Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Rifle Would You Buy?  (Read 18791 times)
XFactor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »

I'm in the market for a new deer rifle. I've only hunted with a bow and shotguns in the past due to the areas I have hunted. My dad just acquired a sizable piece of hunting land and I am now able to use a rifle. I also will be hunting in Alabama at my dads lease. I've looked at several rifles, but I haven't nailed it down as of yet.

What would you recommend out of the following calibers?
30-06
7mm

Are there any other calibers you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

X

Team BuckedUp Mud Racing #86
yfz450runner

live to ride, skip work as much as possible

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:22 AM »

Hey. The 270 is to small. you will have to be a perfect shot with well placement for the kill. 7mm might be ok. I would go with 30-06. alot of rifles kick up. not so with the 30-06. i kicks straight back. meaning better shots every time with little pulling of angle. also a 35 cal would work for you if funds are tite. but the 35 pulls up, not as much as 270 and some others. and dont forget the 308 cal. great knokdown power, kicks straight back but can be a pricy weapon. hope this helps.
XFactor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

I thought about the .308 but I forgot to list it. I think I'm leaning towards the 30-06 and the .308.
Any more thoughts?

X

Team BuckedUp Mud Racing #86
rancher1

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »

I have a 308 auto great gun good knockdown and accurate.The 30-06 and 308 are close to the same guns both good, never had one run off more than 20 yards.
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »

I've been using 7mm Rem Mag for close to 20 years and I like it far better than the 30-06.  You have a higher velocity which translates to a flatter trajectory, longer range and has all the power needed to take down any big game in North America.  I would also recommend the Remington Model 700 as a rifle, as well.  Very durable, highly accurate and not terribly expensive.  You will also need to purchase a scope.  As a rule, you should plan to spend at least as much for the scope as you did for the rifle.  Buy the largest aperture that you can afford; it's the key to a great scope.  The bigger the aperture, the more light it lets in.  I personally use a Burris 3-10x50 (variable power 3x to 10x, 50mm apperture).  Nikon is another great scope as well as Leupold but both are quite expensive compared to the Burris.  Go to a quality shop that hopefully will have all three scopes and compare them side by side. 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
yfz122
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »

Hey. The 270 is to small. you will have to be a perfect shot with well placement for the kill. 7mm might be ok. I would go with 30-06. alot of rifles kick up. not so with the 30-06. i kicks straight back. meaning better shots every time with little pulling of angle. also a 35 cal would work for you if funds are tite. but the 35 pulls up, not as much as 270 and some others. and dont forget the 308 cal. great knokdown power, kicks straight back but can be a pricy weapon. hope this helps.
I've had a 35 marlin for a very long time. I love it. When I was younger I would take the biggest rifle I could out there. Then I realized they get heavy real quick. So I started taking a .270 and learning some patience.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:28:36 AM by yfz122 » Logged

Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away
Anoriginal

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »

Any of these guns are great choices. I own several of all of these calibers and like them all.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the 30-06. For the simple reason that it's large enough to do anything in the United States you wish. Believe it or not, it's even the most popular Elk round in the USA. Another good reason to select this caliber is the fact that just about any Mom and Pop store you walk into that sells ammo will have a box of 30-06 on the shelf.

The .270 is an excellent round as well. Let me be clear, it's not too small. That's absolutely not right. Also all of that crap posted about kicking up verses back and "pulling angle" (wtf?) is total garbage and not true either.  In fact, it's been called the best deer round ever created. What's more, the ballistics are on par with the 30-06 (within 200 fps at the muzzle and at 100yrds). Regarding "kick", the .270 and the 30-06 are essentially the same as the cartridges are almost identical, save bullet diameter.

The 7 mag is a wonderful round as well. Like I said, I have several of all of these calibers and sometimes hunt with the 7 mag. However, the 7 mag definitely kicks back quite a bit and damages at lot more of the animal upon impact. Flatter and faster? Yes. Better? No, unless you're in a very specific situation. If you insist on a magnum cartridge, there are better choices available than the 7 mag these days.

