nice round; killing power at long ranges without having to adjust your elevation 11 inches and versatile enough to work well in the woods.  On top of that, a Model 700 7mm Rem Mag is not much heavier than a Model 700 .270; maybe a pound or two.  By the way, I've been to Maine (latest trip just last July) and bicycled those mountains so I'm pretty sure I can walk them just fine.   Wink

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »

We need to meet at the range and settle this.   digginfool

Why are you being mean to Busta anyway? He only answered the question in the subject matter. When it is all said and done does it really matter? What you are comfortable with and proficient with is the answer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:21:01 PM by Busta Nutt » Logged
Anoriginal

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »

Hey fastrnik, is it a Weatherby in 7mm Rem Mag or a 7mm Wby Mag?

And you guys all know there is truly no such thing as a "brush gun" right?   Wink

I shot some today actually. Shot my .257 Roberts, a .300 Win Short Mag and a 221 Rem. Fireball.  Grin

Always a fun time.
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »

We need to meet at the range and settle this.   digginfool

Why are you being mean to Busta anyway? He only answered the question in the subject matter. When it is all said and done does it really matter? What you are comfortable with and proficient with is the answer.

HuhHuh

Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

you called Busta out. you even saw it fit to put 5 smiley gimmicks in there.
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »

Are you sheeeet faced?

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2008, 10:10:55 PM »

It was a joke, Don.  In any event, I would still rather take my 7.  Ever hear of a sling?  On top of that, ever try to kill a deer on the next ridge, 300+ yards away with a .270?  Didn't think so.  That's what makes the 7 such a nice round; killing power at long ranges without having to adjust your elevation 11 inches and versatile enough to work well in the woods.  On top of that, a Model 700 7mm Rem Mag is not much heavier than a Model 700 .270; maybe a pound or two.  By the way, I've been to Maine (latest trip just last July) and bicycled those mountains so I'm pretty sure I can walk them just fine.   Wink
Actually YES I have shot a deer 300 yards away with my .270 without a problem.
 A sling helps, but doesnt change the fact of the extra weight. You say only a pound or two, but that makes a difference at the end of the day.
I think I am safe to say, you never hunted on chairback mountain, only due to the fact that you arent walking much in rifle season, more like crawling.Same with B-pond, or the Sterling range.
 Sure there are areas that are walkable, but to get to them with snow on the ground AINT gonna happen.
 Anyway, I would like to get with ya sometime when you are planning on going again depending on where or what area you go to.
 We go the Katadin ironwood forest area way up by the "golden road", nearest town is Brownville.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
fastrnrik
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »

Hey fastrnik, is it a Weatherby in 7mm Rem Mag or a 7mm Wby Mag?

And you guys all know there is truly no such thing as a "brush gun" right?   Wink

I shot some today actually. Shot my .257 Roberts, a .300 Win Short Mag and a 221 Rem. Fireball.  Grin

Always a fun time.

I should have been specific. It's a 7mm Rem Mag.

You have a short mag? What's the deal with the short mag cartridges? Good, bad? Better than normal magnums? Just curious.  
Anoriginal

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 11:31:17 PM »

fastrnrik -

I have a few of the Short Mags and I really like them. I'm especially fond of the 300WSM. It's got excellent ballistics across the board and, with equal bullets, it carries more velocity and energy than the 300 win mag or the 7 mag from muzzle to the end.

I've been quite impressed with them so far. I've got two 300WSM's (one in Winchester Mod 70 Synth/stainless and one in a Kimber 8400) and a 325 WSM in a Browning A-Bolt. I haven't hunted with the 325...yet. But, I've been happy with it at the range.

I've killed lots of deer with the 300WSM's and really had great luck. All of the WSM and WSSM cartridges are essentially factory wildcat rounds. Cool stuff and fun to shoot too.
Busta Nutt
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »

Are you sheeeet faced?

I was when I typed that  Shocked
LostCause
Supreme Member

SSQSA is coming back!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »

When I hunted I had 3 guns that I choose from.

12 gage pump 3 1/2 shell
30 / 30
Rem 7 mil

12 gage is used for dog hunting

30 /30 is used for in the woods.  I do not have a scope on it so the target is easy to find when the gun is brought up.  Longest kill shot with this gun was 130 yards (iron sights)

7 mill is used for open fields.  Longest kill with this gun was 340 yards.

I have hunted all my life and have a variety of guns to choose from.  But it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.

For example.  My dad has a 30.06 and that is his choice riffle.  He has taught his self how to shoot with it.  One Day I thought I would try it.  So I take a couple shots with it to see where the scope was with my eyes.  First thing I noticed was that the hairs were wrong.  I mentioned it to him and he couldn't see it cause he was use to it.  Now I know that is wrong but my point is this.  You get accustomed to the equipment you use.

We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »

Hey Anoriginal.  Is there any truth to the rumor that rifles chambered for short mags are heavier due to the extra metal required in the chamber area and reinforcement of the action? 

Anoriginal

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »

diggin-

I hadn't heard that. But, when I read it, I went back and checked weights. They make no varied change in weight between the short mag and regular calibers. However, that weight might have been made up in other places besides the chamber. Interesting theory tough. I am definitley going to research it a bit more. Grin

I do know this. The reason the short mags work so well isn't because of more powder. For instance, the 300 WSM carries less the the standard .300 Win Mag. However, the difference is the fact that the WSM calibers burn less powder more efficiently. This results in higher performance. I find the WSM's to be pretty cool for this reason.

Hornaday actually builds a series of rounds they call "light magnum" for several calibers, including the 30-06. With these rounds, the performance on the 30-06 goes through the roof! Same theory is used in the light magnum cartridge as in the WSM. Change in powder burn rate, etc. and you get more efficiency and thus more power. Take this technology to the extreme and you get into you belted magnum calibers (like a .458 Win Mag, etc.). Granted, head space and overall size also dictates the belt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com