Regarding the .308. I think it is an excellent round too. In my opinion, it's as good a choice as the 30-06 in most situations as is the .270. Oh, and it's not any more money than the 30-06 or the .270.

Regarding rifle brands, Diggin is right abou the Remington Mod. 700. It is an excellent gun out of the box and it will not jurt you too bad on price. The same can be said of the Winchester Mod. 70 and even the Savage 7 line which is actually the best performing high production rifle on the market today (the trigger is awesome!!!). Spend the money on a good scope (Leupold, Ziess, Swarovski, Khales, Burris [high end] and Schmidt & Bender) and even better mounts. Don't just go to the local Wally World and buy the Tasco cheapo clamps. They don't hold up.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on these guns. Also, depending on where you're located, I'd be happy to let you try out all of these guns at the range sometime.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:36:17 AM by Anoriginal » Logged
yfz450runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »

Any of these guns are great choices. I own several of all of these calibers and like them all.

If I had to pick one, I'd say the 30-06. For the simple reason that it's large enough to do anything in the United States you wish. Believe it or not, it's even the most popular Elk round in the USA. Another good reason to select this caliber is the fact that just about any Mom and Pop store you walk into that sells ammo will have a box of 30-06 on the shelf.

The .270 is an excellent round as well. Let me be clear, it's not too small. That's absolutely not right. Also all of that crap posted about kicking up verses back and "pulling angle" (wtf?) is total garbage and not true either.  In fact, it's been called the best deer round ever created. What's more, the ballistics are on par with the 30-06 (within 200 fps at the muzzle and at 100yrds). Regarding "kick", the .270 and the 30-06 are essentially the same as the cartridges are almost identical, save bullet diameter.

The 7 mag is a wonderful round as well. Like I said, I have several of all of these calibers and sometimes hunt with the 7 mag. However, the 7 mag definitely kicks back quite a bit and damages at lot more of the animal upon impact. Flatter and faster? Yes. Better? No, unless you're in a very specific situation. If you insist on a magnum cartridge, there are better choices available than the 7 mag these days.

Regarding the .308. I think it is an excellent round too. In my opinion, it's as good a choice as the 30-06 in most situations as is the .270. Oh, and it's not any more money than the 30-06 or the .270.

Regarding rifle brands, Diggin is right abou the Remington Mod. 700. It is an excellent gun out of the box and it will not jurt you too bad on price. The same can be said of the Winchester Mod. 70 and even the Savage 7 line which is actually the best performing high production rifle on the market today (the trigger is awesome!!!). Spend the money on a good scope (Leupold, Ziess, Swarovski, Khales, Burris [high end] and Schmidt & Bender) and even better mounts. Don't just go to the local Wally World and buy the Tasco cheapo clamps. They don't hold up.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on these guns. Also, depending on where you're located, I'd be happy to let you try out all of these guns at the range sometime.

I have fired many weapons. some military and some civilian. kick up is a real issue and can lead to a bad shot.dont even try to tell me WTF if you have never heard of a pulling angle then you are not a true marksman. 270 is a great round. but to small for my taste. Thanks for trying and have a great day!!!!  Bump
Anoriginal

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »

Relax sparky. You don't know what you're talking about so give it a rest. Please.

Anyway, like I said, Xfactor, let me know if you have any questions or if you're in the Tampa Bay area and want to try out these different guns.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

i too am wanting a rifle. i am lookin at that Smith and Wesson 30-06. Smiths are great guns and we have a few already. Never let us down. Before i found them, i was looking at Savage, Remington, and Tikka. I also checked out a Ruger. im gonna get a 30-06. i have pondered wether to get a .308 or a 30-06 alot. but, like mentioned, you will always be able to find ammo and there are more choices.
Anoriginal

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »

Fox17, I assume you're talking about a Smith &Wesson i-bolt. That is an excellent gun for sure.  Wink Steve Skrubis was the designer of that gun for Smith and they use the Thompson barrels on the gun (Smith&Wesson bought Thompson a few years back). Skrubis is a long gun god to most rifle aficionados and really made a nice package in the i-bolt.

Excellent fit and finish and a really nice gun. Congrads to you! It will last you a long long time.
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »

I would agree with what Anoriginal has said, BUT would like to add a question to it.
 What type of area are you going to be hunting in? Open areas or heavily wooded areas? That would be the deciding factor for me.
 We also own all of the above mentioned caliber rifles and all are perfect for each specific type of hunting.
 If I were going to open fields or open hard woods such as in Alabama, I would use the .270, just choose wisely on the ammo. We use a ballistic round in our .270`s which gives you the flat trajectory and Knock down power.
 Now if you were going to more heavily woode areas, probaly choose something from the 30 caliber family. The -06 can blow through small twigs with out as much trouble of deflection versus the .270.
 Just something to think before you buy.
 I would try to take Anoriginal up on his offer before you buy, He is an great guy who can help you if you listen.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

Fox17, I assume you're talking about a Smith &Wesson i-bolt. That is an excellent gun for sure.  Wink Steve Skrubis was the designer of that gun for Smith and they use the Thompson barrels on the gun (Smith&Wesson bought Thompson a few years back). Skrubis is a long gun god to most rifle aficionados and really made a nice package in the i-bolt.

Excellent fit and finish and a really nice gun. Congrads to you! It will last you a long long time.

yea, i couldnt think of what it was called. i didnt even know they made rifles (except assault riflre for police) but they do! and shotguns. i saw it in a field and stream. so i went online and its not too bad price wise either. i was expecting a browning price tag but nope. for the camo weather shield its like $630. i dont know how much a gun store would have it for though. are they more or less than msrp usually?
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »

I would agree with what Anoriginal has said, BUT would like to add a question to it.
 What type of area are you going to be hunting in? Open areas or heavily wooded areas? That would be the deciding factor for me.
 We also own all of the above mentioned caliber rifles and all are perfect for each specific type of hunting.
 If I were going to open fields or open hard woods such as in Alabama, I would use the .270, just choose wisely on the ammo. We use a ballistic round in our .270`s which gives you the flat trajectory and Knock down power.
 Now if you were going to more heavily woode areas, probaly choose something from the 30 caliber family. The -06 can blow through small twigs with out as much trouble of deflection versus the .270.
 Just something to think before you buy.
 I would try to take Anoriginal up on his offer before you buy, He is an great guy who can help you if you listen.

You and troy will get a kick out of this.  I can John Wayne any gun out there.  Remember that day?  Back on topic here.  I have shot a 30-06 pump for the past 5 years dear hunting and love it.  I am also a major explorer.  One that gets out of the tree stand and walks for 3 or 4 hours exploring new territory looking for signs.  I don't know much about guns and their weight, but the only complaint I have about my 30-06 is it can get heavy as the day goes on.  If you walk alot and hunt deep in the woods like I do, I would consider weight as a major factor in buying a gun.  Then again, I have an office job, so I don't walk alot, that could contribute to it too.
Anoriginal is right about the scope.  Had a cheap tasco on it, and after it fogging up a few times I ditched it.  I would suggest spending the money on a good scope.  Nothing like having a nice deer scoped out and the scope fog up.  Can lead to a frustrating hunt.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
yfz450runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »

Relax sparky. You don't know what you're talking about so give it a rest. Please.

Anyway, like I said, Xfactor, let me know if you have any questions or if you're in the Tampa Bay area and want to try out these different guns.

Sorry but i do. Just becouse you have a Dumb_$$ opinion does not make you right. just give xfactor real facts and leave your opinion out of it!!! If you have never felt the pull of a rifle then like i said you are not a real marksman and should shut up, now!!! xfactor you should however take up anoriganal on his offer to try out the guns. that would be the best way to make a propper choice. also what dynodon said holds very true. hunting in a field or in thick brush will be very different on the round and how it acts. either way we have a right to bear arms and we should all excersise this right.  Toast
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »

OUCH, my side hurts from laughing......... Thats was one funny act of agression that HOT azz georgia day Jason!!!!
 Thanks I needed a good laugh, LOL

Back to the topic now, I usually use my Remington model 700, .270 almost everywhere from Michigan, maine, to Georgia. But I dont usually hunt really thick under brush terrain.
 I have never had a problem bagging an animal with it ( Smokedog can testify to that) , But,being patient is key to a good clean shot with any firearm you choose.

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Anoriginal

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:58 PM »

The "pull" of a rifle?  As in trigger pull? Or do you mean pull as in rotation from tension when pulling the trigger? Or maybe you mean pull as in rifle sizing for an individual?

And angle? I mean the ballistics on the .270 and the 30-06 are extremely close with the .308 not too far behind. So, I assume you must be talking about bullet drop over distance? Well, that depends an extreme amount on bullet weight and caliber. Not just one or the other. All three calibers are used in Match competition on a regular basis. (But I guess you probably know that already as well as the impact of cross wind, rotation, mirage, humid swell, horizoning, etc...) Yeah, I didn't think so.

Keep posting, you're making me laugh and demonstrating you've got no idea about the subject. I mean, arguing the .270 is too small (umm, it's a 7mm and can be the same exact weight of a 7.62 [.30 cal] round) demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. I especially love the part about a 30-06 only kicking straight back while other calibers kicking up. That was funny as he-l.

Oh, and that's funny about me having a dumb-azz opinion too. Especially given my background on firearms. If you only knew, you'd feel so stupid right now. Anyway, relax. You're too funny.

Fox17, if you shop it, you'll probably be able to beat that price at a reputable gun shop. That's not a bad price on those guns. I've seen the same gun sell for over $700.00. Just shop around and I am confident you'll get a good deal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:45:21 PM by Anoriginal » Logged
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

this might get good.  Roll Eyes
Anoriginal

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

Okay, three people have sent me e mails asking me what I shoot regularly. My favorite hunting rifle in my collection (that I actually hunt with) is a Kenny Jarrett Custom Windwalker in .300 Jarrett. Talley mounts and a Schmidt & Bender Precision Hunter in 2.5-10x56 with the No.9 Reticle and the BDC system.

Although, I have a Ed Brown, Bushveld on order in .300 Win Mag. It may surpass my affection for the Kenny Jarrett. We'll see. It should be here next month. It's coming with a Swarovski PV in 3-12x50. Should be a nice rig. Thumbs Up
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

X, Anoriginal knows what he's talking about.  I've been around guns most of my life and everything he said is true, including the damage a 7mm Rem Mag sometimes does.  It's definitely a round where you pick your shot unless you want to ruin a lot of meat.  I do my hunting primarily in Alabama, both in woods and across patureland.  I've never had problems shooting in either environment and I've made head shots from over 300 yards (with witnesses) with my set-up.  The one thing you need to consider when you're shopping is to not get caught up too much in going with esoteric brands.  There eventually comes a point of diminishing returns so don't worry if you can't afford that $3,000.00+ bolt action rifle when there are $600.00 rifles that will do reasonably as well.  Only the most accomplished marksman will notice the difference between a Model 700 and some of the brands Anoriginal is naming.  Even if you can't meet up with Anoriginal, try to find a range that might have rental rifles in the calibers you're interested in so you can feel them first hand.  One last point I would like to confirm that Anoriginal made is availability of rounds.  On one of my hunting trips I had to drive 50 miles (round trip) to a store that had 7mm Rem Mag when if I had been shooting 30-06, I could have purchased from the gas station 2 miles down the road.  Just something to consider.  BTW, I shoot the 7mm because I don't think it kicks as hard as the 30-06 in addition to the other qualities I mentioned above, just in case you're wondering.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:22:55 PM by digginfool » Logged

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »

And angle? I mean the ballistics on the .270 and the 30-06 are extremely close with the .308 not too far behind. So, I assume you must be talking about bullet drop over distance? Well, that depends an extreme amount on bullet weight and caliber. Not just one or the other. All three calibers are used in Match competition on a regular basis. (But I guess you probably know that already as well as the impact of cross wind, rotation, mirage, humid swell, horizoning, etc...) Yeah, I didn't think so.

Not to nit-pick, but weight really doesn't have anything to do with bullet drop.  Every bullet drops at the same acceleration (gravity).  Velocity has everything to do with drop over distance; a bullet travelling 3000 fps will not have dropped as much at 200 yards as a bullet travelling 2700 fps.  The further out you go, the more pronounced the difference.  Aerodynamics also have something to do with drop since a bullet that is decelerating quicker than another will take longer to cover the distance (and thus drop farther due to the acceleration of gravity).  The engineer in me had to set the record straight.   Wink

shogun323
Supreme Member

Fuzzy Pickles #1 Dancer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:39:57 PM »

Should you decide to go with a 270, I have a Brand new never fired Winchester Model 70 .270 with a Seimens scope, synthetic stock that I'd like to sell. I bought it years ago with the anticipation of learning to hunt. But, I already have too many irons in the fire. If you are interested shoot me a PM (no pun intended).

I have $550 into it but I'll take $450.

"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein
Anoriginal

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:10 PM »

Not to nit-pick, but weight really doesn't have anything to do with bullet drop.  Every bullet drops at the same acceleration (gravity).  Velocity has everything to do with drop over distance; a bullet travelling 3000 fps will not have dropped as much at 200 yards as a bullet travelling 2700 fps.  The further out you go, the more pronounced the difference.  Aerodynamics also have something to do with drop since a bullet that is decelerating quicker than another will take longer to cover the distance (and thus drop farther due to the acceleration of gravity).  The engineer in me had to set the record straight.   Wink

Absolutely. You and I are 100% on the same page.  A 150gr bullet in the .270 verses in the 7 mag will definitley have different drop rates due to the amount of powder (thus velocity) behind it. Good clarification.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:05:02 PM by Anoriginal » Logged
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »

Absolutely. You and I are 100% on the same page.  A 150gr bullet in the .270 verses in the 7 mag will definitley have different drop rates due to the amount of powder (thus velocity) behind it. Good clarification.  Wink

I'm glad you agree.  As an illustration, you can also compare the 30-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag each in 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, Federal Premium.  Their muzzle velocities are within 95 fps of each other (3025 for the 7 and 2910 for the 06).  However, at 300 yds the difference increases to 173 fps.  The culprit?  Cross-sectional area, creating more aerodynamic drag.  Thus, the 30-06 will have dropped further at 300 yds than the 7mm Rem Mag.  I could do the math and tell you exactly what the difference is but I don't feel like it.  This is a minor difference in the decrease in velocity (18% versus 21%) until you go into some of the bigger calibers.  For instance, the 470 Nitro Express 500 gr bullet decelerates by 33% over the same distance.  There is, of course, a huge difference in bullet shape and cross-sectional area between the 470 and either of the other two.  Drag is the culprit here.  After all, the only two forces acting on any bullet between the time it leaves the muzzle and contacts the target is gravity and aerodynamic drag.  Since gravity only affects the vertical component, the horizontal component is strictly affected by aerodynamic drag.  So there you have it; your dynamics lesson of the day.    Lecture     Wink
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:27:53 PM by digginfool » Logged

rancher1

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »

Well put!!!! Clapper Bow
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com